Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Fake news - iconic crying girl never separated from mom
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:12 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
I am semi suspicious of a man who would give an interview to international media making his wife look like a liar. My husband wouldn’t give such an interview about me. No one has anyway of knowing if they’re divorcing, if he’s abusive, or if he’s keeping her from seeing her children. This happens all over the world. No reason it couldn’t happen there.

yeah, I wouldn't take the fathers account at face value without further confirmation.

But hey, it starts at the top. Trump lies multiple times a day and it's lauded as "brilliant strategy." When the media gets something wrong there are immediate corrections and apologies. But hey, maybe theyre just brilliant strategists too.

Never mind that whether or not this particular girl was separated has no bearing on the overall story. Thousands of children have already been separated from their parents with no ID and no plan for reunification. That's the story. That's why people are outraged. And it's not going away, no matter how much conservatives will mock, deflect and kick sand in the air.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:16 pm
Fox wrote:
Check who's funding your fact-checkers -- and what facts they're choosing to check.

There was little interest, for example, in "fact-checking" the racism of NY Daily News columnist Linda Stasi, who suggested in a tweet that a Puerto Rican Fox News commentator "should be picking grapes." The woman, who is not involved in reporting, made the mistake of dating Don Trump, Jr.

Unlike Roseanne, Stasi has kept her job.

But what's to check, really? It's obviously okay to use slurs against Hispanics if you're doing it to attack the Trump family, right?

Stasi said, "When it comes to picking men, though, she’d be better off picking grapes."

Is there really a racist thing about Puerto Ricans picking grapes? Do they even grow grapes in Puerto Rico? I've never heard of this.

Stasi, of course, responded:

Quote:
Absolutely no idea that Kimberly Guilfoyle is half Puerto Rican...and my column was in no way meant as a slur. Nonetheless I will change that reference online. I'm just surprised anyone would have assumed such a stereotype b/c someone is half-Latina. So sorry for misunderstanding

The column, BTW, stated that it is a conflict of interest for a reporter to report on someone she has a relationship with. Do you disagree?

Roseanne said of a black woman, "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj."

And yeah, referring to a black woman as an ape is about top of the racist heap.

In any case, none of this has a darned thing to do with fact checking. But you know that.

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:21 pm
Squishy wrote:
This wife deserted him more than once and stole his daughter and deserted her own 6 year old child. She was not happy where she was.

Who knows how much money he was paid for the interview?

The Jewish Press reported the other day that the 8 month old who was ‘killed’ at the Gaza border had some kind of blood disorder, and Hamas offered money for the parents to say that the Israeli army killed her. People will say anything for money.

Fox

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
"Reporting" on crazy conspiracy theories as if they have some basis is problematic. "Pizzagate" was aluminum hat territory.

And the NY Times is not "far left." Its left, not far left. Slate is far left.

And do you really interpret emails prior to the election saying that Trump won't become president, "we'll stop it" as an FBI plot to overturn the election that hadn't even happened yet? That's pretty much aluminum hat territory.

You are proving my point. Rather than deciding upfront that Pizzagate was false, Breitbart investigated. Once it was proven to be false, Breitbart no longer reported on it.

Once upon a time, that was considered journalists' job -- to investigate stories no matter where they led -- like a few guys arrested breaking into the DNC headquarters at the Watergate. Obviously no story there.

If you or I texted "we'll stop it," referring to someone becoming President, I would indeed not consider it a serious threat. However, coming from someone with judiciary powers over the investigation of both candidates, I consider quite problematic. Particularly in light of subsequent texts after the appointment of Mueller.

Fox

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The column, BTW, stated that it is a conflict of interest for a reporter to report on someone she has a relationship with. Do you disagree?

Yes, actually

She's not a reporter and has no reporting responsibilities. But this has been widely ignored, thus the need for fact-checking.

I'm glad to know the rules, though: it's okay to use a slur against Hispanics if you aim it at a different type of Hispanic, thus excusing yourself on a technicality. Got that, everybody?

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:36 pm
Jeanette wrote:
yeah, I wouldn't take the fathers account at face value without further confirmation.

But hey, it starts at the top. Trump lies multiple times a day and it's lauded as "brilliant strategy." When the media gets something wrong there are immediate corrections and apologies. But hey, maybe theyre just brilliant strategists too.

Never mind that whether or not this particular girl was separated has no bearing on the overall story. Thousands of children have already been separated from their parents with no ID and no plan for reunification. That's the story. That's why people are outraged. And it's not going away, no matter how much conservatives will mock, deflect and kick sand in the air.

Jeanette,

This is really sick thinking. The truth matters.

It made my blood boil when I heard that it didn't matter if a particular black person was guilty of a particular crime, that person was guilty of something. I heard that from an ADA.

It gets me sick when people think other people are interchangeable. They are not! It has bearing because it destroys credibility.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:37 pm
Fox wrote:
You are proving my point. Rather than deciding upfront that Pizzagate was false, Breitbart investigated. Once it was proven to be false, Breitbart no longer reported on it.

Once upon a time, that was considered journalists' job -- to investigate stories no matter where they led -- like a few guys arrested breaking into the DNC headquarters at the Watergate. Obviously no story there.

If you or I texted "we'll stop it," referring to someone becoming President, I would indeed not consider it a serious threat. However, coming from someone with judiciary powers over the investigation of both candidates, I consider quite problematic. Particularly in light of subsequent texts after the appointment of Mueller.

Pizzagate was and is tin hat territory, and no publication with a shred of journalistic integrity would have printed anything about it in the absence of stone cold hard proof. But Breitbart didn't care if it was true, as long as it was damaging and they put in the correct modifiers.

Watergate was investigated BEFORE it was reported on. See the difference?

A better comparison would be if the NY Times had run a front page investigation about Melania Trump actually being in NYC, and a body double living in the White House. But they didn't, because its ridiculous. Although its possible they investigated because, well, they probably look into lots of things.

And you're still reaching with the FBI emails. Troubling? Sure. But that's about it.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:41 pm
Fox wrote:
Yes, actually

She's not a reporter and has no reporting responsibilities. But this has been widely ignored, thus the need for fact-checking.

I'm glad to know the rules, though: it's okay to use a slur against Hispanics if you aim it at a different type of Hispanic, thus excusing yourself on a technicality. Got that, everybody?

For heavens sake. Would you stop making things up?

And yes, she works on The Five. Where "Five of your favorite Fox News personalities discuss current issues in a roundtable discussion." "News personality." Hmmm. What does that mean? Discussing current events. About someone she has a relationship with. Hmmmm.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:50 pm
You know which FBI story is truly alarming and was largely ignored? The fact that the FBI field office in N.Y. was leaking info to Rudy Guliani and threatening to go public with highly sensitive info. So sensitive that the FBI director felt compelled (rightly or wrongly) to go public himself days before the election, which actually DID have a measurable effect on the election. But sure, let's keep waving around some texts that an FBI agent exchanged with his girlfriend.

As far as this huge breaking plot discovered in those texts, what exactly was their plan besides venting to each other?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:52 pm
Jeanette wrote:
You know which FBI story is truly alarming and was largely ignored? The fact that the FBI field office in N.Y. was leaking info to Rudy Guliani and threatening to go public with highly sensitive info. So sensitive that the FBI director felt compelled (rightly or wrongly) to go public himself days before the election, which actually DID have a measurable effect on the election. But sure, let's keep waving around some texts that an FBI agent exchanged with his girlfriend.

As far as this huge breaking plot discovered in those texts, what exactly was their plan besides venting to each other?

Maybe they were going to conspire with the Russians. The Russians would then give a call to Clinton's child and offer information ....

Oh, wait. Wrong campaign.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:59 pm
Squishy wrote:
Jeanette,

This is really sick thinking. The truth matters.

It made my blood boil when I heard that it didn't matter if a particular black person was guilty of a particular crime, that person was guilty of something. I heard that from an ADA.

It gets me sick when people think other people are interchangeable. They are not! It has bearing because it destroys credibility.

I agree with you. My son was once mugged by a gang of black teenagers in the middle of the night in Crown Heights. When the police asked him to identify the gang through mug shots, he couldn't be sure so he declined to accuse anyone. The truth was important and he didn't want an innocent man to get arrested.

The problem with making a child who was not separated into the poster child for separated children is that it might actually weaken the argument that these children need advocates and supporters.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
Do you hold the same standards for conservative journalists, or are they always above any kind of reproach?

Your question is based on a different frame of reference than where I'm coming from. I don't view current events like a sports team, where the goal is for "my team" to score the most points.

It's about forming opinions based on facts and underlying philosophies; looking to support rational policies that are productive, fair, beneficial and moral.

I'm actually not familiar with too many conservative journalists; mostly I read conservative opinion pieces and analysis based on events that have been reported by others.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:06 pm
for people who just yesterday were all ROFL at those liberals getting all worked up with their fake tears and p**** hats, you're all sounding pretty worked up yourselves! And over what? That there are thousands of kids right now still in detention who may never see their parents again? Lolololol fake news! No, we are OUTRAGED, OUTRAGED I say that a newspaper used a picture of the WRONG CHILD!!! My blood is boiling!!1! How absolutely sickening.

Now imagine you're a parent who may get back the WRONG CHILD! Or maybe never get back their child at all, LOL! Well, MAGA, should have thought of that before coming into our country. Those kids have it better in these baby jails than they ever did at home. and it's more than they deserve.

Last edited by Jeanette on Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:08 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
The Jewish Press reported the other day that the 8 month old who was ‘killed’ at the Gaza border had some kind of blood disorder, and Hamas offered money for the parents to say that the Israeli army killed her. People will say anything for money.

She left 3 kids behind, she has done this in the past, and her husband was crying in the interview because of the danger that his 2 year old daughter was exposed to on this journey.

Sure, the father could theoretically be lying for money, even though no one has offered any evidence of same. But caring about only the accuracy of facts that support one's position is, again, not journalism. It's promoting an agenda.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:12 pm
Jeanette wrote:
for people who just yesterday were all ROFL at those liberals getting all worked up with their fake tears and p***y hats, you're all sounding pretty worked up yourselves! And over what? That there are thousands of kids right now still in detention who may never see their parents again? Lolololol fake news! No, we are OUTRAGED, OUTRAGED I say that a newspaper used a picture of the WRONG CHILD!!!

Now imagine you're a parent who may get back the WRONG CHILD! Or maybe never get back their child at all, LOL! Well, MAGA, should have thought of that before coming into our country. Those kids have it better in these baby jails than they ever did at home. and it's more than they deserve.

Don't you watch Fox?

They're like summer camps. Well, maybe not summer camps. More like boarding schools.

I'm sure they look like that. That's why the guests on Fox have their African American friends calling to say how much they'd like to be able to live in one of the detention centers, because they're much nicer than housing projects.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:16 pm
Jeanette wrote:
for people who just yesterday were all ROFL at those liberals getting all worked up with their fake tears and p***y hats, you're all sounding pretty worked up yourselves! And over what? That there are thousands of kids right now still in detention who may never see their parents again? Lolololol fake news! No, we are OUTRAGED, OUTRAGED I say that a newspaper used a picture of the WRONG CHILD!!! My blood is boiling!!1! How absolutely sickening.

But there should be a disclaimer when showing these pictures because otherwise, this is just what happens; people don't know who to believe. I try to look and numerous news sources but I am sure that many people can't, don't or won't and they will believe that if this story did not end in a separated child, not that there are no separated children, but that some parents don't have a credible enough argument of why they are in the country and therefore deserve to have their kids remove. The new sources need to be responsible to tell us what it really is; a child who is crying because her mother is being searched.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:19 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Don't you watch Fox?

They're like summer camps. Well, maybe not summer camps. More like boarding schools.

I'm sure they look like that. That's why the guests on Fox have their African American friends calling to say how much they'd like to be able to live in one of the detention centers, because they're much nicer than housing projects.

Walmart Warehouse academy actually didn't look that bad. My grandkids are in sleepaway camps that look worse but of course, they get to communicate with their parents whenever they want. The government pays more for the care of some of these kids than they do for poor American citizens so I would imagine that some poor Americans want to know why the homeless of their communities can't live that nicely.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:24 pm
southernbubby wrote:
But there should be a disclaimer when showing these pictures because otherwise, this is just what happens; people don't know who to believe. I try to look and numerous news sources but I am sure that many people can't, don't or won't and they will believe that if this story did not end in a separated child, not that there are no separated children, but that some parents don't have a credible enough argument of why they are in the country and therefore deserve to have their kids remove. The new sources need to be responsible to tell us what it really is; a child who is crying because her mother is being searched.

I think 6oW did a good job breaking down what the media got right and wrong in this instance.

But do you think any of the outrage on display is a little misplaced here? I mean, we're supposed to overlook the fact that the first lady wore a coat screaming "I REALLY DON'T CARE" but melt down over a picture?

The fact that children are being separated from is not a contrived media conspiracy -- it was announced by the government itself! So I'm not seeing how anyone can call "fake news" and make the story go away.

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:36 pm
Jeanette wrote:
for people who just yesterday were all ROFL at those liberals getting all worked up with their fake tears and p***y hats, you're all sounding pretty worked up yourselves! And over what? That there are thousands of kids right now still in detention who may never see their parents again? Lolololol fake news! No, we are OUTRAGED, OUTRAGED I say that a newspaper used a picture of the WRONG CHILD!!! My blood is boiling!!1! How absolutely sickening.

Jeanette,

The truth matters. It matters to the black male who loses his liberty or even his life because someone wanted a conviction and the guilt or innocence of the suspect didn't matter.

I used to go knocking on doors to get the vote out for Democrats when I thought they cared about the American underclass, specifically black Americans.

Who would have thunk in those days that the Republicans are better for American minorities. The Democrats are too busy with illegal immigrants and importing cheap labor.

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:45 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
I am semi suspicious of a man who would give an interview to international media making his wife look like a liar. My husband wouldn’t give such an interview about me. No one has anyway of knowing if they’re divorcing, if he’s abusive, or if he’s keeping her from seeing her children. This happens all over the world. No reason it couldn’t happen there.

The Government of Honduras confirmed the husband's version of events.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics