Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do I throw it away?
1  2  Next

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 9:51 am
I left a pot of chicken soup overnight on the stove. I closed the flame 10:15 pm and put it in the fridge 6:45 am? WWYD?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:03 am
It takes boiling hot chicken soup quite a while to cool down. I would probably keep it.

simba

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:46 am
What temp was it when you put it in the fridge? Was your kitchen warm or air conditioned over night?

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:54 am
Throw it away. 8 hours is way too long.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:58 am
I think I’d use it.
I’d definitely taste a little bit (when you are fleishig anyway!) and see if it’s fine.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 11:18 am
It depends on the temp of the kitchen. Was the a/c on at night or was the kitchen a comfortable temperature?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 11:19 am
simba wrote:
What temp was it when you put it in the fridge? Was your kitchen warm or air conditioned over night?

It was warm but definitely not hot. The kitchen was air conditioned overnight.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 11:32 am
We eat soup just like that all the time:)

baltomom

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 11:34 am
How big was the pot? A really large pot of chicken soup takes a long time to cool....

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:16 pm
baltomom wrote:
How big was the pot? A really large pot of chicken soup takes a long time to cool....

8qt. Pot. The soup was lukewarm when I put it away in the morning.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:18 pm
I would toss

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:19 pm
I once made a 16 quart pot of soup, shut the flame at 11pm and forgot about it till 7am! Surprisingly it was still lukewarm at that time. I threw out the chicken- was afraid it might not be good but the soup was perfect. Many people who heard that I threw out the chicken told me it was probably fine to eat.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:21 pm
I've done this numerous times because I just get so tired in the evening. I'd eat it myself, and I'd give it to my family, but not to any elderly relatives and not to anyone with digestive problems. I also would have in mind an "expiration date" that is much earlier than normal; I'd keep it no longer than 4 days.

I just did this Friday night. (The soup was done before Shabbat started, and then after Friday night dinner, I thought, I'll just lie down for an hour until the soup cools down a bit and is easier to deal with, and the next thing I knew it was 4 AM.) I'm going to have the soup tonight and tomorrow, but will throw the whole batch out afterwards. I'll cook my next batch in the morning so this doesn't happen again.

(ETA: Like you, amother tan, it was an 8 quart pot, the kitchen was air conditioned, and the soup was lukewarm when I put it away at 4 AM.)

Last edited by JoyInTheMorning on Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

simba

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:21 pm
When you re-heat it to serve smell it and try a spoon. If it tastes fine I would serve it.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 12:23 pm
I actually leave it overnight on purpose as I think the flavors mix better together if left overnight. As long as it's still warm, I don't think it's a problem at all.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 2:10 pm
id reboil it taste it and if it tastes normal I would definitely keep it!

Lotti

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:30 pm
That's what I do all the time, I shut the flame at around 10/11pm and then in the morning when I wake up, I put it in the fridge. Totally fine!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
It was warm but definitely not hot. The kitchen was air conditioned overnight.

Keep it.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:28 pm
I know ppl think its terrible but I do this every time I make chicken soup on a Thurs night and ba"h no one ever got sick. I never understand what the alternative is, put it away boiling hot? It takes boiling chicken soup HOURS to reach room temperature, the bigger the pot, the longer it takes.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:38 pm
for those of you who don't do this do you put the soup away hot? I always find this cool off but don't leave out for long thing very stressful. I'll try filling up the sink with water etc... but still...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen