Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Perfect job with house upgrades?

justforfun87

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 11:53 pm
We recently had some optional work done to our house. Truthfully it was just painting and some dry wall repair. My husband thinks I am overly critical and always look for imperfections and poor workmanship. The painting is not perfect, not even close. I am not sure though if I am being critical or is perfection expected with house renovations/repairs? I notice paint brush lines, some dried paint drips. I wonder now if I should have gone with the most expensive quote would I see some imperfections. I have never noticed this in other's peoples houses though I probably never looked. So ladies, do you expect perfection?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:17 am
justforfun87 wrote:
We recently had some optional work done to our house. Truthfully it was just painting and some dry wall repair. My husband thinks I am overly critical and always look for imperfections and poor workmanship. The painting is not perfect, not even close. I am not sure though if I am being critical or is perfection expected with house renovations/repairs? I notice paint brush lines, some dried paint drips. I wonder now if I should have gone with the most expensive quote would I see some imperfections. I have never noticed this in other's peoples houses though I probably never looked. So ladies, do you expect perfection?

No I don't expect perfection. But you said the painting isn't close to perfect. I would be unhappy with brush strokes.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:25 am
It's more about references and going to see the work done previously (taking into account if my walls are older and in worse shape than the walls of the other people before they upgraded) before deciding on which quote to go with.
It's so disappointing when you finally spend all the money and energy it takes to upgrade and then your left with such a feeling! I've had it with work on the house, with buying a new wig Sad Hug

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:28 am
justforfun87 wrote:

DH would have made the guys repaint or not given them their final payment

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 5:16 am
Blah. I still have not paid them but I don't have the courage to threaten to hold payment. I can't make them do the whole thing over again, can I? I guess I am realizing they weren't painters more construction guys so the art of painting may of been lost on them.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:45 am
So stupid. I usually paint myself. Earlier this year one of my kids begged to bring someone to do his room because not 100% perfect when I do it. eventually we had someone in for something else so I got him to do it.

My son has just admitted that I do a better job LOL

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:55 am
1. If your walls are not in good condition, then the painting won’t come out perfect.
2. Hand work will never come out perfect like machine work
3. If they need to paint over, it’s just one coat, don’t feel bad. Let them know what you expect.
If they use a roller you won’t see brush strokes.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 8:01 am
I definitely notice more in my own home than other homes, but a quality painter wouldn't leave such imperfections. Minor, barely perceptible imperfections, sure, but not such big ones.
But you admitted you didn't hire a quality painter, so this is what you can expect...
I bet most people visiting your home wouldn't notice it as much as you do.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:19 pm
OP, that's why I painted my previous apartment all by myself a number of years ago cause I didn't want a sloppy result paying a lot of money for it. It's a lot of work if you are doing it alone but it's not impossible. I made a major research on internet and asked people, I measured the rooms very carefully and did my mathematics. 80% is the preparation time before painting and 20% the painting itself. I went by the book in every step, covering everything extremely well. Result: Perfect. The preparation is the key to perfect results, just like peeling, cleaning and moisturizing is the key to a perfect flawless skin. And yes, I enjoyed it, even with the hard work.

One lesson I learned: Never ever do any paintwork before pesach! Once was enough.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:28 pm
You will see brush strokes around doors. Impossible not to.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 12:37 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Blah. I still have not paid them but I don't have the courage to threaten to hold payment. I can't make them do the whole thing over again, can I? I guess I am realizing they weren't painters more construction guys so the art of painting may of been lost on them.

Of course you can make them repaint the whole thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics