Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How to help husband stop drinking soda
1  2  Next

hello321

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:00 am
I would like my husband to stop drinking soda because its so unhealthy. But how?
Any tips? Please share

bsy

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:06 am
We have only on shabbos. Even then, usually it's snapple. We often have flavored seltzer too. And dilute soda or snapple with seltzer.

chatz

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:13 am
Don't bring things into the house that you don't want people to eat/drink. If it's a regular thing in your house till now, you may want to substitute it with healthier alternatives, ex a mix of juice and water (no added sugar).

But ultimately, stopping a behavior is up to that person.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:15 am
He is an adult, not a child. Don't try to micro manage his eating.

mom39

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:18 am
He'll stop when he wants to stop. If you don't bring it into the house, he'll buy it himself

hello321

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:25 am
I know he’s an adult. I didn’t say I’m forcing him. I want to help him because I care about him and it’s so unhealthy.
I’m not going to take it out of the house bec that is treating him like a child. How can I get him to realize how unhealthy it is

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:28 am
You worry about your own health. Leave him be.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:33 am
He obviously enjoys the sweet taste and must not be a water drinker

Maybe have a pitcher of lemonade or iced tea available

If you are buying soda and keep it cold in the fridge of course he will go for it. Either don’t buy it for him or don’t keep it in the fridge so it’s not so inviting.

I’m sure he knows that it’s not a healthy option as he is an adult. You can’t make an adult do something he doesn’t want to do, you can only make suggestions without nagging

bestme

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:41 am
You could show him a graph that has pictures of soda drinking calories vs. Other foods or tell him about the articles about soda that you read that explains that soda is not healthy. If he wants to limit or stop soda drinking then you could help him by not serving so much soda or keeping so much soda in the fridge and if he still wants to drink soda then keep on buying it. You could just give him the facts so that he could make an educated choice.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:46 am
notshanarishona wrote:
You worry about your own health. Leave him be.

I disagree. She will have to deal with the consequences if her dh chv"sh runs into health issues.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:50 am
Simple1 wrote:
I disagree. She will have to deal with the consequences if her dh chv"sh runs into health issues.

I drink soda . I would be very frustrated if my husband would start telling me it's unhealthy. I know that and am making my own informed choice. It's one thing if a spouse is dangerously obese but otherwise they make their own health choices.

mom39

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:52 am
Just like you can't force an overweight person to go on a diet, or a smoker to stop smoking cigarettes, you can't force this either. When he's ready, he'll do it

hello321

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:52 am
I also disagree. If I was making unhealthy choices I would want my spouse to tell/help me. Because we care about each other

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:54 am
We care about each other and if he does something dangerous like smoking or drag racing then yes I would voice my opposition but something a little unhealthy like eating junk food is a personal decision.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:59 am
notshanarishona wrote:
We care about each other and if he does something dangerous like smoking or drag racing then yes I would voice my opposition but something a little unhealthy like eating junk food is a personal decision.

Ok. I reread the OP. It's not clear if he drinks occasionally, or constantly in large amounts. The latter I would consider very unhealthy.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:05 am
Ultimately, you can't "help" him to do something that he doesn't want to do. I have been through these types of things with my own dh, and learned the hard way to leave it alone.

hello321

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:06 am
Large amounts
Im not getting too much support here.
Im not try to force him I guess im trying to help him realize how unhealthy it is....

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:09 am
I'm sorry, but do you really think he doesn't know that it's unhealthy? Because it seems unlikely. But you could talk about an article you read, etc. Just be careful not to push, because you will only make SB problems, and he'll still be drinking soda.

thanks

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:40 am
Why would you buy it? I just stopped buying. Not not for shabbos, not for guests. It's extremely unhealthy, has no benefit.
We all adjusted perfectly fine. My kids occasionally buy themselves a can, but I will not serve it knowing how harmful it is.
I've made vorts, bar mitzvas,, served only water and seltzer. Everyone survived.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:47 am
I used to be a soda drinker, and now I drink it rarely. I became a seltzer drinker instead. Much healthier and just as thirst quenching.

But I would've been really resentful if DH had gotten involved in my stopping. It was my choice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics