Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help! Not managing laundry for 5 kids
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:00 pm
there are five of us...but as a tween I worked at a laaaarge families house (think 11 children, parents and another elderly relative). the mother had amazing tricks:

she had 3 normal sized simple cheap washing mashines (she said they were cheap on sale she bought them ten years earlier and they worked fine, nothing fancy) that had the option to do quick wash or half volume wash.

she threw in about 4 loads during the afternoon/early evening, BUT not all loads were LONG or FULL volume.

she was working and wasnt at home all day. this way she could take care of all types of laundry simultanously. also they changed linnen/sheets every wednesday. this way she could wash 14 sets in one afternoon.
she made sure that when she went to bed the laundry room was empty.

so after all kids bathed and some were in bed she threw in towels and whites in one laundry mashine and darks (uniform, romplers, ...), and lights in the third.
Or whatever types of laundry she had that day.

they had two laundry mashines (not big ones simple ones) in the laundry room and a third one fit in the kitchen (which was adjacent to the laundry room).

they did not have a dryer but hanged their laundry (I dont know why), which was A LOT OF work, but every day of the week a different child did that (ages 6 up).

Every member of the family had a basked with a nametag. the clothes got foldet and put in the appropriate basket or bin. NO IRONING

they maybe had 25 loads a week??? again some were half loads, some were quick loads. but this way she kept up and it worked really well.

we are a relatively small family but iy``H I think ill have a similar system ones we grow.

creditcards

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
Op I have the same issue. I’m strongly considering severely cutting back on the amount of clothing my family has, to make laundry less of a hassle. Has anyone tried this? I wonder if having the minimum amount of clothing will ease the burden? I’ll do laundry more often, but lately I have such a clothing mess, it’s making me crazy!

Yes I tried. See my post above. The closets are more organized that way too. Much easier. I wash every day. Next day we wear what was washed yesterday. So I save a lot of folding. The pile is never huge because we keep reusing the things from the last 2 days. My kids can wear the same 2 dresses a whole week.
Whenever I wash linen it goes right back on the bed so no folding linen.

creditcards

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:09 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
Maybe I am sleep deprived but how would less clothing help?! You'll be washing clothes MORE often, not less often.

For me the hard part is folding. Not throwing a load in the wash. I don't mind doing that every day and then the kids wear it right away again the next day so I don't have to fold it. It never becomes this huge pile of laundry. Also when everything is packed away in closets there is place. And the closets look neater. It doesn't become a huge puzzle to find place for everything.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:13 am
Benevolence wrote:
I keep promising myself only their favorite clothes will remain in the circuit and everything else: o u t.
Every item I give away means less to launder!!

But it also means you're doing laundry more often.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
same and going crazy! I’m organizationally challenged to begin with...

Me too.bh dh is great but he only has so much time. At least my kids have clean clothes always.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:18 am
credit cards- how old are your kids and how much clothing do you actually have for them- like if you are sick one day and can't do laundry is it a calamity?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
credit cards- how old are your kids and how much clothing do you actually have for them- like if you are sick one day and can't do laundry is it a calamity?

Even when I'm sick the only thing I make sure to do is ask my kids to collect all the laundry they see in the house and put it in the machine. Then they get to put in the detergent and turn on the machine. She really like doing that part. An hour later I spread out on beds or racks whatever needs to air dry, and put everything else in the dryer.
If I go more than 2 days without washing not everyone will have what to wear. But I always managed to find something extra from last year that was really small on them if it did happen.
(My only issue are the 9 days and chol hamoed. My Rav said I can wash if I don't have enough clothing and it's dirty.)

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jul 18 2018, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 3:22 pm
chol hamoed and the nine days was going to be my next question but you answered it. I still think I'd be nervous about something getting staining and not being able to get the stain out...

myname1

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 3:15 am
Do you really not need to pretreat stains if you wash that day? What about the next? I do laundry once a week (3 kids) and the biggest pain is spraying all the stains. I am never sure what will come out without, so I spray practically every speck! I say I'd love to do 1 load at a time instead of 3-4 together so it doesn't take all day, but I like getting it over with in 1 shot. But if washing a bit every day or 2 means no spraying necessary, I might switch. Does it really work like that??

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 3:32 am
I fold straight from the dryer while the stuff is still warm. It easier and less wrinkled that way. (I will actually put the dryer on for a short time to fluff the clothes if they are cold and creased.)

Also, time yourself folding a full load of laundry. If you aren't doing anything else at the same time, it shouldn't take more than fifteen minutes. Add another five minutes for distribution and you're done.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:07 am
creditcards wrote:
Kids are between ages 1 and 7. Even when I'm sick the only thing I make sure to do is ask my big 7 year old and my little 3 year old to collect all the laundry they see in the house and put it in the machine. Then my 7 year old gets a to put in the detergent and turn on the machine. She really like doing that part. An hour later I spread out on beds or racks whatever needs to air dry, and put everything else in the dryer.
If I go more than 2 days without washing not everyone will have what to wear. But I always managed to find something extra from last year that was really small on them if it did happen.
(My only issue are the 9 days and chol hamoed. My Rav said I can wash if I don't have enough clothing and it's dirty.)

So your kids have two outfits each?

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 1:14 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
So your kids have two outfits each?

They have more for in case of emergency. But they probably use the same 2 over again. The extra ones are usually something cheap and not so nice.
After one or 2 weeks I switch the ones they wear so shouldn't get bored.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 1:16 pm
myname1 wrote:
Do you really not need to pretreat stains if you wash that day? What about the next? I do laundry once a week (3 kids) and the biggest pain is spraying all the stains. I am never sure what will come out without, so I spray practically every speck! I say I'd love to do 1 load at a time instead of 3-4 together so it doesn't take all day, but I like getting it over with in 1 shot. But if washing a bit every day or 2 means no spraying necessary, I might switch. Does it really work like that??

Don't want to take responsibility on your stains. I usually check them when it comes out if the wash machine and if it has a stain I don't put it in the dryer. Most of the time all stains come out.

zigi

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 5:11 pm
myname1 wrote:

I treat as soon as the stain happens I throw it in to soak with detergent. it dries and then goes in the next load

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:44 pm
credit cards- I don't understand- you buy your children new clothing every two weeks or you just have someplace else you store their extra clothing and then you keep swapping? If you have extra clothing then I would think you have the same issue everyone else does during the nine days?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
there are five of us...but as a tween I worked at a laaaarge families house (think 11 children, parents and another elderly relative). the mother had amazing tricks:

she had 3 normal sized simple cheap washing mashines (she said they were cheap on sale she bought them ten years earlier and they worked fine, nothing fancy) that had the option to do quick wash or half volume wash.

she threw in about 4 loads during the afternoon/early evening, BUT not all loads were LONG or FULL volume.

she was working and wasnt at home all day. this way she could take care of all types of laundry simultanously. also they changed linnen/sheets every wednesday. this way she could wash 14 sets in one afternoon.
she made sure that when she went to bed the laundry room was empty.

so after all kids bathed and some were in bed she threw in towels and whites in one laundry mashine and darks (uniform, romplers, ...), and lights in the third.
Or whatever types of laundry she had that day.

they had two laundry mashines (not big ones simple ones) in the laundry room and a third one fit in the kitchen (which was adjacent to the laundry room).

they did not have a dryer but hanged their laundry (I dont know why), which was A LOT OF work, but every day of the week a different child did that (ages 6 up).

Every member of the family had a basked with a nametag. the clothes got foldet and put in the appropriate basket or bin. NO IRONING

they maybe had 25 loads a week??? again some were half loads, some were quick loads. but this way she kept up and it worked really well.

we are a relatively small family but iy``H I think ill have a similar system ones we grow.

She washed the linen every week when she had 11 kids, I'm impressed! Where did she have room to hang up 14 sets of linen that day?

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
credit cards- I don't understand- you buy your children new clothing every two weeks or you just have someplace else you store their extra clothing and then you keep swapping? If you have extra clothing then I would think you have the same issue everyone else does during the nine days?

In the 9 days I don't wash every day. Just when I really don't have anymore. My goal every season is 3 nice outfits per child. And I always end up having something more either from other peoples hand me downs, Ali express... that was either free or almost free that are not my first choice clothing.

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:47 pm
creditcards wrote:
They have more for in case of emergency. But they probably use the same 2 over again. The extra ones are usually something cheap and not so nice.
After one or 2 weeks I switch the ones they wear so shouldn't get bored.

Do you find that the clothing get worn out quickly because they’re washed so often ? (Or does that only happen from drying.)

creditcards

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:50 pm
cnc wrote:
Do you find that the clothing get worn out quickly because they’re washed so often ? (Or does that only happen from drying.)

They are all very nice condition by the end of the season. I wash it all on gentle and don't use hot water. (because I don't devide the colors)

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:52 pm
credit cards- do you put it in the dryer?
Are the clothing high quality clothing- may be that makes them last longer?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry