Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
So I figured out one of my emotional eating triggers
1  2  3  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:18 pm
After losing some weight through sheer grit, exercise, extreme self-discipline, I got stuck. I find myself "treating" myself every so often... I'm trying to lose some more, about 5-8 pounds. In order to figure out what can give me that extra boost, I've been reading some books and they all start with the emotional aspect of eating.

So I did some introspection and I realized that for me, after a full day with the kids, especially after bath and bed-time and maybe cleaning up the kitchen, I feel like I need to treat myself. I need to unwind and because I worked so hard (and stayed so patient with the kids, etc.), I deserve a slice of cake or a bag of popcorn or whatever.

I'm looking for a replacement. What else can I do to relax, unwind and feel like I'm treating myself? Reading a book doesn't do it for me because usually that comes along with food. Sitting on imamother too. Except now I'm in my bedroom hiding out from the food in the kitchen. And I want to wash dishes, but I"m afraid I'll succumb. I used up my calories for today already. I'm not hungry. It's simply the pull of the sweetness/saltiness and the mindlessness of it.

What can I do to help myself break through this?

My4Jewels

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:22 pm
I find staying in my room helps alot too. And going to sleep. The next morning I feel differently. Good luck!!!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:23 pm
I'm in middle of a project. I'm doing diamond painting but it could be anything. Painting, needlepoint, beading etc. I find it relaxing and soothing.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 9:25 pm
First of all, brush your teeth. That takes the edge off.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:28 pm
What about a relaxing shower or bath?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:36 pm
I don't want to DO anything. I have plenty hobbies, but the feeling is to do something mindless, not productive.

Tonight (while waiting for the responses here, I didn't want to blow it, so) I just clamped my mouth while sweeping the kitchen floor and fled back to my room. Gonna do the dishes tomorrow . But it's really not a good solution.

worldpeace

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:43 pm
I had 2 cups of mint tea so that I wouldn’t eat as much since I’m not hungry but I like to eat anyways when when not hungry

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:50 pm
worldpeace wrote:
I had 2 cups of mint tea so that I wouldn’t eat as much since I’m not hungry but I like to eat anyways when when not hungry

Tea comes with a teaspoon of honey which I don't want to consume now. Only water after 7 pm. Once I start making allowances, it snowballs easily.

zebra111

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 3:04 am
Could a piece of nice flavoured gum work maybe?

soap suds

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 8:22 am
zebra111 wrote:

This. Gives you the mindless chewing motion, plus the flavor fools you into thinking that you're eating so you won't crave more.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 8:50 am
A glass of wine? That’s what I do Wednesday nights.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 8:53 am
You can have water with ice if you want to crunch something. But honestly, eating at night is a habit. Go two weeks without doing it and the craving will lessen significantly.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 9:34 am
zebra111 wrote:

It does the job for the first 60 seconds but after that, it leaves my mouth dry and in search of "real" food. My experience.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
A glass of wine? That’s what I do Wednesday nights.

At 7 calories per gram? No way! I do love drinking but I've really tried to cut down to about once a week or less (usually shabbas).

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
You can have water with ice if you want to crunch something. But honestly, eating at night is a habit. Go two weeks without doing it and the craving will lessen significantly.

I'm already a week in. I'm looking for a replacement to fill that emotional need of "reward" after a full day.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 9:57 am
Sit down with a large cup of ice cubes, add some water or bit of juice, and chew on them until they’re gone!

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:45 am
Speak on the phone with someone. A nice long DMC. It's rude to be chewing and talking at the same time. lol

Woman of Valor

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:15 pm
The part about clamping mouth while cleaning and running to your room was sad to read. I wonder if depriving yourself could backfire. You work so hard. Can you plan 1 treat per day, for end of day, low calorie, so you can look forward? You are right that you deserve it. Just within reason. Like, 2 peanut chews or a bag of popcorn.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:31 pm
Can you plan for the treat, like cut calories somewhere else in your day so you can have your treat? Or maybe you can make it a low calorie treat.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:54 pm
Have you tried just drinking a LOT of water? I find, if I make my stomach feel full to bursting, the last thing I want is to put food in it. Then, once your mind is off food, it becomes easier to think about something else to do that fellas like a nice reward.

Of course I recognize this doesn't work for everyone. If you're the kind of person who never feels that full, I suppose this won't help. Sorry.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise