Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving in a month

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:40 am
I am looking for tips. I am moving in a month. My big kids are in day camp and my 3 year old DD is home. DD gets upset when she sees the toys packed and then she needs to play with that toy and she unpacks it. I make sure thst she does not see me packing the toys but she peeks into the boxes. What should I start packing? How do I pack dishes and all fragile things.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:18 am
I just moved for the first time. BH all went smoothly, we’re now knee deep in boxes in our new home!

First of all book a mover- if you didnt yet- whose prices are reasonable but at the same time is known to take good care of your stuff.

The next thing I did was take inventory of stuff I had. Whatever kitchen gadget or article of clothing ect that had not been touched all year was thrown out or given away. All my infant toys, bassinet, clothes, rocker, bath, mobile ect were put into storage.

Next was time to get boxes. For China and other delicate items I got the small moving boxes from Lowe’s. Sefarim were regular grocery boxes I saved and the rest was put in big containers I got from a local gemach.

I don’t know how much stuff you have but started packing 2 weeks before I moved. I started with the least used articles (off season clothes, games, supplies...) and left the essentials for my kitchen last. I packed some toys but I did leave some toys for DS and packed them the last minute. I officially closed my kitchen three days before we moved. We ate lunch by my mom and dinner was takeout. I began to move the kitchen basics (pots pans and dishes) to my new apartment. A wonderful woman in Lakewood came to pack my glass and china. You can look her up in the phone book under moving gemach. Book her early- she fills up.

Shabbos we went away to my mom. I packed a suitcase with clothing, diapers, towel, toiletries for my baby who stayed there Sunday - moving day.

BH the move went well yesterday. The first thing I unpacked was the rest of my kitchen and bathroom. Then I made a really easy dinner for DH to break his fast later. (Poor guy faster with the move and crazy weather....)

I’m trying now to get a cleaning lady to help me unpack the rest of the balagan.... I did hire a professional organizer to come after everything is unpacked to give me ideas and tips for just an hour. If you have the budget for it- especially if your moving to a home you would stay for a while- you can hire one to help setup and organize your entire home.

Then I’ll have a handy man fix a broken closet and hang up my pictures at the end of this week.

Hatzlocha! I hope this helps!!

Israeli

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:20 am
Start with packing all the things you dont need now- winter clothing, extra linens, towels... have those boxes completely done and sealed before you move on to the living out of boxes stage.
For dishes, I bought a box of foam sheets from staples made the packing go much quicker. I stuck one foam sheet in between every dish and then every few dishes I wrapped in brown paper and bubble wrap.
Once a box is done, clearly list everything that is inside and then seal it. DD should not be able to get in to your boxes or you will never finish.
Hatzlacha moving is stressful but if you start now you have more than enough time to do itproperly! !

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 11:22 am
We moved recently. The things I started packing first were China and dishes, the other seasons (winter) cloths, photo albums, decorative things, coats, etc. anything you won’t be using now. We packed dishes and just used plastic. At some point toward the end I packed my tops and skirts and just wore dresses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating