Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Where can I buy cheap fake silver candelabra
Previous  1  2

simba

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:01 pm
BTW. I do think that most people that have a silver candelabra in their homes, have a real silver and do spend a couple (up to 40!) of thousand dollars on. It is usually bought a bit later when you are "done" having kids.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:09 pm
https://www.classictouchdecor.......html

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:42 pm
simba wrote:
BTW. I do think that most people that have a silver candelabra in their homes, have a real silver and do spend a couple (up to 40!) of thousand dollars on. It is usually bought a bit later when you are "done" having kids.

Most people?

Not in my (Yeshivish) circles. Neither my mother or mother-in-law have a silver candelabra. I don't know many people who do.

creditcards

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:12 pm
Most people I know get 2 singles as gifts when they get married to start off with. And as you have more kids you buy something cheap like metal or crystal or even plain glass.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:
Most people?

Not in my (Yeshivish) circles. Neither my mother or mother-in-law have a silver candelabra. I don't know many people who do.

She wrote most people that have one, have real silver.

I agree- fake silver doesn't look good for long, and for that price I would sooner buy crystal.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:04 am
amother wrote:

I agree- fake silver doesn't look good for long, and for that price I would sooner buy crystal.

Op here
I live in a yeshivish community and everyone I saw (at Least as much as I remember) have silver looking candelabra. My daughter is very young and started asking me why don’t I have candelabra like everyone else.
I thought most people got it from their parents as a wedding gift because it’s so expensive.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Op here
I live in a yeshivish community and everyone I saw (at Least as much as I remember) have silver looking candelabra. My daughter is very young and started asking me why don’t I have candelabra like everyone else.
I thought most people got it from their parents as a wedding gift because it’s so expensive.

No one gets a candelabra as a wedding gift (unless maybe it's a second marriage). Most people start off marriage lighting two candles each week. Often they receive two silver candle sticks as a gift from family, but not every family does at all. Many people light one additional candle per child, which they will use glass, crystal, silver- maybe they get gifts, maybe they buy it themselves.

The people I know with a silver candelabra did not receive it until their children were older and they were less likely to add more candles. Sometimes they receive it as a gift from their children. Sometimes they buy it themselves.

Fake silver does not look good after some time. Just keep that in mind if you choose to buy it.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:47 am
OP, I'd check ebay for weighted silver. Weighted silver means that there is a thin (sometimes foil-thin) layer of sterling silver over a base, sometimes clay. You need to be careful because the layer is thin, but it looks fine. You can sometimes get a very good deal.

(My secret is that I buy antique sterling kiddush cups on ebay. I get good deals, and keep them in use for their original purpose.)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 1:38 pm
OMGosh, silver candelabras bring me back 10 years in time! I had a unique experience that can probably can only happen in Bnei Berak (or some other very frum place).

This was a couple of days before Lel Haseder. Chasdei Naomi (chessed organisation) arranges ha'agalat keilim free of charge and they are very popular due to this. It was a very hot day that day when I shlepped my things there, heavily sweating. It was in an area which can only be described as veeery deep in the cholent so to say, very religious. Separate counters for men and women. Forget about standing in line (this is Israel..)

The thunder of the large gas burners, the clatter of pots and pans, children in all ages everywhere watching the procedure, the mashgiach checking the utensils before it's being inserted. The air full of anticipation Pesach. I felt myself being transported in time a 150 years ago to a shetl in Poland.
Now, for some reason the yeshiva boys doing the haagalah gave more attention to the men at their place while the crowd of women just grew larger by the minute and no help. Then I see these 2 sweet little girls, each one carrying a huge Sterling silver candelabra in their hands, patiently waiting their turn. They were very elaborate pieces, must have cost a fortune. My eye balls almost popped out on spot, it was quite a sight I'm telling you!

In the heat I kind of lost my patience with the yeshiva guys as we were ignored and started to call out to the guys to come and help us too (probably not very eidel) until they couldn't ignore me, guarding the girls standing before me to make sure they weren't pushed away and bossily telling the yeshiva guy 'kodem haBanot!' in my best klafte voice to make sure he didn't dare to change his mind Wink
Candelabras underwent haagalah, girls walked back home, I prayed silently for the Sterling master pieces to get home safely and got an unforgettable experience.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 1:48 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
SNIP
Candelabras underwent haagalah, girls walked back home, I prayed silently for the Sterling master pieces to get home safely and got an unforgettable experience.

Not that this isn't a great story (ETA -- it is!) ... and I'm going to start using "deep in the cholent" in casual conversation now .... but why did candelabras need to be kashered for Pesach?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:05 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Not that this isn't a great story (ETA -- it is!) ... and I'm going to start using "deep in the cholent" in casual conversation now .... but why did candelabras need to be kashered for Pesach?

'Ein shoite be Pessach' as they say. People have all kinds of chumrot. Guess if people could bring their entire house or apartment for haagalah I'm sure they would Wink

Pesach joke: The toilet in a chareidi man's home cracked into pieces. It was just hours before the Seder and of course he removed the toilet bowl and ran to the hardware store to buy a new one. On his way to the store, carrying the toilet bowl over his shoulder other chareidi men called him out asking Who paskened?, 'mi pasak, Mi pasak? (I.e. who paskened you need a toilet bowl kosher for Pesach) Wink

creditcards

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:

I think if you want something nice looking that looks real you should get it in a Jewish Judaica store like eichlers. The first few years it will definitely look beautiful. If it starts looking not nice you can buy new ones then. The Jewish stores bring in every nice things. If you are careful with it, it will probably last longer. You don't need it to last forever if you spent on it just a few $100.

rgr

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:48 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Lol Six, you have to start a new thread of phrases you picked up on imamother. Wasn't it you who pointed out "all the nopes in nopesville"? I totally use that too now!

simba

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 3:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

If kept in the shabbos table all year with challa and chametz and you want to put it on the Pesach table. I don't know iF it needs to be but I can see why people do.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics