Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help me plan an unforgettable trip to Israel
1  2  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:47 pm
The title says it all. I’m iyh traveling with my family to Israel in a few months and I have very vague ideas of where to start. I haven’t been there in many years. All ideas and tips are appreciated.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:52 pm
I will be following closely! I'm in a similar situation...

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
The title says it all. I’m iyh traveling with my family to Israel in a few months and I have very vague ideas of where to start. I haven’t been there in many years. All ideas and tips are appreciated.

How do you plan on moving from place to place?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
How do you plan on moving from place to place?

Probably taxis. Maybe a bus If we go far? Not sure. Would love advice with that as well.

jerusalem90

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:06 am
Biblical zoo in Jerusalem

Park HaYarkon in Tel Aviv

This is assuming that the weather would not be so hot that you'd be miserable.

What month will you be traveling, what are your children's ages, and are you looking for cheaper things like public parks or do you have money for expensive tours etc?

jerusalem90

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:07 am
Also, what is your hashkafa about beaches and water parks?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:14 am
jerusalem90 wrote:
Biblical zoo in Jerusalem

Park HaYarkon in Tel Aviv

This is assuming that the weather would not be so hot that you'd be miserable.

What month will you be traveling, what are your children's ages, and are you looking for cheaper things like public parks or do you have money for expensive tours etc?

Going in the winter. I’d like a combination of cheaper and some more expensive.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:17 am
jerusalem90 wrote:
Also, what is your hashkafa about beaches and water parks?

I’d do waterfront activities but not necessarily sit at the beach (because of my son - my husband doesn’t particularly care) unless I could find a somewhat private area which is doubtful I’m sure.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:23 am
amother wrote:
Probably taxis. Maybe a bus If we go far? Not sure. Would love advice with that as well.

The best way to get around is to rent a car if you are doing a lot of travel (not if you are are going around Jerusalem, or Jerusalem to Bnei Brak and back).

I was trying to understand if you were looking for a 'best of Israel' type trip - or something focused in a couple cities.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:36 am
amother wrote:
The best way to get around is to rent a car if you are doing a lot of travel (not if you are are going around Jerusalem, or Jerusalem to Bnei Brak and back).

I was trying to understand if you were looking for a 'best of Israel' type trip - or something focused in a couple cities.

I think I’d like to keep it to a couple of places - yerushalayim and maybe a few nights somewhere else. Is it hard to drive in Israel if you’re not used to it?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:46 am
amother wrote:
I think I’d like to keep it to a couple of places - yerushalayim and maybe a few nights somewhere else. Is it hard to drive in Israel if you’re not used to it?

I don't think so, especially if you are accustomed to highway driving.

So you are looking for Best of Yerushalayim and one other place. I would stay in Tveria and from there take a day trip to Tzfat. Of some combination of that.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 1:06 am
some people spend money and hire someone in Israel to plan and schedule the entire itinerary including entrances, guides etc.

Personally I did it myself and we had a blast.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 2:37 am
http://bessintours.com/

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 2:54 am
If you will be based in Jerusalem, take busses or walk within the city and make sure your accommodations are central.
Rent a car for leaving the city.
What types of places do you like?
Kvarim
Historical
Touristy
Hikes
Attractions
Religious

Teomima

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:48 am
It really depends on the age of your child/children. If you tell us that, it's easier to give you more detailed advice.

In Jerusalem I highly recommend the City of David. The history is fascinating for adults, and the various tunnel tours are fun for children. It's also be worthwhile to take a day trip to the Dead Sea area. There's the beaches, spas, and Masada, of course, but there's also fun hiking trails (depending on when exactly you come though, many hikes aren't safe to do during flooding season, as we were all sadly reminded of this past year).

As for another city, you could go either north, towards Haifa if you want something more urban (there's a wonderful child-friendly science museum there, and the Bahai Gardens are stunning, and day trips to Zichron Yaakov, Cesarea, Akko, or Rosh Hanikra are definitely doable), or towards the Kinneret/Golan for kayaking in the Jordan river, Ein Hemed, or a variety of fun, memorable hikes such as Nachal Zavitan, Gamla, etc. Alternatively, you could head south. The view of, and hiking in, Machtesh Rimon are unforgettable, plus Mitzpe Rimon has other fun family-friendly activities such as an alpaca farm.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:29 am
Kids are 8-13

Wed prob like a little of all the things listed (history, attractions etc)

To the poster who wrote about hiring someone to plan an itinerary - do you have anyone to recommend?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:46 am
My kids were 4- teens.

We used the bus to travel locally in Jerusalem. We took a bus to kever rochel, Chevron and even to Mesada and Yam Hamelech. You need to leave really early for the bus to Mesada/yam hamelech. We should have maybe rented a car for that trip.

We rented a car for a few days and went up north. We went to Rosh Hanikra, Meron and stayed in Tzfas for shabbos. On way from Tfas to Meron we made stops at random kevorim. My kids were excited to see names they recognize. We went rafting (kyaking) down the Jordon river on the way back to Jerusalem.

There is alot to do in Jerusalem. We mostly stayed there for.
Eir Dovid/water tunnel
Kosel tunnel
Biblical zoo - we did this on an off day, nothing else planned. Kids loved the bird house.
Shuk
Train ride to kosel
Old City by day and walking along the walls at night

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:52 am
What hotels do you recommend in Jerusalem, nice and centrally located.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:14 am
Two Jerusalem suggestions:
My inlaws stay at the Prima Kings and really like it because it is close to everything.

Second, please make time to help out at Ohr Meir U Bracha on a Thursday morning!

http://www.terror-victims.org.il

If link doesn't work, please copy and paste!

Thank you, A long time volunteer.

ggdm

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 7:43 am
How long do you have? This is a proposal for 3 stops with multiple days at each location with day trips from there.

Jerusalem: Old city, kotel tunnels, Israel museum (not sure about kids), mahane jehuda, spend shabat in the atmosphere, (long) day trip to Dead sea and Masada.

Haifa: Bahai gardens (view is great), science museum (great for kids and adults), hiking in the area, day trip to Akko, day trip to Rosh Hanikra caves.

Tverya: swimming in Kineret (separate beach), hiking/bike tours in the area, day trip to Tel Dan in the Golan, day trip to Tzfat.
[I personally don't like Tverya, but it is good connected and a good base for going to other places in the north]

I have done all of this with public transport. But you need to make good plans (e.g. there are few busses to Rosh Hanikra). And be prepared for waiting, overcrowding and annoying people. I have never traveled with children though. I think if you generally travel a lot by public transport you will be fine in Israel. Otherwise rent a car. Israeli drivers are rude, but it's ok. They still obey most rules. Road signs are usually easy. Just Don't drive in Jerusalem, it's a nightmare.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics