Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Building A House -Expenses

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:10 pm
We are building a house from scratch as we thought we could afford it. Now the finishing expenses pulls us up the sky.
For those of you that built a house how much did you spend? Please share your expenses in seperate amounts like plumbing, electric, tiles, kitchen cabinets, painting and/or scraping and how big is the size of house. Thank you.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:13 pm
Construction always goes well over budget, so you're in good company. As to costs of the various parts, it varies so widely by location, house size, and the level at which you're building your home, that nobody else's numbers will be helpful for your situation. If you post where you are and what size house you're building and what estimates you've gotten for the different components, we could tell you if it sounds reasonable or not.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
We are building a house from scratch as we thought we could afford it. Now the finishing expenses pulls us up the sky.
For those of you that built a house how much did you spend? Please share your expenses in seperate amounts like plumbing, electric, tiles, kitchen cabinets, painting and/or scraping and how big is the size of house. Thank you.

Thanks a big ask. Why don't you go first?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:18 pm
I'm in NY and building a 4000 sf house if it makes a difference. I want to hear your numbers please

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:19 pm
The numbers vary tremendously by area and type of construction. Anyhow, why does it matter what someone else spent? You know your own budget.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in NY and building a 4000 sf house if it makes a difference. I want to hear your numbers please

I'll let other weigh in. Just a pet peeve of mine when people ask for such detailed information without sharing their own situation.

Hatzlacha. That sounds like a big project.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
The numbers vary tremendously by area and type of construction. Anyhow, why does it matter what someone else spent? You know your own budget.

Ok I'll explain. I know we can spend more or less but it won't reach lower than we thought. I was shocked to see prices of our bills and are thinking if we oversaw something or we need to go for even more less. We don't spend on extras and buy the minimum but we do want full tiled bathrooms and quarts counters but no wall papers or fancy trims. You get that? I'm not including any furnashings.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:30 pm
6k SF house in lakewood, building costs were 850k, without finishing a few things we were planning on doing, so doing them much cheaper temporarily, and leaving a lot of finishing touches undone, such as extra decorative mouldings, wallpapers, tiling certain extra areas... We have a long long list of upgrades we want to add over the next 20 years or so:)

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
6k SF house in lakewood, building costs were 850k, without finishing a few things we were planning on doing, so doing them much cheaper temporarily, and leaving a lot of finishing touches undone, such as extra decorative mouldings, wallpapers, tiling certain extra areas... We have a long long list of upgrades we want to add over the next 20 years or so:)

Thank you pewder amother

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 11:14 pm
NY 5500 square feet including the basement.
Over 1 million $ (not including land)

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 11:40 pm
NY 7800 sq ft. $325,000 land and existing house. $400,000 renovation. DH was GC.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:

Including land?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:00 am
I built in a development in Monsey area. 3000 square foot house. Cost me 560k when done including extras. Another 40k for basement.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:48 am
amother wrote:
Including land?

No
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics