Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Frugal living ideas

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 1:06 pm
Frugal living tips I already do so many but I am desperately looking to find a way to save more or do something so we can catch up we always have times where we are ok. and times we fall behind and now is one time like this. We do pay a lot in medical and don't get state insurance which is our #1 expense and nothing we can do about it. We don't get any kind of government assistance.
Things I do now
Don't use disposals
Use minimal paper towels we use rags and dish towels
Hardly do take out
Keep the heat lower in winter and try to keep AC units off if we can ( not in the heat wave)
I shop carefully and coupon do simple shabbos meals and not much meat during the week but I also stretch out the chop meat I buy by adding more ingredients to it.
Get books from the local library
Use as much hand me down clothes that I can ( even for me if someone is offering)and if not shop carefully with looking for sales I don't buy high end anything
I do have cleaning help I usally go and cut that out when we get tight but my dh said no because of my job that I do in my home it's almost like a buisness expense
Probably more that I can't think off the top of my head
I don't even know where to cut anymore I feel like we cut everywhere we can
So any ideas I have not thought of of easy cheap meal ideas would be so helpful

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 1:11 pm
One idea I like is using the free section on Craigslist. If I need a piece of furniture or something, I look for it there. I also browse it every so often and have gotten some great toys and games for the kids that way. There's also local Freecycle groups and l'sheim mitzvah giveaway listings in local frum papers.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 1:11 pm
No mani/pedi. No facials/massages.

Minimal going out to eat

Bake cakes (or even challah if you can) instead of buying

Minimal AC use

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 1:13 pm
try to follow Ali for clothing for yourself and kids and accessories. Follow things like Pz deals for necessary things when they go on sale. shop for food at cheaper stores like Aldi. use cash, helps you budget.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 1:25 pm
My husband gives the boys their haircuts (has gotten extremely good at it over the years)
Increase income- search for a better paying job in your own field... of course don't quit until this is sealed and make sure your boss doesn't know you're looking.
Cell phone/ internet: check if you can get a better deal than what you have.
Good luck!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 2:12 pm
is there anyway to get a job with health insurance? Right now my dh's job doesn't subsidize health insurance and it's a fortune!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
is there anyway to get a job with health insurance? Right now my dh's job doesn't subsidize health insurance and it's a fortune!

My health insurance comes from my dh job is still crazy $$$$$

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 3:10 pm
Fabulous wrote:
try to follow Ali for clothing for yourself and kids and accessories. Follow things like Pz deals for necessary things when they go on sale. shop for food at cheaper stores like Aldi. use cash, helps you budget.

So I use cash like 85% of the time and if not I use the debit card I hardly ever use the credit card for things like groceries I do couponing so I get a lot of my toiletries for free and I good price on most of my groceries.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
Frugal living tips I already do so many but I am desperately looking to find a way to save more or do something so we can catch up we always have times where we are ok. and times we fall behind and now is one time like this. We do pay a lot in medical and don't get state insurance which is our #1 expense and nothing we can do about it. We don't get any kind of government assistance.
Things I do now
Don't use disposals
Use minimal paper towels we use rags and dish towels
Hardly do take out
Keep the heat lower in winter and try to keep AC units off if we can ( not in the heat wave)
I shop carefully and coupon do simple shabbos meals and not much meat during the week but I also stretch out the chop meat I buy by adding more ingredients to it.
Get books from the local library
Use as much hand me down clothes that I can ( even for me if someone is offering)and if not shop carefully with looking for sales I don't buy high end anything
I do have cleaning help I usally go and cut that out when we get tight but my dh said no because of my job that I do in my home it's almost like a buisness expense
Probably more that I can't think off the top of my head
I don't even know where to cut anymore I feel like we cut everywhere we can
So any ideas I have not thought of of easy cheap meal ideas would be so helpful

Can you post your budget and we can try to help u where u can cut down? (Disclaimer: u need thick skin for this.. ppl will to take it apart.. but u might get some good advice as well. We don't know what your spending on so we can't tell u where to be more frugal)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics