Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Help with a gourmet shabbos lunch menu
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:08 pm
My husband just invited his friend and wife for shabbos lunch.
They are very fancy people who eat gourmet.
Please if someone could give me a menu from start to finish I would greatly appreciate it.
I freeze up in situations like this.
We are not big shabbos lunch eaters so I never really make anything.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:09 pm
What do you mean they eat gourmet?
What do you usually serve shabbos day?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What do you mean they eat gourmet?
What do you usually serve shabbos day?

They are very fancy people who cook very fancy dishes.
I usually just have chulent and salad.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
They are very fancy people who cook very fancy dishes.
I usually just have chulent and salad.

I was once where u are now...take it from me and stop trying to impress! This will cause u untold stress, you’ll never feel “good enough,”or like u can compete with their high falutin’ standards and it is a killer of self esteem! Just pick a few dishes u normally make, especially if there are some u feel confident are very tasty, buy a nice dessert, and don’t stress yourself! It’s not worth it!

simba

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:30 pm
Please don't stress out for guests. You don't need to cook gourmet for them because they decide to do that for themselves.
Do the classics with a nice twist so you feel adequate and that's all.
Guests come for the company the food shouldn't be the focus.
Challa. Fish. Dips. A few salads. Cholent. Some sort of side with either deli or kugel (make it in cupcake tins so it looks dressier) and ice cream with fresh fruit for dessert. Offer tea and put some nuts and mints on the table if they hang around and schmooze.

Main point: do not stress. Relax. Enjoy the process and their company.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:53 pm
Make things that you are comfortable making. I cook pretty gourmet but I really don’t care what other people make. If you want to do a nicer meal than usual have a fish course with dips and then the Cholent and salads you usually make

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 9:26 pm
Keep it simple but serve more food.
Have the table set before they get there.
Buy dips, transfer them to nice little bowls and put out on the table. Serve with the challah. Make fish. Something simple and delicious. Which fish would you like to serve? We can direct you.
Then serve a nice salad. You can totally just toss together romaine lettuce, sliced red onion circles, add cubes of kirbies and tomatoes, then keep a dish of your favorite dressing on the side of the salad bowl.
If you like traditional foods, serve egg salad at the same time.
Bring out the cholent in a nice big bowl along with a platter of cold cuts.
Then serve dessert. Bought sorbet scoops served in the tea cups that come with your dishes set works well with dessert spoons. You can add a mint leaf if that feels right to you.
Enjoy your guests!

real israeli

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 10:56 pm
Does no one here serve eggs and liver shabbos lunch?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 10:58 pm
I do:)

imamothertoo

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:01 pm
I don’t serve fish by day. I serve eggs and liver and a meat salad.
Then I serve Cholent w cold cuts. Potato kugel. Apple something. And hot pastrami or corned

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:13 pm
real israeli wrote:
Does no one here serve eggs and liver shabbos lunch?

I would love chopped liver but don’t live in an area where it is sold....... now I’m craving some!!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:29 pm
Thank you,

The people I am having are not big eaters but are into good fancy food.
I usually serve salmon for shalosh Seudas but might serve it instead for lunch. Or if I have time might do a tri color gefilta fish.
Will have chulent and maybe a corned beef and schnitzel. Salad and Cole slaw and one other salad.
We aren't into kugel but might make one.
Dessert a brownie with ice cream and fruit.

Anything else?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:36 pm
You’re getting me nervous because I’m having guests shabbos lunch and come to think of it .... most of my shabbos prep was for Friday night!

Let’s see what I have:
I have homemade challah
I cooked a loaf of gefilte fish
I bought dips- probably 4 or 5
Pickles
I will make coleslaw tomorrow
Tomato salad - will making shabbos morning
Chulent- will make tomorrow-
I usually save a big piece of potato kugel from the week before that I wrap up and place in chulent pot for overnight kugel
Bought turkey roll, salami and pastrami and have 1 piece of schnitzel left over from last night that I will cut up and place in deli platter
Lukshen kugel- will heat up if leftover from Friday night
That’s really it!
Dessert will be a scoop of mango sorbet in dessert bowls
Maybe I’ll have a chance to bake brownies tomorrow that I can cut up

I usually serve eggs and liver when I have guests but I went shopping today and didn’t buy liver...

Sometimes I heat up deli rolls... I have in freezer but not so much and my kids usually eat that on Friday night.. don’t feel like making more

Nothing fancy at all, just tasty food
I find that if you set the table nicely and serve elegantly it gives the meal a different feel... don’t make yourself crazy with tons of food that they probably won’t even eat. Focus on which platters you will use... go set your table... do a good job with the napkins!

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
Thank you,

The people I am having are not big eaters but are into good fancy food.
I usually serve salmon for shalosh Seudas but might serve it instead for lunch. Or if I have time might do a tri color gefilta fish.
Will have chulent and maybe a corned beef and schnitzel. Salad and Cole slaw and one other salad.
We aren't into kugel but might make one.
Dessert a brownie with ice cream and fruit.

Anything else?

Sounds great. I don’t think you need a kugel.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 5:40 am
I agree that you don’t need to cook gourmet just because that’s what your guests eat, but you definitely could up your ante because your having guests. I do at least.

First course:
Make a lot of salads and dips (or buy them). Serve a grilled chicken or steak salad with a choice of dressings (oil and mayo based).

Second:
Then you can serve eggs, liver and some finger foods (are you into Syrian Mazza? lachmagene [meat pizzas], mini chicken nuggets are not too hard to make).

Third:
A platter of cold cuts, cholent (make Chamin instead of you feel daring), and overnight potato kugel. If you have a second crock pot you can make a pulled beef roast (yum) as well.

For desert serve vanilla ice cream but dress it up with a chocolate ganache or caramel sauce and pecans along side a good cookie. A platter of assorted nuts and candy and another of fruit are also a welcome addition. Serve with a light dessert wine.

Good luck and enjoy! Don’t stress!!

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 6:58 am
It’s all in the presentation
Cholent served in a beautiful thick Crystal bowl rather than a 9x13 tin, or at the kitchen is already gourmet. Same Cholent.
Think out of the box when choosing serving platters. And do this before hand so you are not nervous when the time comes.

Can you use real. China, or at least fancier disposable.
Set the table very pretty, prettier napkins, etc.

Make a variety of classics, but don’t over fill the serving platter. If you need to go back and refill

It will be more work cleaning up and not everyone can do that.

I would serve a plated salad with fish in it, could be lox. Some dips (2-3) at the table with the challah, and maybe a crudité platter.
Everything at the table ready to go.

For the meal, cholent, potato kugel, grilled boneless chicken served room temp, some type of grilled veg, a big green salad dressing on the side.

Many times ppl are vegan or restrictive diets and don’t mention it. IMO the menu above takes this into account.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 2:36 pm
OP I’m curious to know your menu in the end.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 3:05 pm
Thank you all so much for your help. It helped me a lot.
I have very fancy dishes and silverware and glasses.
I am just so rushed on a Friday and just don't have time to think about extra fancy food.

Have a good shabbos everyone.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 3:36 pm
Enjoy your guests!

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 5:21 pm
SuperWify wrote:
OP I’m curious to know your menu in the end.

I made tricolor gefilta fish with dips and coleslaw and cucumber salad. If I have time I will make salmon but not sure.

Then will have chulent with potato kugel and corn beef, deli roll, schnitzel. I made a grilled salad with Romain lettuce and grilled vegetables with corn beef.

I made an angel food cake which I will put in between the layers whip topping with pineapple and I will serve fresh fruit on the side.
They don't eat a lot but whatever they do it is fancy and sophisticated.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note