Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Going mad shopping for a refrigerator

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:09 pm
I'm shopping for a fridge, not looking for the "cheapest" b/c I want it to last, but budget friendly. The width its my "achilles heel" I think my max width is 33". I cant find one that I can verify on the Star-K website. I would love a French door, but I can't seem to find one that's moderately priced. My "grand compromise" was going to be a bottom mount freezer, but all I'm seeing is Amana, Whirlpool and GE which are not listed on the Star-K and Frigidaire an Kitchenaids don't list any bottom-mount fridges that I can find. I'm trying to take advantage of the July4th sales b/4 I move.

ces

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:20 pm
I think you should stop by the op of the privacy thread to check hers out LOL

L K

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 11:34 pm
Call town appliance in Lakewood and ask for advice. As a bonus, they usually offer very competitive prices.

As to models being star-k listed or not, I don't know if it's gonna help you but the adhesive double-piece that holds fridge switch down helps solve some issues.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 1:04 am
L K wrote:
Call town appliance in Lakewood and ask for advice. As a bonus, they usually offer very competitive prices.

As to models being star-k listed or not, I don't know if it's gonna help you but the adhesive double-piece that holds fridge switch down helps solve some issues.

I actually did and she gave me some suggestions, but I can't find ones in the brands she recommended and in my price range--one was like $1800. Or they are too wide. They don't deliver to where I'm going to be living.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 4:55 am
What is your budget? Is there a Lowes and/or Home Depot in the area you will be living? They often have sales, as well as coupons, which may make the model you want affordable.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 7:10 am
Just check that the fridge has Sabbath Mode.
It’s stated in the manual.
I know Samsung does not.
I love my Frigidaire, not the size you are looking for.
I had GE. Had no luck everything kept breaking, the middle strip from the French Door, and the shelves cracked easily.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 8:47 am
OP, why are so concerned with Star-K hechsher? The light in the fridge for Shabbos is easy to fix.
At least in Israel the French door or side-by-side are always wider than a bottom freezer-fridge on top.
Buy quality like Amana (assembled in the US or made in USA) if you can and no sh*tty Asian digital stuff which is garbage in a fancy package.

elisheva25

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 9:28 am
First, any fridge can be turned into Shabbos mode. There are special magnets you can buy.
Frum companies can tell you about them
Look hon Town Appliances in Lakewood. They have a site. They also sell for a lot less than even the discounted prices listed on their site. They will beat any price in any store
. They also know about Shabbos mode. You pick and they deliver the next day. Truth is we also had a hard time, we returned the fridge twice that we purchased till we found the right one, but they worked with us. Size was an issue not Shabbos mode . Look up their number and call them.
They can guide you how to get magnets to turn any fridge into Shabbos mode.

cookies6

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 10:39 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, why are so concerned with Star-K hechsher? The light in the fridge for Shabbos is easy to fix.
At least in Israel the French door or side-by-side are always wider than a bottom freezer-fridge on top.
Buy quality like Amana (assembled in the US or made in USA) if you can and no sh*tty Asian digital stuff which is garbage in a fancy package.

The way fridges are made these days, it's more than the light you have to be concerned about. Also, the lights in many fridges now are LED and built in so not like the old days where you can just twist or remove the light bulb.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 1:49 pm
Call back Towne appliance
Ask them to send you a link to the fridge they recommended- it’s probably on their website

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 1:52 pm
ces wrote:
I think you should stop by the op of the privacy thread to check hers out LOL

Rolling Laughter I actually opened this thread to post this

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 2:26 pm
It's a top mount but how about this 33" Samsung fridge? The price is right and Samsung is a decent brand: https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-......html

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:48 pm
Op, what did you end up getting at the end?
I’m desperately searching for a new fridge now...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen