Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you get a mitzva for fasting till chatzos
1  2  Next

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:36 am
My husband said I don’t have to fast as it’s a nidche and I have to be a good mom to the kids. But if I can go half a day is there any point? Do I get any schar? Or once you break it, it’s like I didn’t do anything at all?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:49 am
I'm really not a proponent of the star-on-the-chart variety of Judaism. I don't think Hashem works that way.

That said, I have learned that fasting half a day, if you can't do the whole fast, is laudable. You are thinking about the meaning of the fast, and you are participating with the rest of Am Yisrael in mourning the tragedies that befell us on 17 Tammuz. That makes Am Yisrael stronger, and it makes you a better person, if you can do it.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:50 am
I would assume you get the mitzva. Why not ?
I am doing the same

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:51 am
That’s how I always felt but if there’s really zero point, why am I depriving myself of coffee and energy?

iyar

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:56 am
cookiewriter wrote:
That’s how I always felt but if there’s really zero point, why am I depriving myself of coffee and energy?

If you need your coffee and energy to take care of your kids or for your own wellbeing then go ahead and have them. If you're able to join in mourning the sad things that happened on this day without compromising your health or your children's care then fasting until chatzos is not a bad idea.

heidi

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:12 pm
I've been debating this all afternoon. I went to work while my kids were in camp. Came home and have been in bed all day with a pounding headache. Been retching on and off. But my kids are older and would have been watching soccer either way. And I really feel we have no understanding in our days what the loss of the beit hamikdash really means. Isn't this the least I can do?

Aylat

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:12 pm
Rubo k'kulo, the majority is considered like the whole. Yes, there is a point in fasting til chatzot.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:27 pm
To me fasting till chatzos means I'm trying. If I can pull through till then, great, and I try to go further. If I can't, I eat/drink but at least I know I tried. Machshava tova... But if I start off my day by rationalizing that I need to eat/drink because I have little kids, that seems like a cop-out. Disclaimer: I didn't discuss this with my rav, though I should.

etky

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:29 pm
[quote="heidi"]I've been debating this all afternoon. I went to work while my kids were in camp. Came home and have been in bed all day with a pounding headache. Been retching on and off. But my kids are older and would have been watching soccer either way. And I really feel we have no understanding in our days what the loss of the beit hamikdash really means. Isn't this the least I can do?[/quoe

I always thought that there is room for leniency if someone doesn't feel well on the minor fasts, especially if it is nidche, like this year. You sound pretty ill Sad
I'm still fasting but had planned to break my fast at hatztot, if I felt a migraine in the offing. B'h I'm fine though except for a normal 'fasting headache'.

heidi

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:32 pm
B"H got a second wind about half an hour ago. Just in time to give the little one supper. Halachically I know it's fine and probably even recommended to break the fast. But I personally feel that it's the only way to feel the loss. .

heidi

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:33 pm
Only 40 more minutes Wink

etky

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:35 pm
heidi wrote:
Only 40 more minutes Wink

Believe me, I'm counting 'em ...

Aylat

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 1:05 pm
heidi wrote:
B"H got a second wind about half an hour ago. Just in time to give the little one supper. Halachically I know it's fine and probably even recommended to break the fast. But I personally feel that it's the only way to feel the loss. .

Thanks, Heidi, you inspire me.

jeweled

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 2:34 pm
Is fasting a mitzvah?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 4:33 pm
jeweled wrote:
Is fasting a mitzvah?

Of Rabbinic, not Biblical, origin, therefore there is room for greater leniency. But inasmuch as mourning is the main point here, if the choice is either: fast and spend your time thinking frivolous thoughts or being so miserable all you think about is how hungry you feel and counting the hours till you can eat, OR break your fast early and spend your day thinking, reading and learning about the destruction of the Temple and doing teshuvah, better you shouldn't fast.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 4:51 pm
I've always heard fasting is an atonement. And atones. Wouldn't know to equate fasting well versus not fasting and learning about the churban.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 4:52 pm
aylor

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 5:37 pm
It's a question for a rov. In Lubavitch, if you can't fast, you don't. No Chatzos business involved.

salt

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:59 am
Well, look, on 9 Av, for example, there are definitely leniencies in the mourning customs after chatzos.
So it seems like there, there is something to it.
Depends if it carries across to other fasts.
Sounds like a halachic question - either you're patur or you're not. Either you have to fast till chatzot or you're patur.
Not, you don't have to but you get half-a-mitzva kind of thing if you do.

What I do know is that there is no inyan in eating in "shiurim" on any fast other than Y.K. Because eating less than a shiur on Y.K - makes you 'over' on a rabanan, so that's more ok.
However the other fasts are derabanana anyway, so makes no diff.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 11:23 am
Every effort not jeopardizing your health, imo
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions