Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Holocaust survivors' relatives and the immigration crisis
Previous  1  2

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 1:00 am
I asked my FIL about this, he was born on the run fleeing the Nazis and made it out with his immediate family, and spent time in the DP camps after the war.

He said he has always had a lot of sympathy for refugees, asylum seekers and families feeling danger. He also said having grown up in an immigrant family, he knows how hard his parents worked, and I know that he always tries to support businesses owned by immigrants. He relates to that and remembers when his father couldn’t find work because he was Jewish.

There is plenty of room to say - this is not the same as the Shoah, but my experience (or my family’s experience, handed down in stories) does help me relate to some of the feelings or experiences of others. As a people, we are reminded to remember that we were once slaves in Egypt. This helps us to be empathetic or compassionate to others but doesn’t require us to first say that their experience is the same as ours. BH, another Shoah isn’t happening here, but I think our experience as a people gives us opportunity to feel empathy and compassion.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 3:25 am
Miri7 wrote:
I asked my FIL about this, he was born on the run fleeing the Nazis and made it out with his immediate family, and spent time in the DP camps after the war.

He said he has always had a lot of sympathy for refugees, asylum seekers and families feeling danger. He also said having grown up in an immigrant family, he knows how hard his parents worked, and I know that he always tries to support businesses owned by immigrants. He relates to that and remembers when his father couldn’t find work because he was Jewish.

There is plenty of room to say - this is not the same as the Shoah, but my experience (or my family’s experience, handed down in stories) does help me relate to some of the feelings or experiences of others. As a people, we are reminded to remember that we were once slaves in Egypt. This helps us to be empathetic or compassionate to others but doesn’t require us to first say that their experience is the same as ours. BH, another Shoah isn’t happening here, but I think our experience as a people gives us opportunity to feel empathy and compassion.

I feel compassion. By all means, enter the country legally, and let's evaluate your asylum claim using the established legal process for doing so. Let's vet you to make sure you are not an MS13 gang member or a drug dealer or a murderer or a relations trafficker.

I also feel compassion for US citizens, and do not want to burden them with supporting illegal aliens, paying for their benefits, or falling victim to their crimes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics