Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ouch! Does your pediatrician do hemoglobin test @ physical?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 12:36 pm
I have symptoms much before I'm in danger.
Some people on contrary don't have symptoms or issue despite a very low rate.
I cannot imagine going to yearly or two yearly exams for no reason. But it's not my education
Also - emla won't help for a blood test, it's too deep. They used to guilt trip you to do them for vaccines but yeah, no. It doesn't help.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jul 07 2018, 1:41 pm
for a fingerprick it helps

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 3:35 am
amother wrote:
There are a few things you can do to make this easier

a) there is an anaesthetic cream you can rub on 15 minutes before you go so you cant feel it
b) get them to prick to the side of the finger not on the ball of the finger - far less painfull
c) get your child to hang their arm facing down for half an hour beforehand so the blood comes quickly and they don't have to literally squeeze

Talking form experience? Your kids claim the numbing cream helped them? As well as the side of the finger?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:16 am
I've watched hundreds of pediatric blood draws. The most helpful thing you can do as a mom is stay calm and positive yourself.
If my kids cry during a blood draw I say in a quiet voice "we're doing this to keep you healthy".

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:09 am
Oh my goodness! I've never heard of 'routine' blood draws or finger sticks for well-visits (not for my children nor in my training). Are most of the amothers from the USA?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
I've watched hundreds of pediatric blood draws. The most helpful thing you can do as a mom is stay calm and positive yourself.
If my kids cry during a blood draw I say in a quiet voice "we're doing this to keep you healthy".

And when you do this, but your kid is strong (and sometimes big) and refusing to have it done? Would love any practical tips.

I cannot tell you how many doctors have told my kids it will only hurt for the second of the prick, and not much. That prick hurts them a lot, the actual blood draw hurts them more, and afterwards, it hurts for awhile. Anything used to numb the area helps a bit only for the initial prick.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics