Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Hosting after having a baby
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:58 pm
I'm going to put this a lot more concisely than everyone else:
If the simcha comes out on yom tov, then most relatives will have to skip it.

Aren't they going to plan their yom tov in advance anyway?

IY"H they'll come to his wedding in a few years. Where I come from it is very normal to skip a bris if it's too inconvenient. If a person really wants to come, then they'll make their own arrangements and show up for the bris itself and nothing else. Don't offer anything. If they ask you say "Well, if you can make it to the bris we'd love to see you. If not, we understand."

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 8:15 pm
I’m also due with my first and live out of town away from family ( and there’s no kosher takeout or restaurants here). I can’t imagine not having my parents and in laws at the bris ( if it’s a boy) but I also am not planning on hosting them ( same with girl but we can be more flexible about planning an event for a girl) . I would work on coming up with other solutions. I have told my family that meals and sleeping arrangements will be their responsibility and my husband and community will try to help, but I am going to have other things to focus on once the baby comes. My parents and in laws understand and are respectful . If yours don’t, then that can be more complicated.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette