Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Kol Isha & Hashkafa

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:44 am
I am genuinely curious because I was rather surprised and shocked and I would like to understand.
I came across an instagram account of a woman who seems to be part of the very yeshivish or heimish world, extremely dressed tzanua. Only at the of her bio it says Kol Isha. It's an account with all tons ofof her singing and performing.

Why did I not think it was okay? I found her on my home page randomly where anyone who clicks volume on watches. Even frum men wouldn't see the Kol isha written in her bio there. What is the letter of the law? Spirit? Am I wrong to expect more from someone so "frum" looking and associating? Am I just not taught? Is it actually totally fine and I just don't know?

Thanks

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:06 am
Are you distressed by her use of the term, or by her performance? Is the term the title of her written piece or a notice to warn would-be viewers that there are clips of her singing? Is it the name of her all-female singing troupe? Some authorities forbid only live singing. According to those opinions, men may listen to recordings of female singers. Some authorities forbid only solo singing and allow listening to female choirs.

I don’t think you should “expect” anything of anyone no matter what they look like.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:16 am
I don't have an answer to your question, OP, but I want to commend you for the kind, non-judgmental tone of your post. If more people would post like you do, we wouldn't have threads complaining about nasty posters and bashing...

Kudos to you! Thumbs Up Cheers

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:19 am
It's there I think to warn. I just was surprised because I guess I expected different from those who associate that to the right end haskafa. And if I am off base from a halachic or hashkafic view I want to know and learn.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:19 am
I think the responsibility is on the men not to watch it....

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:24 am
My understanding is women are permitted to sing. She is singing.

I don't see the conflict. She's not setting up a stage in the parking lot of shul and performing after minyan is out - that would be problematic.

tachles

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 5:25 pm
The way I learned it is the obligation of not listening to women singing is on the men , not on the women to safeguard them against this.
Men that are interested in keeping this Halacha will not press play.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions