Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Opening a basement store

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:14 pm
We are moving an hour away and it really makes no sense for me to keep my current job. I would need to bring in net 35k to make ends meet. I have this idea of opening a discount children’s clothing store in my basement. There is definitely a need in the area. I found a supplier who I would not have to buy the clothing but I’d be paid a commission so the upfront costs are not so much. This is a Jewish area but there are also Jewish shopping centers. Will people come out to my store? I don’t plan on having any employees. I’d open the store say 4 hrs a day and one evening a week and appointments off hours are fine too. Does anyone have a basement store? Any thoughts or advice. Is 35k completely not realistic?

benny

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:27 pm
That really depends on how sought after the product is and how large the community. Keep in mind also you will need to spend a lot on advertising if you are a basement store.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
We are moving an hour away and it really makes no sense for me to keep my current job. I would need to bring in net 35k to make ends meet. I have this idea of opening a discount children’s clothing store in my basement. There is definitely a need in the area. I found a supplier who I would not have to buy the clothing but I’d be paid a commission so the upfront costs are not so much. This is a Jewish area but there are also Jewish shopping centers. Will people come out to my store? I don’t plan on having any employees. I’d open the store say 4 hrs a day and one evening a week and appointments off hours are fine too. Does anyone have a basement store? Any thoughts or advice. Is 35k completely not realistic?

I'll take your word there is a need. (I'll also ignore taxes for the moment - I'm sure some accountant out there would figure out a way to take 35K of 'rental' expenses off of your 35K of commissions).

so lets say 30% commission on items you sell for $30? That's $9 per piece. That's around 3,888 things to be sold.

use that as a starting point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics