Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
One good outcome from the Mexican border mess

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:07 am
https://www.usatoday.com/story.....2002/

The District Attorney’s office in San Diego said Friday that the number of cases submitted to them by border authorities had more than doubled since the administration started its border crackdown. Spokeswoman Tanya Sierra said Homeland Security agents referred 96 drug cases to the office between May 21 and June 21, compared to 47 over the same period last year.

They have found more than the usual amount of drug smugglers but it is hard to concentrate on that while so many are coming to seek asylum. Keeping drugs out of the country must be the highest priority.

Still, we must insist on humane treatment of people who are coming to seek asylum, even if we can't let all of them stay.

Many of the children who were separated were left deliberately by deported parents who felt that their children would either be safer here and better off, or who simply couldn't put them through another dangerous trek.

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:50 am
southernbubby wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/06/22/zero-tolerance-immigration-crackdown-diverting-resources-drug-cases/727532002/

The District Attorney’s office in San Diego said Friday that the number of cases submitted to them by border authorities had more than doubled since the administration started its border crackdown. Spokeswoman Tanya Sierra said Homeland Security agents referred 96 drug cases to the office between May 21 and June 21, compared to 47 over the same period last year.

They have found more than the usual amount of drug smugglers but it is hard to concentrate on that while so many are coming to seek asylum. Keeping drugs out of the country must be the highest priority.

Still, we must insist on humane treatment of people who are coming to seek asylum, even if we can't let all of them stay.

Many of the children who were separated were left deliberately by deported parents who felt that their children would either be safer here and better off, or who simply couldn't put them through another dangerous trek.

We must start thinking of the kids and the spouses left at home. The fake news picture of the crying two year old doesn't tell the story of the other kids left behind when the mom sneaks out in the middle of the night. What about the husband's anguish? What about the drain in the labor force of the countries in Central America.

What about our underclass? How come American criminals can't stay with their kids when they commit felonies? Maybe we should just release all criminals who have kids. After all 3% of the illegal aliens return for their court dates. If they stay here long enough, then they get asylum. Who care about the fact the underclass are doing better economically when the market isn't flooded with cheap labor?

What about the parents who are permantly separated from their children by their murders by illegal immigrants? Why don't they count?

What about all the crazy crimes being committed in the news? A 15 year old boy was murdered by a Dominican gang with machetes in a case of mistaken identity. The Asian man chopped off his wife's arm and two fingers on her left hand. While no one is identifying if he is an immigrant, it appears he is. I think all immigrants should be identified because the public needs to know the truth.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 12:26 pm
Squishy wrote:
We must start thinking of the kids and the spouses left at home. The fake news picture of the crying two year old doesn't tell the story of the other kids left behind when the mom sneaks out in the middle of the night. What about the husband's anguish? What about the drain in the labor force of the countries in Central America.

What about our underclass? How come American criminals can't stay with their kids when they commit felonies? Maybe we should just release all criminals who have kids. After all 3% of the illegal aliens return for their court dates. If they stay here long enough, then they get asylum. Who care about the fact the underclass are doing better economically when the market isn't flooded with cheap labor?

What about the parents who are permantly separated from their children by their murders by illegal immigrants? Why don't they count?

What about all the crazy crimes being committed in the news? A 15 year old boy was murdered by a Dominican gang with machetes in a case of mistaken identity. The Asian man chopped off his wife's arm and two fingers on her left hand. While no one is identifying if he is an immigrant, it appears he is. I think all immigrants should be identified because the public needs to know the truth.

I agree with much of what you are saying but usually when an American citizen goes to prison, his kids can be in contact with him and he usually knows where they are living and whether or not they are with family or are in foster care.

If we are to keep low wage jobs for the American underclass then we have to establish a way to put them in proximity to the jobs because migrants are free to live as nomads while citizens usually aren't.

Also immigrants with ankle monitors usually do come to their court hearings.

anon for this

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 12:51 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I agree with much of what you are saying but usually when an American citizen goes to prison, his kids can be in contact with him and he usually knows where they are living and whether or not they are with family or are in foster care.

If we are to keep low wage jobs for the American underclass then we have to establish a way to put them in proximity to the jobs because migrants are free to live as nomads while citizens usually aren't.

The Family Case Management Program assigned families (mostly mothers and children) to social workers who helped them navigate immigration court. Only families who could prove that they had a credible fear of returning to their home countries could qualify. It cost $36 per day per family, and 99% of participants assigned to the program attended court appointments and ICE check-ins, including families who were ultimately deported. The Trump administration shut down that program last year.

Intensive supervision costs about $7 per person per day.

Family detention centers cost over $300 per person per day.

Source: https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/.....-cuts

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 3:51 pm
southernbubby wrote:

97 % of the immigrants with catch and release don't come to hearings. Do you have any statistics that back up that they usually come to court with ankle monitors? Usually, is not good enough. They will come to court when they ars detained.

We don't have to establish a way for Americans to be in proximity to low wage jobs. We have to keep out the illegal competition for low wage jobs. Then the wages will rise. Americans will move. The law of supply and demand.

The welfare families are able to travel to where the benefits are the most generous. Taxpayers ars leaving the blue states in droves because od the higher tax burden. Homeless go to cities that are the most generous. The underclass will move when the jobs are worth it. They can find them the usual way people find jobs. The private sector will seek them out ashenb they need to fill them.

I am not so sure prison for Americans is the panecea you are painting for parents. You are right that they may know where their kids are, but they have no say so. They can't call their kids except for collect. They don't get to see their kids except after a, usually long, bus ride on Sundays. The kids and adults are subject to searches. They have no privacy. They meet in large rooms supervised by guards. I am not sure how much contact, if any, they have with the kids when they are in foster care.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 4:12 pm
Squishy wrote:
97 % of the immigrants with catch and release don't come to hearings. Do you have any statistics that back up that they usually come to court with ankle monitors? Usually, is not good enough. They will come to court when they ars detained.

We don't have to establish a way for Americans to be in proximity to low wage jobs. We have to keep out the illegal competition for low wage jobs. Then the wages will rise. Americans will move. The law of supply and demand.

The welfare families are able to travel to where the benefits are the most generous. Taxpayers ars leaving the blue states in droves because od the higher tax burden. Homeless go to cities that are the most generous. The underclass will move when the jobs are worth it. They can find them the usual way people find jobs. The private sector will seek them out ashenb they need to fill them.

I am not so sure prison for Americans is the panecea you are painting for parents. You are right that they may know where their kids are, but they have no say so. They can't call their kids except for collect. They don't get to see their kids except after a, usually long, bus ride on Sundays. The kids and adults are subject to searches. They have no privacy. They meet in large rooms supervised by guards. I am not sure how much contact, if any, they have with the kids when they are in foster care.

According to the annual Justice Department yearbook of immigration statistics from fiscal year 2016, the most recent year for which data is available, 25% of immigration court cases were decided "in absentia" -- meaning the immigrant wasn't present in court. In that year, there were 137,875 cases. The number of cases decided "in absentia" between fiscal year 2012 and fiscal year 2016 was between 11% and 28%. from:https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/politics/fact-check-trump-family-separations-immigration/index.html

This statistic for absenteeism isn't 97% but the immigrants who want their ankle monitors removed probably have to show up somewhere. The few people that I knew who had them couldn't remove them even to bathe or shower.

Parents in jail cannot physically handle their children but they can email and as you said call collect. I think knowing where the kids are is half the battle in this saga. I have known a few situations where parents were in jail and although they didn't see their children often, they were allowed to send and receive letters. Apparently every effort is made for the relationship between the parent and child to survive the incarceration period (even if it is a life sentence):
https://www.dhs.state.or.us/ca.....6.pdf

As far as agricultural workers go, the majority are illegal or foreign born:

While farm workers run the gamut of being U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, seasonal laborers on special guest worker visas, or undocumented workers, most are affected by immigration status; it is estimated that at least 6 out of 10 of our country’s farm workers are undocumented (Southern Poverty Law Center). The vast majority of workers–78%, according to the most recent National Agricultural Workers Survey– is foreign-born and crossed a border to get here from:http://nfwm.org/education-center/farm-worker-issues/farm-workers-immigration/

And this about the lack of American desire to do farm work:

But the raises and new perks have not tempted native-born Americans to leave their day jobs for the fields. Nine in 10 agriculture workers in California are still foreign born, and more than half are undocumented, according to a federal survey. from:http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

So I don't know which news reports to believe, are Americans who need jobs heading for the sunny fields of California or are they stuck in pitiful, seedy, decaying urban and rural communities?

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 4:54 pm
southernbubby wrote:
According to the annual Justice Department yearbook of immigration statistics from fiscal year 2016, the most recent year for which data is available, 25% of immigration court cases were decided "in absentia" -- meaning the immigrant wasn't present in court. In that year, there were 137,875 cases. The number of cases decided "in absentia" between fiscal year 2012 and fiscal year 2016 was between 11% and 28%. from:https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/politics/fact-check-trump-family-separations-immigration/index.html

This statistic for absenteeism isn't 97% but the immigrants who want their ankle monitors removed probably have to show up somewhere. The few people that I knew who had them couldn't remove them even to bathe or shower.

Parents in jail cannot physically handle their children but they can email and as you said call collect. I think knowing where the kids are is half the battle in this saga. I have known a few situations where parents were in jail and although they didn't see their children often, they were allowed to send and receive letters. Apparently every effort is made for the relationship between the parent and child to survive the incarceration period (even if it is a life sentence):
https://www.dhs.state.or.us/ca.....6.pdf

As far as agricultural workers go, the majority are illegal or foreign born:

While farm workers run the gamut of being U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, seasonal laborers on special guest worker visas, or undocumented workers, most are affected by immigration status; it is estimated that at least 6 out of 10 of our country’s farm workers are undocumented (Southern Poverty Law Center). The vast majority of workers–78%, according to the most recent National Agricultural Workers Survey– is foreign-born and crossed a border to get here from:http://nfwm.org/education-center/farm-worker-issues/farm-workers-immigration/

And this about the lack of American desire to do farm work:

But the raises and new perks have not tempted native-born Americans to leave their day jobs for the fields. Nine in 10 agriculture workers in California are still foreign born, and more than half are undocumented, according to a federal survey. from:http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

So I don't know which news reports to believe, are Americans who need jobs heading for the sunny fields of California or are they stuck in pitiful, seedy, decaying urban and rural communities?

I never heard about inmates having access to the internet.

I think illegal immigrants should know where their children are. I don't think they should be released into this country.

"U.S. immigration enforcement and adjudication are failing. American immigration courts have the highest failure to appear rates of any courts in the country. Over the last 20 years, 37 percent of all aliens free pending trial failed to appear for their hearings. From the 2,498,375 foreign nationals outside detention during their court proceedings, 1,219,959 were ordered removed, 75 percent of them (918,098) for failing to appear. Only 25 percent of this group — some 301,861 people — actually litigated their claims."

https://cis.org/Report/Courting-Disaster

When the wages rise enough, people will fill the jobs. Where I live cleaning ladies get $12 an hour plus one way cab even if they get a ride. Where I used to live twenty years ago, cleaning ladies were getting $100 for a house. Mine took 3 hours. That's $33 an hour. You can bet they were Americans. I was paying less half that to office workers.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 5:45 pm
Squishy wrote:
I never heard about inmates having access to the internet.

I think illegal immigrants should know where their children are. I don't think they should be released into this country.

"U.S. immigration enforcement and adjudication are failing. American immigration courts have the highest failure to appear rates of any courts in the country. Over the last 20 years, 37 percent of all aliens free pending trial failed to appear for their hearings. From the 2,498,375 foreign nationals outside detention during their court proceedings, 1,219,959 were ordered removed, 75 percent of them (918,098) for failing to appear. Only 25 percent of this group — some 301,861 people — actually litigated their claims."

https://cis.org/Report/Courting-Disaster

When the wages rise enough, people will fill the jobs. Where I live cleaning ladies get $12 an hour plus one way cab even if they get a ride. Where I used to live twenty years ago, cleaning ladies were getting $100 for a house. Mine took 3 hours. That's $33 an hour. You can bet they were Americans. I was paying less half that to office workers.

Sholom Mordechai HaLevi had 15 minutes several times a week to use the internet to send emails. I know because I communicated with him.

Thousands of Federal Inmates Gain E-Mail Privileges. ... The system inmates use isn't like programs used in most offices and homes. Inmates aren't given Internet access, and all messages are sent in plain text, with no attachments allowed.Aug 17, 2008

There has been a rise in wages for farm workers as was stated in the article but they still don't attract many Americans and too big of a rise in wages would make the produce very expensive.

I read several articles after Shabbos that claimed that ankle monitors kept the illegal immigrants tied to the criminal justice system and the courts. When was your article written?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 5:49 pm
http://raycomgroup.worldnow.co.....obile

This article claims that ankle monitors make it very hard to jump bail.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics