Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are disposable pans a "Jewish" thing?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:28 pm
Why? This is a random question I have been wondering about. I can't imagine my life without disposable aluminum pans. I use them for most things I stick in the oven. But for some reason, I find they are only available (at least in bulk, and cheaply) in Jewish stores. Target, Costco, etc. usually just have (very expensive) packs of a few 9x13 pans. Why is this convenience a Jewish thing? We have larger families? We cook more frequently? They're more environmentally conscious? I'd love to hear other opinions.

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:31 pm
Plastic goods too. Plates bowls cups cutlery. In big box non Jewish stores the stuff is way more expensive

ima_anon

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:32 pm
Jews cook more. Bigger families. If you have a small kitchen, you may not have room for milchig dishes and just use disposables for those.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:34 pm
We definitely cook more and have larger families. There isn't enough time to constantly wash and reuse. We need to bake four kugels at once etc.
Our one Shabbos has as much food as a Thanksgiving meal served once a year.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:
Why? This is a random question I have been wondering about. I can't imagine my life without disposable aluminum pans. I use them for most things I stick in the oven. But for some reason, I find they are only available (at least in bulk, and cheaply) in Jewish stores. Target, Costco, etc. usually just have (very expensive) packs of a few 9x13 pans. Why is this convenience a Jewish thing? We have larger families? We cook more frequently? They're more environmentally conscious? I'd love to hear other opinions.

I buy mine at costco - large pack.

I also feel lazy and guilty when I use them. I have enough space to purchase and keep 4 9x13 pans that aren't disposable. I also have containers to store cooked food.

My mother would be horrified with my usage of these things.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:37 pm
I think that there is less environmental awareness in the frum world (not absence, just less). Bal taschit gets forgotten.

That being said, I buy disposables in bulk at pesach, really the only time I stock up, to use when I'm sending meals (after a friend delivers, or when a friend is sick c'v's.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:47 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I think that there is less environmental awareness in the frum world (not absence, just less). Bal taschit gets forgotten.

That being said, I buy disposables in bulk at pesach, really the only time I stock up, to use when I'm sending meals (after a friend delivers, or when a friend is sick c'v's.

I think frum people are aware, they just have more important things to worry about. I can either save the environment, or save my sanity, right now my sanity comes first.

Most frum people I know have large families, hardly ever eat out and have two working parents. That's a lot of meals to cook and a lot of dishes to wash, along with homework and bath time and bed time and laundry and cleaning....... So we have to prioritize and the environment comes very far behind all the other important things we have to deal with.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:50 pm
amother wrote:
I buy mine at costco - large pack.

I also feel lazy and guilty when I use them. I have enough space to purchase and keep 4 9x13 pans that aren't disposable. I also have containers to store cooked food.

My mother would be horrified with my usage of these things.

I honestly don't feel guilty for a second Smile Maybe it's not the best for the environment (or my pocket), but I am a big user of disposables. It's just very important for my sanity. I already have more than enough to do.

keym

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:54 pm
Add kashrus.
I have a fleishig dishwasher so I almost always use fleishig "real stuff".
But milchig baking (like ziti and stuff) and parve I will use disposables.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:56 pm
They're definitely available at other stores. They're just more popular in our community. This might be our version of "calling in a dinner order" and while we're less likely to order out dinner every night, we still need convenience. It seems the Jewish manufacturers sell the disposables for cheaper too, maybe because they sell more quantity. Heimish brand plastic plates and cups are cheaper for me to buy then the Costco brands too.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:57 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:

I am very aware. Trust me. But like others said, convenience plays a big role here. On a yom tov I warm up everything in the oven. I don’t have a gas on. How else would I warm up food for six meals and having guest for almost each meal? I would be living at the stove otherwise.

9x13 pans can be found at Costco etc but all sizes are probably a jewish thing.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
I honestly don't feel guilty for a second Smile Maybe it's not the best for the environment (or my pocket), but I am a big user of disposables. It's just very important for my sanity. I already have more than enough to do.

Yes - this basically outlines the sentiments of most frum women who use these things - and every one does it so its 'okay'. We just don't have the time or desire to do dishes (or both).

(foodies will say food cooks better in thicker vessels. Yes the garbage is an issue - so is the money).

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:06 pm
Disposable plastic plates and bowls are unavailable where I summer. It is totally a Jewish thing.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
Disposable plastic plates and bowls are unavailable where I summer. It is totally a Jewish thing.

Really? That's so interesting. I see disposable paper goods at Target, Walmart, large supermarket chains, etc. But aluminum pans are nowhere to be found.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
Really? That's so interesting. I see disposable paper goods at Target, Walmart, large supermarket chains, etc. But aluminum pans are nowhere to be found.

They have paper soup bowls and paper plates. I can't get plastic plates. The paper is disgusting when you are used to plastic.

I can get aluminum disposals, but they are expensive compared to what I pay. I buy in bulk from a restaurant supply company, so I have no idea of the individual cost is here.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:

Where do you summer? What kind of waste removal services are available?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:51 pm
Convenience trumps environmental concerns. Besides, if they can do Chemtrails and Roundup without regard for my health, I'll do my plastic convenience.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
Where do you summer? What kind of waste removal services are available?

We have regular garbage pick up. We summer in Massachusetts.

Optione

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 8:05 pm
I don't have space for 2 sets of pans plus parve. That being the case, I use aluminum to supplement.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 9:28 pm
I grew up non-religious. I never, ever recall using plastic or paper goods other than at parties or picnics. Aluminum pans were completely unheard of.

Somehow, the sinks were always miraculously empty, though I did have to rinse my cup out after use, and was only allowed one a day to minimize the dishes (that I never saw accumulate; guess that's easy when you only have two kids who only eat supper at home).

When I moved to Brooklyn I worked in a group home and grocery shopping was a huge mystery to me. I had to learn what these conveniences were. I also had to get used to the fact that groceries were delivered! Who ever heard of THAT?! Most we ever had was a store worker bring the groceries to the curb...
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics