Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Minimum distance between gas stove and over the range hood

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:39 pm
How many inches should there be between the gas stove and over the range hood? Do I measure from the grates or from the stove top itself?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:46 pm
You need to check the local building code.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 8:04 pm
I am in the middle of doing my kitchen. When I was ready to order my hood the kitchen cabinet guy said to find out what the hood company says because if u hang the hood higher than their recommendation and ur cabinets discolor they will not stand behind the product because if it’s too high up the fan won’t go on and work properly.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 8:25 pm
The cabinet guy is right. Hoods do come with height guidelines. So, OP, what hood are are you purchasing?

iyar

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
You need to check the local building code.

There are actually two concerns here.
You need to check your building codes and the installation instructions that come with your range hood. You also need to speak to your LOR. The hot steam from whatever you're cooking, meat or dairy, rises and condenses on the range hood. If the bottom of the range hood is too close to the pots you might have problems. Since meat, dairy and the halachos involved in hot foods are not a subject I can speak authoritatively on, I'll end here. But it would be a good idea for you to speak to someone who knows more than I do. (Shouldn't be too hard to find Wink )

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 9:37 pm
The manufacturer of the hood I want to get says 18 inches, we have about 16 and a half inches to the grates and another inch to the stove top itself. The one we have now is not functional- it was put in by the previous owners more for beauty than function. We can't vent to the outside, so it'll be a ductless one, but if 16 and a half inches isn't enough, maybe I'll just use it as a beauty thing more than a functional piece.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 11:11 pm
Why don't you simply put a shorter cabinet above the hood so it will be farther from the top of the range? 3" shorter will be enough.
Edited: I confused the OP with the one redoing her kitchen.

OP, is it possible to replace the cabinet above the range with a shorter one? Or get a different range hood?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 11:22 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Why don't you simply put a shorter cabinet above the hood so it will be farther from the top of the range? 3" shorter will be enough.
Edited: I confused the OP with the one redoing her kitchen.

OP, is it possible to replace the cabinet above the range with a shorter one? Or get a different range hood?

thanks for the suggestion. I don't want to cut the cabinet above, to much work now.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 11:43 pm
I would say to call the hood company for clarification. I would think that when they said 18 it might mean that it can’t be more than 18 because if it’s too high it won’t vent properly and won’t turn on the exhaust fan if needed. So could be 16 is good. Although 16 sounds like u can’t use very big pots. Maybe that is too close. Hood company should be able to tell you a range between a and b and u will need urs to b somewhere withing their suggested range so u qualify for their warranty
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen