Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Crash course what going on with immigration?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:23 pm
In a nutshell: The US doesn’t think anything is their responsibility. During the war they put the Japanese in internment camps because not us= enemies. During and after the Holocaust, their borders were closed, because Jews=not us=enemies. Now there are crises in South America and Mexico. They’re criminals. Because they want to live. Raise of hands please- whose grandparents sneaked over a border illegally to save their lives? It’s not different when it’s us in trouble. I for one owe a debt to a particular Central American country for taking in my grandparents when the US wouldn’t.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Also, these people have not committed any crimes. Under 8 USC 1225 and under INA 208 people who are fleeing persecution are allowed to come to the United States and apply for asylum. These laws were enacted in response to the Holocaust."

It they are not committing a crime and are actually fleeing from persecution then why are they entering illegally?

Some people say that there are many gangs and violence in these countries but there are also many gangs and violence in America. How do we know that they would be safer in America than they are in their own country?

If parents are paying thousands of dollars to send their kids to America with smugglers then why not pay for a plane ride and have these kids plead asylum at the airport (or on a train or bus whichever is more convenient)? Why go through all that expense and put their kids in danger if they are really being persecuted in their countries and would therefore qualify for asylum once they get here?

Op, you should know that what is going on is basically an invasion by Latino people. They believe that they have a right to be in the United States because they are indigenous to the US and are therefore entitled to be here regardless of the laws.

Either way, illegal aliens have it good in America. They get free education and other services for their children and can get lawyers and other benefits that even American citizens cannot get. If you can get all these things then why would you not come here illegally and do whatever you want? And since lefties will fight everything Trump does regardless of the rights and safety of American citizens, then the illegal aliens will continue to defy our laws and the end results will be that citizens will have to eventually flee the country due to not be able to get jobs (in many places you need to speak spanish to get a job), or because of gangs and violence, or high taxes etc all of which are direct result of illegal aliens who don't care about America and want to destroy it.

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:27 pm
If it wasn't clear already, this morning's events underscore why this topic has everyone so outraged now as opposed to five or ten years ago. It was important to keep the cameras off of Senator Trey Gowdy as he eviscerated IG Michael Horowitz on his findings in the investigation of DOJ actions in the Clinton email case.

When his opportunity came to speak, ranking Democratic Representative Elijah Cummings had no questions or comments for Mr. Horowitz at all. Instead, he spent his allotted time delivering an impassioned protest against family separation.

I'm going to remember that strategy. The next time DH is annoyed that I forgot to pick up his cleaning, I'm going to launch into a speech about the annexation of Tibet by China.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
Tell you what. Post your REAL name and location, then we'll talk. But my color is not different than your fake name.

That's not what the rules of this site are. And by posting here, you agree to abide by the rules.

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:48 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
In a nutshell: The US doesn’t think anything is their responsibility. During the war they put the Japanese in internment camps because not us= enemies. During and after the Holocaust, their borders were closed, because Jews=not us=enemies. Now there are crises in South America and Mexico. They’re criminals. Because they want to live. Raise of hands please- whose grandparents sneaked over a border illegally to save their lives? It’s not different when it’s us in trouble. I for one owe a debt to a particular Central American country for taking in my grandparents when the US wouldn’t.

I don't condone what was done to the Japanese in America. But after Pearl Harbor, there was legitimate fear of harboring the enemy. In short, it was wartime in a war we were forced to enter.

Our population is more than doubled from WWII today. We need to look out for our own underclasses before importing the billions of people wanting the economic benefit of living in the US.

The people coming here are not fleeing state sponsored murder. They may claim they are fleeing gangs or domestic violence. They very well may be, or they very well have been coached to say that. The gangs are coming here as well as the domestic violence. One day an illegal immigrant woman told me her "husband" knocked out her teeth. She was missing her front teeth. Many women from central America told me their "husbands" best them up. This is in the US.

Why not take in all of India because the women legitimately fear rape? Why have any borders because your grandparents were taken in when fleeing state sponsored murder?

There is a complete lack of compassion for people we are responsible to protect. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have our standards of living, but they must come first.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:53 pm
Fox wrote:
If it wasn't clear already, this morning's events underscore why this topic has everyone so outraged now as opposed to five or ten years ago. It was important to keep the cameras off of Senator Trey Gowdy as he eviscerated IG Michael Horowitz on his findings in the investigation of DOJ actions in the Clinton email case.

When his opportunity came to speak, ranking Democratic Representative Elijah Cummings had no questions or comments for Mr. Horowitz at all. Instead, he spent his allotted time delivering an impassioned protest against family separation.

I'm going to remember that strategy. The next time DH is annoyed that I forgot to pick up his cleaning, I'm going to launch into a speech about the annexation of Tibet by China.

Actually, the entire Trey Gowdy farce is to try to distract people from Mueller. Because he's starting to strike terror in the heart of the Trump camp. Expect indictments of Junior and Kushner. Expect them to be pardoned before any trial.

But nice try.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 6:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
I don't condone what was done to the Japanese in America. But after Pearl Harbor, there was legitimate fear of harboring the enemy. In short, it was wartime in a war we were forced to enter.

Our population is more than doubled from WWII today. We need to look out for our own underclasses before importing the billions of people wanting the economic benefit of living in the US.

The people coming here are not fleeing state sponsored murder. They may claim they are fleeing gangs or domestic violence. They very well may be, or they very well have been coached to say that. The gangs are coming here as well as the domestic violence. One day an illegal immigrant woman told me her "husband" knocked out her teeth. She was missing her front teeth. Many women from central America told me their "husbands" best them up. This is in the US.

Why not take in all of India because the women legitimately fear rape? Why have any borders because your grandparents were taken in when fleeing state sponsored murder?

There is a complete lack of compassion for people we are responsible to protect. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have our standards of living, but they must come first.

I agree that we can't let in everybody that wants to come but shouldn't they at least deport the kids with the parents? If they don't, then we have more Dreamers.

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 6:06 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, the entire Trey Gowdy farce is to try to distract people from Mueller. Because he's starting to strike terror in the heart of the Trump camp. Expect indictments of Junior and Kushner. Expect them to be pardoned before any trial.

But nice try.

Well, Mueller had better get cracking. He's had over a year, and so far, it appears that the primary collusion to sway the election was occurring in the DOJ.

I'm curious where this alleged terror is evident, though.

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 6:10 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I agree that we can't let in everybody that wants to come but shouldn't they at least deport the kids with the parents? If they don't, then we have more Dreamers.

I agree the whole family should be deported together.

sushilover

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:08 pm
Fox wrote:

My thought exactly!!!!! I have to admit, it's brilliant.

sushilover

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
This from a friend who gave permission to post:

"So I’m an immigration lawyer and I’ve been practicing for over 25 years. Family separation is new and unique to Trump. Clinton did pass a draconian Immigration bill in 1996 that is still the law. But the 1996 bill did not provide for family separation. The mandatory detention provisions for immigrants have been the subject of many Supreme Court decisions and we are still figuring it out. But it seems like detention for 180 days or longer is unconstitutional. Obama started placing unaccompanied minors into Office of Refugee Resettlement custody until they could be released to family members or foster parents. He also started the practice of family detention where mothers and children were detained together and the fathers were detained separately. We fought against that too.
Family separation is a Trump policy. It is not mandated by the Immigration and Nationality Act or by the Flores Settlement.
Also, these people have not committed any crimes. Under 8 USC 1225 and under INA 208 people who are fleeing persecution are allowed to come to the United States and apply for asylum. These laws were enacted in response to the Holocaust."

So does your friend have an answer as to what should be done with families who entered illegally? Should the families be released into the US, and probably never heard from again like Obama did during the later part of his presidency? Should they be denied asylum and sent back to their country as a family?

Also, should a family entering legally with a visa be given priority for asylum over families who enter illegally and only apply for asylum when they are unlucky enough to be caught?

tryinghard

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:

But nice try.

What terror? And what inside information do you have for these expected indictments? Because they seem to keep coming up with evidence against the DOJ and occasional Democrats.

BTW Pewter, I'm waiting - you said if I reveal my name and location, we'd talk. But maybe you're like Mueller - big talk but nothing substantial when your bluff is called.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 8:43 pm
"Because he's starting to strike terror in the heart of the Trump camp. Expect indictments of Junior and Kushner. Expect them to be pardoned before any trial."

"I agree the whole family should be deported together."

And this, kids, is why we shouldn't skim threads but read a bit more thoroughly.

(Spinoff: Collages)

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 8:59 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
"Because he's starting to strike terror in the heart of the Trump camp. Expect indictments of Junior and Kushner. Expect them to be pardoned before any trial."

"I agree the whole family should be deported together."

And this, kids, is why we shouldn't skim threads but read a bit more thoroughly.

(Spinoff: Collages)

Rolling Laughter

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:09 pm
sushilover wrote:
So does your friend have an answer as to what should be done with families who entered illegally? Should the families be released into the US, and probably never heard from again like Obama did during the later part of his presidency? Should they be denied asylum and sent back to their country as a family?

Also, should a family entering legally with a visa be given priority for asylum over families who enter illegally and only apply for asylum when they are unlucky enough to be caught?

Her friend is an immigration lawyer shedding light on the law and its history and a bit on how its been enforced. She's not a policy maker - she doesn't need to have an answer. She doesn't even need to have an opinion.

Hatemywig

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Her friend is an immigration lawyer shedding light on the law and its history and a bit on how its been enforced. She's not a policy maker - she doesn't need to have an answer. She doesn't even need to have an opinion.

The real test will be when the laws are brought to congress in order to avoid such situations.

Will the Democrats vote for them or not?

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:30 pm
Squishy wrote:

No part of this explains why we must separate children from their parents while deciding what to do with them.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:37 pm
Quote:

at this very moment, while the vast majority of the country is mobilizing in outrage at the family separation policy, Congress is deliberating whether to cut billions in funding from Medicaid and Medicare. The Trump administration is busy fighting to strip protections from people with pre existing conditions. Please, tell me more about how this is all motivated by "compassion" for Americans living in poverty.

Not to mention that all this border enforcement costs money. money for more border agents. more judges. more guards. food and clothing, housing and medical attention for thousands of children. you know what would be cheaper? Letting families take care of their own children.

at least the people arguing that they're animals who deserve what's coming to them are being honest. They're not piously claiming that their response is rooted in compassion.

Anyway, dont you keep sayimg that thanks to Trump we have the best economy in world history? Let's use some of that wealth to take care of our poor instead of pouring out our wrath on the poorest and most vulnerable in our midst.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
It they are not committing a crime and are actually fleeing from persecution then why are they entering illegally?

Some people say that there are many gangs and violence in these countries but there are also many gangs and violence in America. How do we know that they would be safer in America than they are in their own country?

If parents are paying thousands of dollars to send their kids to America with smugglers then why not pay for a plane ride and have these kids plead asylum at the airport (or on a train or bus whichever is more convenient)? Why go through all that expense and put their kids in danger if they are really being persecuted in their countries and would therefore qualify for asylum once they get here?

Op, you should know that what is going on is basically an invasion by Latino people. They believe that they have a right to be in the United States because they are indigenous to the US and are therefore entitled to be here regardless of the laws.

Either way, illegal aliens have it good in America. They get free education and other services for their children and can get lawyers and other benefits that even American citizens cannot get. If you can get all these things then why would you not come here illegally and do whatever you want? And since lefties will fight everything Trump does regardless of the rights and safety of American citizens, then the illegal aliens will continue to defy our laws and the end results will be that citizens will have to eventually flee the country due to not be able to get jobs (in many places you need to speak spanish to get a job), or because of gangs and violence, or high taxes etc all of which are direct result of illegal aliens who don't care about America and want to destroy it.

You sound exactly like Trump. I'm sure your middos are as admirable as his. (You should take that as a compliment! )

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:24 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Quote:

at this very moment, while the vast majority of the country is mobilizing in outrage at the family separation policy, Congress is deliberating whether to cut billions in funding from Medicaid and Medicare. The Trump administration is busy fighting to strip protections from people with pre existing conditions. Please, tell me more about how this is all motivated by "compassion" for Americans living in poverty.

Not to mention that all this border enforcement costs money. money for more border agents. more judges. more guards. food and clothing, housing and medical attention for thousands of children. you know what would be cheaper? Letting families take care of their own children.

at least the people arguing that they're animals who deserve what's coming to them are being honest. They're not piously claiming that their response is rooted in compassion.

Anyway, dont you keep sayimg that thanks to Trump we have the best economy in world history? Let's use some of that wealth to take care of our poor instead of pouring out our wrath on the poorest and most vulnerable in our midst.

We are taking care of our underclass when our economy is booming and unemployment is the lowest ever. Importing cheap labor destroys their gains. Holding jobs gives them dignity. We break multi generational welfare families this way.

My compassion for those who are more disadvantaged than me is demonstrated by my volunteer work in inner cities. Unlike you, I am not an armchair liberal. Wearing a genitalia hat and screaming at the sky does not demonstrate compassion and caring for our poor. It doesn't even dominate logic.

The majority of Republicans support stopping the flood of illegal aliens passed our borders. This is Trump's base of power.

The money spent on the wall will be more than paid for because we won't be supporting people who come here illegally and sponge off our generosity. It also will stop the transfer of our dollars to their home countries. 69 Billion dollars were sent home in remittances last year. That's much much more than 69 Billion that is taken from our economy if you understand beginning economics. That's 69 Billion that is not being spent on food, housing, clothes here. Money that earned here by those purchases in turn generates more money for our economy. There are different multipliers in different parts of the US. I never crunched the numbers, but a guesstimate is that $69 Billion cost our economy half a trillion dollars.

Your logic is flawed. Any children coming here get Medicaid. They get free schooling and food. They get free lawyers. Their families are not providing for them. We as taxpayers are. A giant chunk of my property tax goes to support illegal immigrants nearby. I would pay thousands less if I didn't have to pay for their schooling and the health and dental care of the adults. They don't pay their fair share of other municipal services they use because they live in illegal overcrowded conditions. It is certainly not the families paying. It is Americans subsidizing.

It is just like you to say not to talk about the economy. Even Bill, the winning, Clinton understood it is the economy, stupid.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics