Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Why do I associate G-d with death?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 9:39 am
To me the hand of G-d is when someone dies. I don't feel or see Hashem as I go about my day, but when I hear r"l that someone has passed that's when I feel Hashem and tremble. This relationship with Hashem is depressing. My associations with Hashem should be "life" and "optimism"
Perhaps my hashkafa is off...

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 12:29 pm
God is in control. He creates life - He takes it away. Can we even begin to fathom or understand why some people die who want to live, why there is illness, or suicide ?! no more than we can understand marriage, birth or other life's milestones. Life is scary.

אמונה = having faith
ביטחון = certainty in the faith

The difference is with the latter, you let go & let god - knowing that Hashem rules the world & there is nothing that we can do about it but have faith that our efforts are not in vain & prayerfully we will survive the chaos He created - in life & in death.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
To me the hand of G-d is when someone dies. I don't feel or see Hashem as I go about my day, but when I hear r"l that someone has passed that's when I feel Hashem and tremble. This relationship with Hashem is depressing. My associations with Hashem should be "life" and "optimism"
Perhaps my hashkafa is off...

Good that you are aware of this! It's something we all have to work on.

One way is through bringing Hashem more into your life. Bite into something delicious and feel it hit your tastebuds: think "wow, Hashem is allowing me to feel such pleasure!" Find a parking spot: think "I didn't have to get a parking spot but Hashem saved one for me." And there are many more situations where a person can bring Hashem into their thoughts and develop a relationship with Him. Even thinking "what does Hashem want from me right now" (which is something I have a hard time with personally)

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 1:03 pm
I think you’re right, your attitude is off. You take the good stuff for granted, therefore you neither feel nor see the Hand of G-d when things go well, but when there’s a tragedy you become a believer because there’s no one else to turn to. This is not, btw, unusual. As the saying goes, there are no atheists in foxholes.

Why not try actively LOOKING for signs of His presence and cultivating your sense of gratitude to Him? Maybe start by choosing one small blessing or prayer —particularly a blessing before or after something enjoyable
like food, drink, wearing something new or inhaling sweet fragrance, and really concentrate on the meaning of the blessing. Then branch out, pay attention to good things that come your way and say “ thank You”.

It’s unrealistic to expect to feel His presence all the time in a “trembling before the L-rd” way. You can be thinking “this is the Hand of G-d” and appreciate it without necessarily experiencing transcendent religious ecstasy. After all, we say SHIVITI HaShem lenegdi tamid (I set or place), not HIRGASHTI (I sense.) This is an active, not passive, verb. I’m taking action. I’m expending effort. I PLACE G-d before me. He isn’t appearing or making Himself felt while I sit around waiting to be enveloped in grace.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics