Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Seattle WA

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 7:40 pm
What can you tell me about the community? been reading mixed reviews from older posts..

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:07 pm
scenic, beautiful area. Majority of the community is modern orthodox. There is the super modern, feminist, zionist crowd. There is the baal teshuva loves chassidim crowd, there is a small kollel/kiruv rabbi crowd.there is a chabad community.
The two main day schools are modern orthodox, one much more than the other. The high school is modern orthodox and there is a tiny bais yaakov.
Two sephardi shuls, one askanaz, one breakaway from the main ashkanaz, and a baal teshuva chassidish shul, a chabad shul--different neighborhood than the main one.
It is super duper out of town

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:07 pm
What exactly do you want to know? Or can you tell us about yourself and what you're looking for in a community so we can give you better advice about whether it's a good fit for you?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:04 pm
And the surrounding state is "progressive"/liberal left. And they just banned plastic.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:31 pm
Washington state is absolutely gorgeous. Weather awesome (if you like cool and misty), people trusting and crime low. The community is warm and giving.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 3:06 am
My information is somewhat old, but I did grow up there. I’m happy to answer what I know, or forward you on.

To correct some of the above.
I wouldn’t call it a mostly modern community. More of a lot of modern, a lot of BT's who went most of the way then stalled, OOT Yeshivish and kollel.
There are two sefardi shuls that each have their kehilla. The Ashkenazi shul has had breakoff in the last few years. (Described above). All in the same neighborhood.
There is a modern school, chabad school, and a frummer school that is run by Yeshivish people but backed by a modern family.
The beis Yaakov I would consider large for the community. The modern highschool is co-ed and very college prep. Much of the student body did not go to the above mentioned schools.

The advantage of being so far from other frum communities is that the guest speakers stay for shabbos.
Vancouver is 2.5hrs north, Portland is 3+hrs south.

Chabad is in the north end. Half hour or so drive.
There is a small community on Mercer Island too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating