Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Just wondering
Previous  1  2

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
So basically the concensus is that teachers/ Rebbeim are "professionals" and as such don't deserve recognition but counselors are entitled to tips because they are underpaid and there for your kids 24/7 for one or two months and expect to be tipped to compensate for the fact that they either have to pay to come to camp or get paid so little.
Ok so then please remember this come September: Think twice before bothering your child's Rebbi or Teacher after hours unless it's urgent as they have families that need them for the few hours they're home. Keep in mind that your children do spend most of their waking hours with their Rebbeim and teachers. Please arrive on time to PTA meetings so as not to delay the schedule so the Teacher/Rebbi can get home at a normal hour. Please rememeber that your child is one of many other children in the class- keep that in mind when a Rebbi or teacher calls you during the year. When he or she hangs up she is making another call followed by another call...and often these calls are done a few times a year. They don't get paid enough for all they do and yes they go into the field knowing what their responsibilities are and no there really aren't too many perks when it comes to being a teacher or a Rebbi- a flexible schdule is about the only perk they get. So tell me when was the last time you got a call from a counselor in camp to give you nachas or to address a concern?

Yes, the consensus is that teachers are professionals and are salaried employees, and counselors are amateurs whose payment comes solely or mostly from the tips. Whether we agree with the setup or not, if we don't tip the counselors, they don't get their due that they signed up for. But the teachers still get their due that they signed up for, regardless of the tips.

And while I agree that teachers work hard, their complaints about their job is becoming quite irksome. No one forced the teachers into the low-paying job, they wanted it and in many cases chased after it. They knew what they were going into beforehand, and its not like the required work and pay was sprung upon them in a surprised fashion. If someone want higher wages, then perhaps a job in a different field is in order, or work towards revising the system. But as another poster mentioned, it's the law of supply and demand. As long as there are so many people DESIRING this field, and there's always a healthy list of applicants despite the low pay, what should encourage change?

And a flexible schedule speaks volume! Perhaps talk to the parents who run out early mornings and come home late on Chol Hamoeds, erev Shabbos and erev Yom Tov. Talk to the parents who have to seek babysitters on weeks pre and post day camps. Being giving the opportunity to juggle family and work without undue hardships is a major perk, not a minor one at all.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:31 am
I tip a fine waiter. That's all.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
Some people do it because there's a written request, not because of some overwhelming feeling of gratitude. Those who genuinely feel the hakaras hatov generally show the same to the teachers.

I'm a therapist and I've worked with some children for years, without so much as a thank you from the parents. I'm sure they tip/gift when requested, but that's obviously not going to be the case for a therapist. Shrug. They just don't think about it much.

Therapists get paid very well. It's not a tip type job. Of course a thank you is always relevant.

soap suds

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 5:32 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Counselors are kids. Tips are typically their whole salary.

Parents are already paying a fortune for camp. I think it would be fair for the camp to pay the counselors a decent salary and not expect the parents to make up for it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics