Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Beets in the chicken soup
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:23 am
I once saw on a foodie's Instagram story that she puts beete in her chicken soup for a golden color does anybody else do that? When or for how long do I put in?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:26 am
amother wrote:
I once saw on a foodie's Instagram story that she puts beete in her chicken soup for a golden color does anybody else do that? When or for how long do I put in?

she put in golden beets I imagine?

No. I don't do that. My soup has fine color as is.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:31 am
@spiceandzest
no a purple beet! imagine that strong color gives a golden color!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 2:45 am
amother wrote:
@spiceandzest
no a purple beet! imagine that strong color gives a golden color!

Okay... well don't use too many and keep an eye on that soup - seems to me all you'll get is pink.

myname1

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:22 am
I had a guest once who suggested adding a tomato for the color. I thought it was strange, but whatever. I don't think there is an exact science to when or how. It's not so significant, so just give it a try and see how it goes. I would just add it with the rest of the veggies for as long as you leave those in (take out if/when you remove the rest).

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:15 am
Maybe she’s color blind.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:20 am
I once took out a cookbook written by Rabbi Twersky, from my local Jewish lending library. I forget the title, but it was full of recipes of old that his mother used to make. Really interesting, I enjoyed reading it. I seem to remember that he said to put a beet into the chicken soup (in addition to a whole list of ingredients. I'm sure that soup would be delicious!)

However, I would think it would turn the soup pinkish, wouldn't it?

I have heard of putting tomatoes and green peppers into chicken soup. My friend's mother made it that way, and it was delicious (the veggies were removed and discarded, whole.)

ces

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:33 am
I put a beet in my auto. Initially it turns the soup pink, then it becomes a deep golden color. I do cook my soup overnight, I'm not sure it will work if you only cook 1-2 hrs. The beet comes out colorless at the end, and I figure it adds health benefits as well as color to my soup.

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 12:20 pm
My mother in law does that. She puts a beet in the soup and its not pink/purple at all. It turns golden. I don't think it affects the taste.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 12:25 pm
I'm done with chicken soup making until the chagim - but I will try this now - very curious.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 12:30 pm
Never tried it, but wouldn't it turn purple?

jweiss

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 12:30 pm
I use a lot of freshly ground pepper in my soup, and to start it off I boil just the water, salt and pepper. Once im ready to put the chicken and veggies in the soup already had a nice golden look to it. I also use a hole chicken in the soup (dont worry I use the meat in all diff ways thoughout the week) and I find that all the meat and bones deff add color to my soup.

rdmom

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 12:31 pm
I do this. My kids love the beet, which after cooking for awhile loses its color. It does turn the soup purple and then a beautiful golden color. Amazing

trixx

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:16 pm
I'm really annoyed by all the initial pessimistic comments from people who admit they've never tried it.

Yes. I do it all the time. Cook it til the beet is colorless and the broth turns gold. If you don't cook long enough the broth will be pink and the beet still have color.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:25 pm
My soup is golden and clear every week and I’ve never used a beet or tomato.

crust

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 3:32 pm
Yes, it makes the soup pink for the moment but once the beat is cooked, there is nothing left of that color.
I add tomatoes and green peppers for taste.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 5:58 pm
I add paprika to my soup to give it a golden color.

artsy

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:00 pm
Yes I also was told that a long time ago and I used to do it for a while. Even thought the beet is bright red/purple it turns the soup golden like everyone said.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:01 pm
Does the beet add any flavor to the soup? I’m not really a fan of beets.

4pom

Post Sat, Jun 23 2018, 11:38 pm
I like the idea. For those who do it do you use fresh beets or those in the vaccum package?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen