Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why is school so expensive?
1  2  Next

Beingreal

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 8:35 pm
I can't afford tuition....and the school doesn't want to keep my son for a whole day but a half day! I want to move so tuition won't be so hard!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 10:20 pm
Running a school is expensive.

Look at how much public schools spend her kid. And teachers are still paying out of pocket for so many of their classroom supplies.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 10:44 pm
How old is your son? If it’s just kindergarten, our school doesn’t give discounts if you want to send for a whole day. At that age it’s not necessary.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 10:52 pm
It costs way more to run a school than the amount they're getting from tuition.
There's staff to pay, rent or mortgage, busses& maintenance,supplies.....

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 10:55 pm
Beingreal wrote:
I can't afford tuition....and the school doesn't want to keep my son for a whole day but a half day! I want to move so tuition won't be so hard!

Which place has cheaper tuition?

Beingreal

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:12 pm
Half day...but what do I do the other half of the day?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:44 pm
There are many threads about voucher programs in Ohio and Indiana .. Do a search

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 12:09 am
Beingreal wrote:
Half day...but what do I do the other half of the day?

Do you work during those hours?

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 1:22 am
There are so many benefits to have him stay ib the afternoon. My other son did and learned a lot. My dhs job just doesn't pay enough. I am looking for a job but no luck so far. He is the type of kid who needs the afternoon too.

We want to move to Ohio but my dh is having trouble with the job market there...

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 2:13 am
I'm in cleveland. What's his field? Yours?

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 7:15 am
He does sales and customer service and does bookkeeping on the side. I can do all sorts of things I have experience in being a secretary as well as teaching. We are thinking so many times to quit and just move because we can't afford living here but that is not smart. I can't get my kids basic things.

Can you help me?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:01 am
Beingreal wrote:
He does sales and customer service and does bookkeeping on the side. I can do all sorts of things I have experience in being a secretary as well as teaching. We are thinking so many times to quit and just move because we can't afford living here but that is not smart. I can't get my kids basic things.

Can you help me?

Would you be interested in Cincinnati or only Cleveland? If so, I can put you in touch with someone who helps people looking to move here.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:23 am
I work in finance in a school. I don't think ppl realize the amount of money it takes to run a school. We impose a tuition minimum because otherwise we just can't survive

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:42 am
I'm pretty sure I know the community you are referring to. Their policy from what I understand is no scholarships for full day kindergarten unless mother is working or there is some other big reason why child can't stay home. For your average SAHM, it isn't responsible for the school to use their limited funds on scholarships for afternoon kindergarten. As a SAHM who has always paid full tuition I actually do understand where they are coming from.

I know a SAHM who like you disagreed and switched to the cheder. Is that an option?

In terms of what to do with him in the afternoon- don't know if you live walking distance to a playground but playgrounds are awesome for that age and if you go during school time it's not overcrowded. I used to take my dd to a local playground all. the. time. You can also do free form art like drawing, water colors.... building toys, imaginary play. go to the library and take out books

what exactly do you think the kids are learning in the afternoon that you are concerned about him not learning? I kept my 3 year old home this year (long story) and while I didn't really do parsha but I made sure to teach her the ma nishtana... but if you want to do parsha you can probably just use the midrash says...

my 3 year can already recognize her letters...she is definitely not behind her peers who went to school, she already interviewed for next year and got in. She got lots of Mommy time and life experience- baking with mommy, talking to savta on the phone going food shopping -in one store she can do self check out- major excitement Wink

anon for this

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 9:59 am
One of my sons didn't go to playgroup, and didn't start school until after her turned 4. He was a regular active kid, but I didn't see any reason to incur another expense when I wasn't working outside the home. I didn't have a formal curriculum for him, but he picked up a lot from his older siblings. I don't think he ever lagged behind and has always done well at school and been well-liked by other kids too B"H.

Another one of my children attended a public preschool, so while she learned how to read and simple math, she didn't have any formal Jewish instruction until Pre1A (her preschool teacher did teach her a little bit of ma nishtana). I did teach her aleph-beis and made sure she learned parsha when I reviewed with her siblings.

If you feel that your son would benefit from a more structured afternoon, maybe try to set up a round-robin playgroup with a few other mothers.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 10:08 am
Can I recommend that perhaps you can look for other people in the same situation and do a round robin (a playgroup that rotates- each day it's at someone else's house). There's no major planning involved. What about a playgroup. They tend to be cheaper.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 10:31 am
I loved the kids learn about caterpillars turn in a butterfly...and the social aspect.
. I cant drive so taking him anywhere would be hard.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 10:46 am
It's expensive.
But also some schools only want rich. Others do it because profit.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:31 am
Beingreal wrote:
I loved the kids learn about caterpillars turn in a butterfly...and the social aspect.
. I cant drive so taking him anywhere would be hard.

As an aside if you really do plan on moving to Ohio or anywhere oot you'll need to drive. I'm assuming you're in the tristate area where it's much easier getting around without a car. Also I believe that if you want to get vouchers to free tuition in Cleveland for instance I believe your child needs to start in pre school. Look into it first.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:
As an aside if you really do plan on moving to Ohio or anywhere oot you'll need to drive. I'm assuming you're in the tristate area where it's much easier getting around without a car. Also I believe that if you want to get vouchers to free tuition in Cleveland for instance I believe your child needs to start in pre school. Look into it first.

Yes, moving to Ohio means learning to drive. OP, I'm sure you could learn.

About vouchers, I can only speak for Cincinnati. You can start at any age if u just moved in. If u were already here its more complicated. To apply for vouchers for the next year, you need an address here by July 31 I think. Again, OP, lmk if ur interested in cinci.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics