Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are disposable pans a "Jewish" thing?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:15 am
dee's mommy wrote:

Ladies, if I may be blunt, our ancestors had big families, no dishwashers, and no disposables. Their dishes and pots and pans were made to last, not to throw away. If they could do it, so can we. Let us not sacrifice our children's future and and embrace our reusable cooking gear.

They also had outhouses, no bathrooms. Not to mention the general life expectancy in the olden days shock .

Some things have changed, and this is one of them. Those who say that this is bal tashchis should look up the meaning of the word. It is NOT bal tashchis to value your health and sanity over using throw aways. We have to respect things and not throw things away for no reason, but using disposables so I can get a better night's sleep does not fit into that category.

soap suds

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
First time I'm hearing that people toivel foil pans. Is this really a thing?

I used to toivel foil pans until they came out with teh "ein tzarich tevilla" ones with badatz hechser. I reuse them a couple of times - I line them with baking paper, so they don't get too dirty. Every so often, when they get yucky, I replace them.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 3:29 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
They also had outhouses, no bathrooms. Not to mention the general life expectancy in the olden days shock .

Some things have changed, and this is one of them. Those who say that this is bal tashchis should look up the meaning of the word. It is NOT bal tashchis to value your health and sanity over using throw aways. We have to respect things and not throw things away for no reason, but using disposables so I can get a better night's sleep does not fit into that category.

There are good changes, and changes that aren't good. We have technology to do the job for us, and some are fortunate enough to be able to hire help, or have a teenager volunteer to help in your home, or children old enough to help. And sadly, we have one use items, some of which may be biodegradable (good) or recyclable (okay), but a lot that isn't either of those things. (This may depend on where you live, and what local services exist.)

I am not saying that we should go back to having no conveniences. I am pointing out that regular use of disposable items has a very serious consequence that will be felt by our children and grandchildren. It is being felt now.

While there is a time and a place for disposables on occasion, I'm challenging us to look for other ways to "preserve our sanity." I assume many here have dishwashers. (I happen not to, not by choice.) Dishwashers do the job for you. (Not to mention washing machines that do the laundry for us, and even robots that sweep the floor!) Also, for the sake of sanity, if you have no dishwasher there is nothing wrong with filling dishpan or sink with soapy water and leaving the dishes to soak overnight when we are tired at the end of the day. Or, if we have children old enough to help, then we can put them to work.

For those who can, hiring cleaning help, and babysitting is a good way to lighten our load.

On a separate note, someone earlier in this thread described me as being "flippant," in making these statements. (I am pretty sure this was not you.) I assure you, although a significant number of ladies here may hate what I am saying, I do put a lot of thought into my posts. I try to make them as positive, informative and as helpful as possible. The same person also said that I was calling women who used disposables "lazy," and this is not the case at all. I never used that word, and it was never something I implied. I know we all work hard, and I know that sometimes something has to give. I recognize that the use of disposables is a result of how hardworking we are. Again, I want to challenge us to look at this differently, and to look for other ways to make our busy lives easier.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:17 am
Saw this article today and immediately thought of this thread: https://m.calcalistech.com/Art.....41791

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 5:41 am
amother wrote:
Incidentally, we recycle many of our foil pans.

This. I buy disposables that can be recycled, when I buy them at all. I don't love using plastic and avoid it.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics