Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Delicious buttercream

Debbig

Post Wed, Jun 27 2018, 8:33 pm
I’m making a fondant covered cake for DD’s birthday. I’ve only used Wilton’s recipe for buttercream (crisco & powdered sugar) to frost the cake before putting the fondant over it. But I really don’t like how that cream tastes. Does anyone have a non dairy delicious buttercream recipe that will hold the fondant?
Thanks

Debbig

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 8:47 am
Anyone?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 10:04 am
In my experience, what you are looking for does not exist. Sorry Sad

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 10:10 am
I'm sorry you might be out of luck. The keys to a delicious buttercream frosting are, well, butter and cream. Could you do a dairy meal instead?

Debbig

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 10:15 am
I want to do a meat meal because it’s during the nine days & my DH is also making a siyum so we want to do a BBQ.
I guess I’ll just use the buttercream for the outside of the cake & fill the layers with something that tastes good.
Thanks.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 10:18 am
Debbig wrote:
I want to do a meat meal because it’s during the nine days & my DH is also making a siyum so we want to do a BBQ.
I guess I’ll just use the buttercream for the outside of the cake & fill the layers with something that tastes good.
Thanks.

Yeah, if you're committed to meat then I'd choose a frosting that's not so inherently based around dairy. Maybe flavor with chocolate, fruit or almond?

climbing613

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 10:20 am
That's what I would say. Make a tofutti cream cheese filling or chocolate fudge filling, parve caramel etc. Can do a nice drizzle on the plate for flavor there.

PractclyPerfect

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 11:24 am
I've actually made a 'buttercream' once with coconut oil as the base. It was delicious if you like coconut.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 12:15 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Yeah, if you're committed to meat then I'd choose a frosting that's not so inherently based around dairy. Maybe flavor with chocolate, fruit or almond?

Chocolate (or other flavors to some extent) is a great fix for the blandness of margarine or the chemical taste of nondairy whip.

Debbig

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 12:48 pm
deg wrote:
I've actually made a 'buttercream' once with coconut oil as the base. It was delicious if you like coconut.

Was it the same constancy as buttercream? Because I need it to hold the fondant on the cake.

Debbig

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 12:49 pm
challahchallah wrote:

I like the idea of chocolate but will show through the fondant?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 1:33 pm
maybe do a ganache; that will certainly be able to hold up under the fondant

if your fondant is thick enough, it should cover chocolate ganache underneath

Debbig

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 1:51 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
maybe do a ganache; that will certainly be able to hold up under the fondant

if your fondant is thick enough, it should cover chocolate ganache underneath

Do you mean a whipped ganache?
Do you have a non dairy recipe?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 1:56 pm
Debbig wrote:
Do you mean a whipped ganache?
Do you have a non dairy recipe?

Ganache is typically equal parts cream and chocolate. For non dairy, you can use coconut cream (or skim the cream off a can of full fat coconut milk). You can probably use rich's whip instead, but that does have added sugar and other things. Just put your chocolate in a bowl, bring the cream to *almost* a boil, and then pour over the chocolate. Let it sit for 3 minutes, to melt the chocolate, and then whisk until smooth. It will thicken as it cools.

You don't have to whip it, but you can if you feel like it helps the spreading consistency. Before putting the fondant on, you'll want to keep the cake in the fridge so the ganache gets nice and firm

Hope that helps!

Debbig

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 2:15 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Ganache is typically equal parts cream and chocolate. For non dairy, you can use coconut cream (or skim the cream off a can of full fat coconut milk). You can probably use rich's whip instead, but that does have added sugar and other things. Just put your chocolate in a bowl, bring the cream to *almost* a boil, and then pour over the chocolate. Let it sit for 3 minutes, to melt the chocolate, and then whisk until smooth. It will thicken as it cools.

You don't have to whip it, but you can if you feel like it helps the spreading consistency. Before putting the fondant on, you'll want to keep the cake in the fridge so the ganache gets nice and firm

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much. I think I’m going to try this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins