Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it tacky to just give cash?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:13 pm
At the end of the school year I usually get my children's bus driver a gift card to either Target or Amazon. This year I have been somewhat busy the last few weeks and totally forgot to get. They finish school tomorrow and I really would like to give him something as he is a really good driver. Is it really tacky if I just give him cash with a little note instead? I just don't know if I have the energy to run out tonight to get a gift card.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:14 pm
Not tacky. A note is great.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
At the end of the school year I usually get my children's bus driver a gift card to either Target or Amazon. This year I have been somewhat busy the last few weeks and totally forgot to get. They finish school tomorrow and I really would like to give him something as he is a really good driver. Is it really tacky if I just give him cash with a little note instead? I just don't know if I have the energy to run out tonight to get a gift card.

I always tip in cash at the end of the school year. AFAIK, that's the norm, and its what the drivers prefer.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:18 pm
Cash is tacky only between husband and wife or child to parent. Your bus driver probably prefers cash to gift cards. I know I would. With cash I buy what I want where I want, it never expires, and if I prefer it can go right into the bank or the pushke or be invested or used to light my cigar, all as I see fit.

Eta who says your driver shops at Target or Amazon? Not everyone does.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:23 pm
zaq wrote:
Cash is tacky only between husband and wife or child to parent. Your bus driver probably prefers cash to gift cards. I know I would. With cash I buy what I want where I want, it never expires, and if I prefer it can go right into the bank or the pushke or be invested or used to light my cigar, all as I see fit.

LOL. I thought you would write that it always the right color and fit.

I just gave my mil several benjamins because of the type of reasons you listed. Not everyone agrees with us. My mil complained to DH that I should have given her something useful like socks. I never saw her in socks, so it would never occur to me to buy her some.

Amother because I told this story IRL.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:34 pm
Cash it is. Thanks all.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 4:01 pm
What's an appropriate amount not to be considered too small? What if it's a smaller ride/ private or semi-private driver?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette