Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is more per month daycamp tuition or roughly the same
Previous  1  2

What is more expensive- daycamp or tuition?
Daycamp  
 48%  [ 52 ]
Tuition  
 34%  [ 37 ]
Pretty much the same  
 17%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 108

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
Jewish day camps in my area are all not-for-profit. Camp is a little higher than school per month. They charge less if you sign up very early for the next summer.

See, you say that, but what "profit" do you mean? You mean that the camp heads are making a profit , aka, their salary. Same goes with your teachers and principals. Especially your principals. So your Jewish school, in that regard, is "for profit" as well.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:54 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
See, you say that, but what "profit" do you mean? You mean that the camp heads are making a profit , aka, their salary. Same goes with your teachers and principals. Especially your principals. So your Jewish school, in that regard, is "for profit" as well.

Those words have real meanings in business/accounting. Not the ones you are providing.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:11 pm
Maya wrote:
No. In the schools that I know, it’s per month, charged for twelve months, with an additional month’s charges for a leap year. The per monthly fee is not smaller during a leap year.

how does that make any sense?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:06 am
imorethanamother wrote:

I run a (small) camp as part of my job. I don't make any money and nor do I aim to make a profit for my employer. (a shul) OTOH I send my kid to an overnight camp and I know the directors make a nice profit on it that goes mostly into their pockets/salary. They work hard to run this camp and parents have free choice to send their kids there, knowing its a money making thing for them.

Many camps/day camps are profitable for the directors, and it is possible they are making a large disproportionate profit compared to the actual time and effort they put in.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
I run a (small) camp as part of my job. I don't make any money and nor do I aim to make a profit for my employer. (a shul) OTOH I send my kid to an overnight camp and I know the directors make a nice profit on it that goes mostly into their pockets/salary. They work hard to run this camp and parents have free choice to send their kids there, knowing its a money making thing for them.

Many camps/day camps are profitable for the directors, and it is possible they are making a large disproportionate profit compared to the actual time and effort they put in.

The difference between a salary and profit from ownership is in theory the first (salary) is compensation for the job you do (in fairytale land it’s at a market rate) and the second (profit) is the difference between what comes in and what is spent (on things like salaries, supplies, rent...).

A shul runs as a nonprofit. If they took in more than they needed to run the camp, the camp would basically be acting as a partial fundraiser for the shul. That’s generally not the objective.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics