Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Would you go swimming by yourself?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not saying it's safe or the wise thing to do, but I have gone swimming by myself dozens of time. Backyard pools are generally not that big and you're always within arms distance of a wall to grab on just in case of a cramp or something. I only stick to doing laps, without overextending myself, or relaxing on a float. I don't jump in, dive or anything that even hints of a risk.

Again, I know its completely not safe and I don't advise anyone to do this, but there is just something to that peace and serenity of a quiet pool all to myself.

I know too many people who have lost parents because they were swimming in a pool alone and something happened to them while they were swimming and they drowned because of it. All these people were great swimmers.

mirror

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:43 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I know too many people who have lost parents because they were swimming in a pool alone and something happened to them while they were swimming and they drowned because of it. All these people were great swimmers.

This is my first time hearing of such a thing. I have heard of people passing out in hot tubs though.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:48 pm
mirror wrote:
This is my first time hearing of such a thing. I have heard of people passing out in hot tubs though.

I know two families that had many yesomim because of this. It's not something to take lightly.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:49 pm
Tichellady, are you really comparing an adult taking a bath alone to swimming alone???

penguin

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:51 pm
It's interesting because I recently read a couple of books that took place in the "olden days" and people went swimming in the ocean alone. And I'm thinking, No, no, you shouldn't do that...

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
No way! It's very unsafe. I'm a lifeguard & I would never ever go swimming by myself.

Me too! I learned how to swim not long after I learned how to walk. Swimming is practically second nature to me. I never swim alone.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:54 pm
Op here.
Never either knew it wasnt allowed.
I asked a friend if she wants to go, she told me she goes by herself every day, I could come with her (it wasnt a convenient time for me). So I was wondering if others do it too. But I think I'm too scared.

Quote:

You really know many adults who drowned while swimming by themselves?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.
Never either knew it wasnt allowed.
I asked a friend if she wants to go, she told me she goes by herself every day, I could come with her (it wasnt a convenient time for me). So I was wondering if others do it too. But I think I'm too scared.

Quote:

You really know many adults who drowned while swimming by themselves?

I said "too many". Even one is "too many". But I personally know the children of 2 adults who have drowned while swimming alone in a pool.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:42 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

It happened to a relative of mine, he had a heart attack while swimming alone Sad my husband nearly drowned after getting a cramp, Baruch Hashem he was with a friend who was able to save him.
please don’t.

chicco

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:50 pm
Drowning to death is the type of thing that can hopefully be avoided. There is no reason anyone should be in a position where that is a possibility. Being near any sizeable amount of water, even as a great swimmer, holds that unnecessary risk. Tripping and bumping your head and passing out and falling in the water is fatal. Having a heart attack. Heat stroke. Etc etc. Just the possibility of something happening and the added danger of being in or close to water is just something people don't need to risk.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:57 pm
Speaking as a former lifeguard and swimming instructor, I, my mother (who was also a lifeguard and swimming instructor) and my daughter (a current lifeguard and swimming instructor) would NEVER, EVER swim alone. EVER. PERIOD. And we are EXCELLENT swimmers, all of us.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 10:01 pm
I do it often. But I see what you are all saying that it could be dangerous.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 12:17 am
I never thought about it, at least for an adult in a backyard pool.

What about eating alone? What if you choke?

How about solitary hiking?

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 1:00 am
NO! NO! NO!

and same for solitary hiking.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 1:45 am
In israel many people have pools that aren't built into the ground, that are only 4 or maybe 5 feet. I think that's definitely fine to swim in alone.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 2:25 am
Minimum I would do is have someone in the house watch me on video if the didn’t want to sit outside

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 2:39 am
amother wrote:
Tichellady, are you really comparing an adult taking a bath alone to swimming alone???

Listen, I really think driving is way more dangerous than swimming alone. Having a heart attack or stroke while driving could cause many deaths. I don’t see why having a heart attack in a pool is more dangerous than in a bathtub. Honestly having a heart attack anywhere is terrifying and not something you can really plan for. Personally I don’t live my life assuming I’m going to have a heart attack at any time. I think it’s responsible for someone not to swim alone but honestly I don’t think it’s actually so dangerous. Feel free to disagree with me and be more cautious, I won’t judge you.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 3:34 am
I swim alone in my pool every morning. It's only 4'.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 4:37 am
I know someone that slipped, banged their head, fell into the water and drowned. It's so sad. Obviously it was time for him to go... but it's still sad that he was alone, and died from a stupid fall. He was so young!

Most people that drown though that they where in control, that they swim good enough or that it's not deep...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:57 am
I would. I know my limits and wouldn't do something I find dangerous. I don't always think bad.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics