Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Supervisor sent non-business email - WWYD?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 12:37 am
I got an email from a work supervisor about a political protest march. It made me uncomfortable. Should I

assume it was a mistake (meant to send to someone else? But from her work email...?) and ignore it?

assume it was a mistake and point this out to her in a friendly way?

reply to the email trying to nicely let her know that I don't love getting political emails in a business relationship?

talk to someone else in the office about it? (the supervisor isn't part of a clear hierarchy. I'm a definite underling but above me there's a whole team. I'm friendlier with some.)

try to forget it ever happened?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 12:43 am
Ignore it.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 12:46 am
Treat like any other spam. Ignore and delete.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 12:57 am
If it's a one time thing, I'd say it's not worth making an issue over.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 3:08 am
I don't get the issue? If they sent something inappropriate it would be a problem but what is there to dwell on if they just forwarded a political email?

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
I don't get the issue? If they sent something inappropriate it would be a problem but what is there to dwell on if they just forwarded a political email?

If OP works for a government agency this could be a violation of the agency’s work and ethics rules. Even the employer is not a government agency, It could be a violation of the employer’s email policy, either because it’s political or because it’s not work-related. Furthermore , it could be viewed as an attempt to exert undue influence because the sender is a supervisor sending to a subordinate. Not necessarily a legal issue but certainly an ethical one.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:44 am
Try to forget it happened.

Even if it is not permitted, that is the supervisor's issue and not the recipient's issue.

No good ever came from bringing up "faults" of supervisors unless it is absolutely necessary for your own well being.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:46 am
I would ignore unless it continues.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:54 am
I would erase it and not give another thought.

Can you share with us your concerns about the matter?

Miri7

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 12:47 pm
I’d ignore it. If it happens again, I’d nicely tell the supervisor “hey, I think you’re accidentally sending political emails from your work account. Just wanted to let you know.” I know that I have to be careful when sending an email on my phone to select the right email account. I have 4.

Also, people in my building will often forward emails about political protests to say - “ this is happening and may impact your commute.”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics