Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Sem packing list

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:11 pm
Do all the sems provide a list? Is there something genetic out there thats current. Could use advise on travel card/mobile phone/allowance amount etc. Anything out there I can read please?
Many thanks

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:14 pm
Sent half as much clothing and twice as much money as you think you'll need. Some schools have group rates for phones, so check. Otherwise, go with Golan.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:20 am
Set up a bank account for your daughter with a debit card so you can transfer money easily. (Or, you could give her a credit card).

Phones depend on if you have a smartphone or not.

Winter coat probably needed for Yerushalayim or Tzfas. It even snows in those cities. Also a light coat. A good overnight bag or small pull along suitcase for travelling around in Israel. (large backpack might work) This can double as hand luggage. (good idea

There are local services which sell bedding to seminary students so you have more luggage allowance.

My daughter took shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, make up, detergent pods, a few boxes of cereal, tea, and other nosh or food you can't get in Israel, or its more expensive there.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:45 am
My FIL always said to use the shampoo of the country you are in because it is designed for that country’s water. Since the water in EY is very hard American shampoo MAY not lather as much. Don’t know if it’s true.

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 4:05 am
amother wrote:
My FIL always said to use the shampoo of the country you are in because it is designed for that country’s water. Since the water in EY is very hard American shampoo MAY not lather as much. Don’t know if it’s true.

It is true. I would never bring shampoo or conditioner from the US to Israel.
It's so heavy.
Pantene is very affordable in Israel. No need to shlep.

Seminaries usually dictate what kind of phone and plan the girls can have.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 5:36 am
Anything she can buy here, BUY here! Toiletries etc, even if it's more expensive! It's not worth the room, weight, shlep and all, and making sure they don't spill. It's also good for girls to learn to adapt to other countries and survive without their favorite shampoo.

So any toiletries buy here, Tresseme is also sold here now BTW. Buy bedding here, like someone said above you can buy bedding, pillows, etc here, which leaves more room. Definitely needs a coat and jackets for cold weather. Rain boots, etc. Anything you'd ship off with her to sleep away camp.

Teach her how to do laundry before she leaves. Set up an allowance and teach her how to budget. Help her come up with a list of expenses like travel, gifts for shabbos hosts, etc, that she will need to figure in every month.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:17 am
Have her bring one bottle each of shampoo/conditioner because she needs something until she gets her bearings and learns her way around. But she can find more in Israel.
If she's particular about deodorant, that is something she should definitely bring a years worth of.

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
Have her bring one bottle each of shampoo/conditioner because she needs something until she gets her bearings and learns her way around. But she can find more in Israel.
If she's particular about deodorant, that is something she should definitely bring a years worth of.

Maybe a small travel size bottle for the first few days but every makolet sells shampoo. All seminaries have a makolet nearby. As soon as she finds SuperPharm for the first time she will see that there are many brands of shampoo and toiletries.
I agree about deodorant, though. She should bring what she likes if she is particular.

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 12:11 pm
I recommend bringing travel sized bottles of mouthwash, shampoo, and conditioner- they're very useful for overnight trips and seminary shabbatons. It's not practical to shlep full sized bottles around. She could just bring one of each, and then refill as necessary.

Shabbos and weekday shoes should be good for walking long distances in. Sem girls walk a lot,

It's easier and more practical to have a small suitcase to use for shabbosim away from the dorm, rather than an over-the-shoulder bag. Those get heavy!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 12:55 pm
Charles Schwab bank is a bank in the US and the card can be used at any bank in Israel at no charge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics