Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why are my posts getting less likes?
1  2  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:31 pm
I’m embarrassed to admit I care about this, but recently my posts on social media have been getting less likes. I’m posting the same kind of stuff, same frequency, my friends haven’t changed. What else could it be?

rgr

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:43 pm
The algorithm on Instagram changed. Read up on it

WastingTime

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:47 pm
Maybe your friends are looking at s.media less

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 3:00 pm
I’m talking about Facebook mostly. I’ll post a picture of my kids by the pool, and get a handful of likes, and many other friends post a similar picture and get 50 to 100 likes. And we’re talking people who post pictures of kids all the time. I just used to get more.

I know this sounds really silly but it bothers me.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
I’m talking about Facebook mostly. I’ll post a picture of my kids by the pool, and get a handful of likes, and many other friends post a similar picture and get 50 to 100 likes. And we’re talking people who post pictures of kids all the time. I just used to get more.

Stop posting. It isn’t adding any value to your life right now - and it seems to be making things worse.

Enjoy your children. Take photos for YOUR memory books.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 3:06 pm
Do you have as many followers as your friends do?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 3:13 pm
This thread makes me sad for our generation.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 3:38 pm
Yeah you’re posting too much...

But who am I to talk? My love life and family is probably not worth a thing because I don’t post pics for the world to see...

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have as many followers as your friends do?

Yup hundreds of “friends”.

Bsimcha

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:00 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
This thread makes me sad for our generation.

Don't "like' many posts here or on Facebook, but really like this!

It's so sad that this is today's reality!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:08 pm
My daughter was very down a few years ago,( she was 18) I asked her why, she said she had lost some followers on Instagram,she had a very popular page upwards of 50,000 followers.
We had a lot of talks about it and BH, she realized it's superficial.
SHe's in a great place today and although she still posts on social media, doesn't really care about likes, followers or comments.

I personally really dislike people posting pictures of their kids, for many reasons.
If Parents do something fun, it should only be about them and their kids.
In a few years, when kids look at pictures, they won't care if parents had likes, they'll care about the fun, memories and love they got. And the ones who like and follow don't really care about what you did!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:10 pm
There is such a thing as paying for likes.
Not saying that’s what is going on here but when you see huge numbers it’s possible the person paid for it.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 3:03 am
amother wrote:
There is such a thing as paying for likes.
Not saying that’s what is going on here but when you see huge numbers it’s possible the person paid for it.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I don’t have Facebook or Instagram. Ima mother is enough of an addiction for me. But the above statement is really really sad.

salt

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 3:23 am
I really don't think it means that people don't like you - I mean really like you.

Social media = depression and low self-esteem.
Go out and help someone needy - visit an old lady, visit a soup kitchen, visit a home for kids from broken homes.
Don't take photos, and don't post them on FB.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:19 am
amother wrote:

It's possible some of your "friends" unfollowed you. This can happen when someone posts too many advertising type or spammy posts; when someone posts their political views that their "friends" find offensive; or simply when someone is overposting and people are tired of seeing that person monopolize their feed.

You should watch the Black Mirror episode called "Nosedive".

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 6:31 am
amother wrote:
I’m posting the same kind of stuff

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 7:17 am
I stop following people who post pictures every day, especially if they are on a diet and post all about it.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 7:58 am
The “paying for likes” is usually about promoting businesses, not boosting self-confidence. Not that it’s any less sketchy, but it’s more in line with professional and even medical providers who pay for positive reviews.

I hear you about the likes thing. I sometimes get a little focused on it, but that’s usually only if I post something I think is really cool and people don’t really seem to notice.

But...

I have long considered “likes” to be the “lazy man’s comment.” A thousand likes with no comments bothers me more, actually.

That said, I generally post because I want certain people to see, or just for fun. I’m not the most active poster and I don’t post anything too revealing about my life. My online persona doesn’t say too much, so I don’t take it all that personally when the majority of my Facebook friends don’t care. After all, how often am I involved in THEIR posts either?

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 7:59 am
PS. I gave you a like on your post here! ;-)

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:06 am
I've said this before IRL and in imamother - facebook serves different purposes for different people (just like imamother). Some people use FB to share with family and friends, and to see what their family/friends are up to (that's what I use it for). Some people use it as their record book (its handy for that as well). Others use it as their personal soap box - how often do we get the opportunity to shout out what is important to us? Political, informational, inspirational, food... And others use it for other reasons not listed here. All are ok. We all use it to fill some kind of void, and I think that's just fine.

So OP, it looks to me like you are using FB to validate your life. Many people do that! No judgement passed by me. The "likes" mean, to you, that what you posted got someone's attention. I understand this, when someone posts their beach pictures, I'll "like" it so they know that I notice them and care what they are doing. Not because I actually LIKE the picture - I LIKE to see what they are up to.

My personal FB is for real friends or people who I would like to become friends with. So when someone in my community friends me, I'll usually accept. If they dont interact with me in some way on FB or IRL, I typically unfriend after a few months because my FB isnt for tons of people to see what I'm up to, its for connections. So when I smile and say hi to someone at the store who has friended me recently, its because I want to extend real friendship. Thats how I use FB. I moderate a number of FB groups, and when I have to add people to the group who I'm not friends with, I friend, add, then unfriend. And when my friends start to use their fb for ONLY political stuff, or ONLY business related stuff, or ONLY "Save the Pit Bull" related stuff, I unfollow and sometimes hide. I have a friend (a real life friend) who is also a popular sheitel macher. I wish she'd open a separate fb page for her store (I've suggested it many times). She mainly posts for her store and almost never personal. So I hid her because its annoying. She posts ALL DAY and it takes over my feed. So I unfollowed her and now I miss the beach pics, when they come.

I understand liking the "likes". When a high school friend from a life time ago "likes" my picture, it means to me that they are saying hi and keeping a connection. So when my mother died and I got messages from people with "I know we arent in touch but I follow you on fb and love seeing your family", it is very meaningful to me. And I dont care what others think this means for our generation (the poster who said that and the 40 who liked it). For me, it means that I moved out of state many years ago and without fb, I would lose touch with them. No, we weren't close enough to keep in touch via phone or email. I became frum and most didn't. We are in different planets now and without FB, would be in different galaxies.

OP, I GET YOU. I UNDERSTAND YOU.

So the question is, why are the number of likes that your friends get important to you? What void are you using FB to fill? What would happen if you did a friend dump and got rid of the people who you ignore and who ignore you?

A thought, you said that you have hundreds of fb friends. I wonder how many of them you actually know? How many are random ladies who run businesses who like to friend as many people as possible to gain a following so they can see their posts?

FWIW, I've never heard of people "buying" likes, other than maybe a business who is attempting to gain followers for a giveaway or something. If users are like me, they'll "like" and "follow" until the contest is over, and then unlike and unfollow when I dont win.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics