Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
VENT: no house phone for babysitter
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:39 pm
A young girl shouldn’t have to purchase a phone to babysit someone else’s kid. This is major negligence on the part of the parents to leave anyone in their home that can’t call for help if there is an emergency.
One of my daughters didn’t used to have a landline. Whenever she had a babysitter she would let them beforehand that she is leaving her cell phone with them and had them make sure it was ok with their parents. One girl turned down the offer because her mother didn’t want her to have access to a smart phone. I give credit to such a mother who sticks to her beliefs.
The following day my son in law ordered a land line.
It’s unsafe to leave your child in the car when u run into the store “for just a minute”. It’s just as unsafe to leave your kids home without access to a phone for emergencies.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:42 pm
I don’t know anyone who babysits who doesn’t have a cell phone. I guess we live in different communities. I agree that your daughter does need to have a phone when babysitting and the situation sounds frustrating

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:42 pm
imamothertoo wrote:
A young girl shouldn’t have to purchase a phone to babysit someone else’s kid. This is major negligence on the part of the parents to leave anyone in their home that can’t call for help if there is an emergency.
One of my daughters didn’t used to have a landline. Whenever she had a babysitter she would let them beforehand that she is leaving her cell phone with them and had them make sure it was ok with their parents. One girl turned down the offer because her mother didn’t want her to have access to a smart phone. I give credit to such a mother who sticks to her beliefs.
The following day my son in law ordered a land line.
It’s unsafe to leave your child in the car when u run into the store “for just a minute”. It’s just as unsafe to leave your kids home without access to a phone for emergencies.

Its unfair to loose out on babysitting jobs when there is a solution. If Mr. and Mrs. Young parents can hire another sitter who either doesn't care about lack of home phone, or has her own phone, then the other sitter gets the jobs, and OPs daughter sits home and stews.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
Its unfair to loose out on babysitting jobs when there is a solution. If Mr. and Mrs. Young parents can hire another sitter who either doesn't care about lack of home phone, or has her own phone, then the other sitter gets the jobs, and OPs daughter sits home and stews.

So what are you saying? I don't understand.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
So what are you saying? I don't understand.

I'm saying your daughter wants to babysit.

What is standing between her and jobs is the safety issue 'no access to phone while babysitting'.

She is going to loose out on potential jobs because of this. Jobs that other girls will get.

Help her get a phone so that she can work.

(Yes the young parents are irresponsible).

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:04 pm
For those who suggest she get a phone, she doesn't have a phone bc its not the right time yet. If we wanted her to gave one, she already would. Half her friends have and half don't. Its not weird for her not to have.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:

What is standing between her and jobs is the safety issue 'no access to phone while babysitting'.

She is going to loose out on potential jobs because of this. Jobs that other girls will get.

Maybe. We will think about it. Its complicated. We definitely are not rushing into a big decision. Its just especially frustrating bc these young people don't realize that most parents need landlines. They are so stubborn.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:30 pm
We used to live in a place where it was more common for babysitters to have phones. I was able to reach them, and wasn't worried about not having a home phone. When we moved to a community where the teenagers mostly don't have cell phones, we made sure to put in a land line. Once my kids got a little older, I was able to teach them how to use the phone in case of emergency. My land line is still barely used, mostly only used by my kids and babysitters.

I would never leave a babysitter without a phone, nor would I ask a mother to gives hers to her daughter. Once my home phone was down, so I left my cell phone with the babysitter while I went out with my husband.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe. We will think about it. Its complicated. We definitely are not rushing into a big decision. Its just especially frustrating bc these young people don't realize that most parents need landlines. They are so stubborn.

I don't think the issue is landlines per se, unless they're located in a place where cell phone reception is spotty. The point is having a phone available for safety and emergencies. The parents can provide a cell phone, or have a prepaid one on hand precisely for these reasons. Landlines is going the way of the typewriter, and the process has already started. Many new homes are being built without them.

The question is actually who should provide the cell phone - the parents or the sitter? Imo, it should really be the parents who provide all the necessary equipment for the baby sitter, but it actually comes down to supply and demand. If there are plenty of sitters available, and some of them do have their own phones, the parents may just hire those who do. If there aren't enough sitters, and the babysitters request phones, then they parents may just have to oblige.

So, OP, if you live in a town where there are enough sitters, with their own personal phones, available for hire, you may just have to get your daughter a phone if you want her to have some sitting jobs. Whether the parents are in the right or the wrong doesn't really matter if you are concerned about how many jobs will be available to her without her not having a personal phone.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:

Okay. I'm not sure that giving her a phone to have when she is working is a big deal - but I don't understand the dynamics of your family.

I understand you are frustrated - but that's not helping your daughter.

My 14 year old self would be very resentful of my parents if I was being held back from making money. (My 14 year old self would probably have purchased a phone).

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:53 pm
I don’t think being resentful of your parents is the way to see it. As a parent I would sit down my daughter and say we need to discuss babysitting in general. I know u want to babysit but there r ground rules. And talk about safety. And knowing Hatzolah phone number. And the importance of being responsible and never putting oneself in a situation where if something came up they have no access to calling for help. What if a kid is choking. Or she smells smoke. Or she gets scared that she hears someone at the door. You would want her to b able to call you or emergency personnel if the need arises.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:54 pm
A girl who is not old enough or responsible enough to own a phone isn't old enough or responsible enough to babysit young children. If she's trustworthy enough watch precious babies, she should be trusted with a phone.

Though I'm of the older generation and have a landline (with a corded phone, to work in case of a power outage), I don't know any young couples who have landlines. They probably assume that their babysitter has a phone.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:59 pm
I’ve got four couples with kids. Three of them got landlines for this reason. The fourth has an extra cell for this purpose.
Old enough to babysit doesn’t mean a parents wants their kids to have a phone. Whether it’s for monetary reasons or their chinuch reasons or simply because they don’t want to lie when they sign the school letter that’s makes them sign that their kid doesn’t have a cell phone. Irrelevant to why the kid has no phone, I’m still trying to understand how any parent would b ok without having a phone for their babysitters

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:

IME, most girls are not dying to babysit. Rather it is usually the parents who are desperate to find someone who is available and willing to babysit. So I would think it is really the parents who are losing out by not having a phone and thereby losing out on potential babysitters. I guess it is different in different communities but I wish I had girls in my neighborhood lining up to babysit my kids and not wanting to lose out on babysitting jobs.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
A girl who is not old enough or responsible enough to own a phone isn't old enough or responsible enough to babysit young children. If she's trustworthy enough watch precious babies, she should be trusted with a phone.

What on earth is the connection? There are many good reasons not to give phones to kids. My girls don't get before 16, and they are definitely ready, responsible (much sought) babysitters for several years before that.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:

If the parents are so irrpsonsible about this one thing, I don't even want my daughter working in their house.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 10:27 pm
amother wrote:
I’ve got four couples with kids. Three of them got landlines for this reason. The fourth has an extra cell for this purpose.
Old enough to babysit doesn’t mean a parents wants their kids to have a phone. Whether it’s for monetary reasons or their chinuch reasons or simply because they don’t want to lie when they sign the school letter that’s makes them sign that their kid doesn’t have a cell phone. Irrelevant to why the kid has no phone, I’m still trying to understand how any parent would b ok without having a phone for their babysitters

If Op doesn't want her daughter to have a phone for whatever reason she can get an extra prepaid phone and just give it to DD when she babysits.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 10:30 pm
Note that any old cell phone, even without a service plan, will still work to call emergency numbers.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Note that any old cell phone, even without a service plan, will still work to call emergency numbers.

Does that include hatzalah or just 911?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 1:16 am
amother wrote:
OP here. But why can't they get the obi as a tiny safety investment?? How can they refuse that and make dd feel bad bc she has to turn down jobs. Dd is upset with me that I am telling her she has to turn down most if her jobs. What's with these young ppl??

I agree that they can't expect you to provide a phone.
However, if there are other girls who can take the job, who will bring their own phone, they don't have to get a landline just so that YOUR daughter can babysit.
That's your doing, not theirs. (And no, I also wouldn't give my daughter a phone at that age. But, I still don't see why you think they're obligated to accommodate you, if they're happy to find someone else.)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children