Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Vort gift for new sister in law

DVOM

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:31 am
Good morning ladies!

My brother is engaged and his engagment party (vort) is tonight. Are my sisters and I supposed to get the new couple a gift? I have been to some engagment parties where there are piles of lovely houseware type gifts, and some where there are none. I think I got a few at my vort, but I don't really remember.

If we are supposed to get a gift, any ideas what to buy and how much new sisters in law would typically spend?

bsy

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:33 am
Usually the kallah ends up returning most of the gifts for store credit. I think they have nice things in the 80 to 100 dollar range. If it's just you buying something, you can get something smaller.

DVOM

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:35 am
bsy wrote:
Usually the kallah ends up returning most of the gifts for store credit. I think they have nice things in the 80 to 100 dollar range. If it's just you buying something, you can get something smaller.

Thanks for the reply!

Price range is helpful! My sisters would chip in with me, so this amount is doable. Any ideas what to buy?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:38 am
In our family, we chip in together for a vort gift. For a while we were doing Challah covers. More lately we have asked the Kallah where she would like a gift, knowing whatever it is can be exchanged for what she wants from that place. Often the Kallah can exchange a number of smaller gifts for something bigger, like china.

bsy

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:39 am
Glasses, salad bowl and servers, cutlery, napkin rings. Anything goes really. I kept some useful salad bowls and returned the rest for store credit. That way I can use more money for something I need or to get a set of matching items.

farm

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:28 am
If she's the type, a set of cookbooks is fun and maybe a drop more original? As long as the seforim store allows her to exchange for something else if she gets doubles or doesn't like. We chipped in for the typical specialty Jewish housewares store kallah package but I truthfully find them a rip off- basically beautifully gift wrapped housewares you can get for a better price online.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics