Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
9 days vegan ideas

corolla

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:57 am
We don't have a milchig kitchen, so I'm looking for some filling vegan/vegetarian meal ideas for the days when we're sick of fish. Thanks!

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:04 am
The new book millennial kosher has some ideas I want to try like tempeh tacos, pad Thai using quinoa instead of noodles,risotto with barley instead of rice.

corolla

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:05 am
mha3484 wrote:
The new book millennial kosher has some ideas I want to try like tempeh tacos, pad Thai using quinoa instead of noodles,risotto with barley instead of rice.

Sadly, I don't have it Sad

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:10 am
Tacos. Use beans in place of meat.

Lentil burgers with all the fixins.

Hearty soup, crusty bread, quinoa filled Portobello mushrooms sprinkled with pine nuts.

Spinach lasagna.

What do you mean by milchig kitchen?
Do you have a dairy pot/frying pan that can be used on a burner (flame burners are not inherently meaty or dairy or even trief)?
Are you able to sprinkle cold bought cheese over parve dishes?

Just remember that there are only 5 out of the 9 days this year that you need to serve a non meaty dinner. Smile

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total

krembo

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:14 am
Whole wheat wraps with roasted veggies and cut-up omelet.

Frittata and roasted potatoes.

A filling soup and toast or rolls.

Veggie burgers.

Brown rice or quinoa with sautéed veggies and avocado.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:43 am
Tofu stir fry, lentil Salad, burritos with refried beans and brown rice and guacamole, cornbread ( not vegan but can be pareve) and quinoa chili, chickpea stew with couscous, shakshuka ( not vegan but pareve)

rmbg

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:55 am
I’m confused. If you eat vegan all the time, what is different about the nine day?

kugelzlady

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:00 am
https://minimalistbaker.com/me.....toes/

Very yummy and filling!!

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:33 am
Why would the 9 days be different if you are vegan?

corolla

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:23 am
OutATowner wrote:
Why would the 9 days be different if you are vegan?

Not vegan, normally. I just don't have a milchig stove, sink, and dishes, so I was looking for recipes that don't involve meat (obviously), milk, or fish (of which we will be eating plenty).
Thanks for your suggestions.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:36 am
Some cold dairy dishes that are verg good are macaroni cheese salad, Greek feta salad, Caesar cheese salad, or Greek pasta salad. Parve egg and avocado salad is delicious too with a warm crusty baguette.

You can also do a hot pasta dish with warm eggplant and tomato and sprinkle parmesan cheese over each plate before eating.
Same for baked potato. When it's steaming hot and still parve at that point, place on a plastic plate, cut in half, add shredded cheese with some parve sauteed and seasoned diced veggies, press closed and watch the cheese melt. You'll have a yummy cheese stuffed potato.
Pasta can be cooked, transferred to disposable plastic while steaming hot, add cheese and it will be melty and delicious.
Soup too you can add cheese when serving hot.
Dd toasts bread and when it's still very hot she puts shredded cheese between two pieces, wraps the sandwich in silver foil and after a bit, ends up with grilled cheese.

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:58 am
Falafel
Omelets and hash browns
Rice and Beans
Mushroom-A-Roni - like beefaroni, but use finely diced mushroom instead
Stuffed tomatoes with rice or quinoa and other veggies
Breakfast for dinner
Avocado toast and creamy soup

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:55 pm
Respectfully I never heard of having a 'milchig' or 'fleishig' stove. Everyone I know has one stove, just separate pots/pans

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 2:55 pm
I haven't looked at these extensively but here are some good references:

https://www.thebuddhistchef.com/recipes/

http://blog.fablunch.com/

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 4:11 pm
corolla wrote:
Not vegan, normally. I just don't have a milchig stove, sink, and dishes, so I was looking for recipes that don't involve meat (obviously), milk, or fish (of which we will be eating plenty).
Thanks for your suggestions.

Oh, gotcha. So then eggs are ok...lots of different parve quiches you can make with egg as the protein. Some great ideas on this thread.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 12:25 am
pesek zman wrote:
Respectfully I never heard of having a 'milchig' or 'fleishig' stove. Everyone I know has one stove, just separate pots/pans

Same here, although I have a friend who has a cooking range size XL and she uses two of the burners for dairy only.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 12:35 am
OP, please be aware of that there is a big difference of the terms between vegan and vegetarian. Vegan means totally free from any produce from any animal (I think even honey but not sure) or meat/chicken itself as well as eggs. Vegetarian: here there is a variety of different 'vegetarian', there is lacto-ovo vegetarian and those who do eat fish etc.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:17 am
Eggplant slices fried in batter

Mushroom-barley-vegetable soup (we replace the barley with sushi rice, for a gluten-free option)

Focaccia

Knishes, if you're in the mood to patchke

Sushi

Debbie

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 1:12 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, please be aware of that there is a big difference of the terms between vegan and vegetarian. Vegan means totally free from any produce from any animal (I think even honey but not sure) or meat/chicken itself as well as eggs. Vegetarian: here there is a variety of different 'vegetarian', there is lacto-ovo vegetarian and those who do eat fish etc.

Vegans don't eat honey,my daughter is vegan.
Vegetarians don't eat fish,someone who refrains from meat but does eat fish is a pescetarian.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics