Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Would you go swimming by yourself?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:33 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I don't think the burden is on people to show it's allowed or they have a heter. The burden is on those who say it's assur to show that there is a halacha against it. Can you tell us where the source that it's assur is?

Ask any knowlegeable, experienced swimmer what the first rule of swimming is. NEVER SWIM ALONE.

Surely that falls under the category of v'nishmartem me'od l'nafshotechem, if nothing else.

shoshanim999

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
Ask any knowlegeable, experienced swimmer what the first rule of swimming is. NEVER SWIM ALONE.

Surely that falls under the category of v'nishmartem me'od l'nafshotechem, if nothing else.

Why surely does it fall into the category of guarding one's life very carefully? I can't even imagine the actual odds of an experienced swimmer who is swimming alone having a fatal accident as a result of being alone. I doubt it's any higher than having a fatal accident in a car, crossing a street, or cooking in the kitchen. I think for something to be assur because of the posuk you quoted, it has to be more than a 1 in a xxxxxx chance of an accident actually occurring.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics