Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are stand mixers worth it?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 5:30 pm
Anon because I've been talking about this irl.

I got a kitchenaid as a wedding present. Tried to like it but didn't. Found it a pain to clean. Also it usually didn't get all the stuff at the botttom of the bowl.

For the last 15 years, I've done everything by hand. Challah, cakes, cookies. Lately I'm trying to teach my kids how to be efficient in the kitchen. Should I reconsider a stand mixer? I gave mine away long ago. But I do see that most of the balabustas I know use one.

Anyone out there think it's worth buying one? How much time do you feel you save with a stand mixer?

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 5:34 pm
For me it's only worthwhile if it's all in one. Otherwise the appliances take up too much space and maintenance. I have the Bosch which I can use for challah, whip up egg whites...

Teomima

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 5:44 pm
There are some things I use it for, some things I don't. Challah I prefer to do by hand. But when I want to make a cake or cookies, I find the convenience of being able to just throw everything into the mixer and let it do its job to be well worth the valuable real estate on my counter. Yes I occasionally have to run a spatula along the bottom to make sure everything gets fully incorporated, but that just takes a second when making a batter.

cbs880

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 5:57 pm
I bake plenty. Had a stand mixer from years ago that I sold. Couldn't handle the AMT of space it took up. Bought myself a handheld mixer. Less work on my hands ( mixing by hand), doesn't take up a lot of space. Gets job done

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:04 pm
cbs880: THIS

my bosch was a wedding gift that just took up space for years until I gave it to my neighbour who apparently loves it. I hardly ever used it: hated the cleaning and the place it took up...my neighbour says she likes making cake batter with it...

I bake almost daily: challas, bread, cake, kokosh, coocies (not patchkedig stuff, but still) IME a cheap 13 euro handmixer does the job Smile

it cleans easily takes up hardly any space.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:19 pm
I prefer to make challah and most cookies by hand; I only use my kitchenaid for cakes. A handheld mixer would work just as well though.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:49 pm
I make challah and cake every week so its definitely worth it. I take it out once a week and the rest of the week it lives in the cupboard under the stairs like Harry Potter.

But I love its magical challah making abilities! And I can make a triple batch of cake in it very easily.

If I am just making a small cake during the week I use a handheld mixer.

For beating eggwhites a stand mixer is very useful.

If you don't make challah weekly it is not essential. I happen to like the way challah comes out in my mixer over the way it comes out when I make it by hand.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:09 pm
For cakes a hand mixer is fine but for someone who regularly bakes challah it’s worth while investing in a dough mixer that you like as it will make the kneading process much easier.

teachkids

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:12 pm
I find my mixer is great for large batches, so it only comes out for large batches. On the other hand, this means that I'll double or triple my cookie recipe and freeze the extra (sometimes raw).
Also have a Bosch, and I find that the top is flat enough that it can sit under other things, so yes it takes up space, but I have things stored on top of it, and I just move them when I need to dig it out.

esther36

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:37 pm
I have my Bosch for 15+ years and I'm a big Baker! Love it! Wouldn't trade it for anything! Make double, triple and quadruple batches of cake and cookies all the time with no stress. Great covered bowl! Recently got a kitchen aid but like my bosch way better!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:03 pm
I love my KitchenAid. I make challah by hand (though I mix the proofed yeast with all the ingredients besides challah, then dump into the stainless ball to knead by hand) but I do so much more with it. I make do with a hand mixer for Pesach, but that means any recipe that says, mix 3 minutes means, stand in place for 3 minutes. I couldn't do that year round.

But if it works for you, keep doing what you're doing.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:52 pm
Thanks for the different perspectives, this was helpful! I like doing my challah by hand, since I usually get in good davening during the 10 minutes I knead, also I just like the process and feel energized by getting my hands in the dough. I think I'm going to try a handheld mixer and see if that makes my kids faster with their baking. Sounds like overall the stand mixers are more worthwhile for people who use it for their challah. Thanks for everyone's input!

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:18 pm
op, I really think that if you ask 10 people, you will get 10 opinions. I have a Bosch, and I absolutely would not make challah by hand if I didn't have the machine. The few times I've tried I got Charlie Horse and I was exhausted the rest of the day. I know, I'm weird, but that's my perspective.

If making challah by hand works for you, then why fix what isn't broken?

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:28 pm
I have a magic mill and absokutely love it!
I only use it for making cakes, and I usually double the recipe.
I make my challah by hand. I find it comes out tastier and easier to clean up.

But if you're trying to teach efficiency in the kitchen, I'd suggest the magic mill.

Good luck! Live that you're being so proactive in teaching your children skills!

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:29 pm
I have a magic mill and absokutely love it!

But if you're trying to teach efficiency in the kitchen, I'd suggest the magic mill.

Good luck! Live that you're being so proactive in teaching your children skills!

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:57 pm
I have a magic mill and absolutely love it!

Good luck! Love that you're being so proactive in teaching your children skills!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the different perspectives, this was helpful! I like doing my challah by hand, since I usually get in good davening during the 10 minutes I knead, also I just like the process and feel energized by getting my hands in the dough. I think I'm going to try a handheld mixer and see if that makes my kids faster with their baking. Sounds like overall the stand mixers are more worthwhile for people who use it for their challah. Thanks for everyone's input!

Just to clarify, I could easily mix the liquids of the challah by hand, and I also like to make my challah by hand. I love my KitchenAid for everything else!

smss

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:24 am
Do Kitchen Aids fit 5 lbs of dough?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:03 am
It all depends on how much you bake. I have the magic mill and I love it as well. I make 6 lbs of challah in it, terrific for yeast doughs. It makes super "snows" for cakes as well. It definitely is a time saver. It's even worth having to clean it.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 1:23 pm
I have never used one, but that's because I use my food processor practically every day. Mine has a dough blade which I use for challah, and I can just use my hand mixer for cake batter.

OTOH, I cook a lot (make a lot of snacks out of minced vegetables) and don't bake much. The food processor can only hold 6 cups of flour at a time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen