Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Anyone here watch ''disobedience''????
1  2  3  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:38 am
Just finished the movie..wow, what were ur reactions?
I didnt like that the end left me hanging..altho I assume she got divorced and went to NY..

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:27 pm
I want to watch it so badly, but I'm not for spiritual reasons.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
I want to watch it so badly, but I'm not for spiritual reasons.

💪🏼 Me neither

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
💪🏼 Me neither

Good to know I'm in good company!
Smile

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 1:03 pm
I thought I wanted to watch it, but after reading a review and plot summary, I see that it is decidedly not the sort of thing I want to see. Another "Fill the Void" or "Ushpizin" or "The Wedding Plan" it is not.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 1:06 pm
Two previous threads about this film

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....38772
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....39290

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 2:57 pm
Here's a review which says the Jewish part is poorly done.

4thebooks

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 3:40 pm
Where can one watch this?

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
Here's a review which says the Jewish part is poorly done.

The Jewish part was actually very well done. I can’t imagine why someone would say it wasn’t.

My issue with it was that it failed to invoke the emotion that it could have. I spoke to several people, and had that anticipation myself, that it would hit close to home for some of us and make us feel things based on what we’ve experienced. But it didn’t. The acting was good, the cinematography was nice, but overall it fell flat.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:48 pm
Maya if you grew up chassidish I don't think you would really understand the nuances of litvish life so it would not feel off to you. Just the trailer felt so fake to me.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:54 pm
I viewed the trailer and have no interest to see the movie. The trailer did not depict reality. So, no, not gonna see the movie.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:20 pm
My (formerly yeshivish, now not frum) relative made a point of telling me that he watched it. He said the acting was very realistic.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
I viewed the trailer and have no interest to see the movie. The trailer did not depict reality. So, no, not gonna see the movie.

Reality today on Imamother. Poster admits no attraction to spouse and is turned on by thinking of women.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:53 pm
I am yeshivish and actually found it very realistic!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:47 am
I watched just the trailer. Forget about the plot just watching the acting turned me off. No one who I know in real life talks, thinks or has the mannerisms of these actors.

That is just the acting.

As far as the plot is concerned, as Isaac Bashevis Singer put it back in the 1930s about his fellow OTD writers. "No one has any reason to read fictional stories about someone's fight with his father in law about leaving Chasidus for secularism, or why someone left a Yeshiva because secularism won him over. These stories are only written so that the author has a mouthpiece and the readers have validation"

Update that quote to movies today.

PS. IBS wrote the above as a totally neutral comment to explain why there were so many aspiring OTD writers in the 1930s yet virtually none of them were successful.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:59 am
amother wrote:
I watched just the trailer. Forget about the plot just watching the acting turned me off. No one who I know in real life talks, thinks or has the mannerisms of these actors.

Since when is ANY romance movie look like anything from real life?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:05 am
amother wrote:
Reality today on Imamother. Poster admits no attraction to spouse and is turned on by thinking of women.

I'm not disagreeing with this.
If you watch the trailer you'll see the level of aggression used is totally not a reflection of reality. It's more of a [filth] scene than a normative gay zex scene.

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:12 am
amother wrote:

That is just the acting.

As far as the plot is concerned, as Isaac Bashevis Singer put it back in the 1930s about his fellow OTD writers. "No one has any reason to read fictional stories about someone's fight with his father in law about leaving Chasidus for secularism, or why someone left a Yeshiva because secularism won him over. These stories are only written so that the author has a mouthpiece and the readers have validation"

Update that quote to movies today.

PS. IBS wrote the above as a totally neutral comment to explain why there were so many aspiring OTD writers in the 1930s yet virtually none of them were successful.

Could you give me your source for this quote?

Also, do you feel that the last sentence of the above quote, "These stories are only written so that the author has a mouthpiece and the readers have validation", applies to a significant percentage of frum literature? Why or why not?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:46 am
anon for this wrote:
Could you give me your source for this quote?

Also, do you feel that the last sentence of the above quote, "These stories are only written so that the author has a mouthpiece and the readers have validation", applies to a significant percentage of frum literature? Why or why not?

I can give you other surprising quotes coming from a person like him but I have no intentions of giving him any more publicity.

Frum fiction literature does not have an obsessive and almost exclusive focus on people coming to realize the truth of a frum lifestyle or the falsehood of a secular one.

Therefore I do not think the quote is true about most frum fiction literature.

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
Maya if you grew up chassidish I don't think you would really understand the nuances of litvish life so it would not feel off to you. Just the trailer felt so fake to me.

There aren’t that many differences in the nuances between right wing Yeshivish and chassidish. Perhaps if you’d actually watch the movie your opinion on this would have more clout.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics