Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Boris's resignation and Brexit
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:24 pm
Does no one else care about this?

I'm hoping this means the end of Brexit but who knows?

But if Corbyn gets in that is not good news either.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:50 pm
There are rockets being fired in Sderot and apparently that's all we're allowed to care about anymore.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:

Well, May certain seems to want a "soft Brexit," which hardly seems like Brexit at all. Which would be fine by me. But if there is still support for a hard Brexit, it will challenge her administration.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:20 pm
I dont see Brexit happening with a empty Parliment?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
There are rockets being fired in Sderot and apparently that's all we're allowed to care about anymore.

Well I dont think Corbyn will help with that...

Honestly I am not surprised at this whole fiasco. Its an impossible situation the UK has tied themselves up in. A hard Brexit could result in an resurgence of violence in Northern Ireland. Which nobody wants. And the hardliners dont want a soft brexit. So its impossible to come to a deal everyone is happy with.

I wonder if Mrs May will be the next resignation?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 1:47 am
FTR, the UK didn't have much choice.

David Cameron fought hard for its rights in the EU and got absolutely nowhere. I heard an EU official from a different country on the radio, saying how sorry he felt for DC because the EU were being so difficult. (I thought it was decent of said official to be so honest).

DC promised a referendum on Brexit if he was voted in again. Therefore he had to follow through.

Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place...

moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:29 am
amother wrote:

I don't understand your snide attitude (or why your comment got any likes). I live in Israel and I can assure you that most Israelis care deeply about what's going on in the rest of the world (and we don't expect the world to care ONLY about us). In fact, the Thai boys trapped in the flooded cave have been on my mind lately more than the rockets fired at Israel. I really don't appreciate your attitude, AMOTHER.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:44 am
amother wrote:

Why do you assume no one else cares about this?

Why are you hoping this is the end of Brexit?

Why do you only mention Boris? What about David Davis who was actually in charge of Brexit unlike Boris who was Foreign Secretary?

Are you aware of the reasons they resigned? About the cabinet meeting in chequers where Teresa May got them to agree to something that the majority of people that voted Brexit would not agree with. Have you read the resignation letters?

Did you listen to Mays speech in the commons yesterday where she outlined the details of said meeting in chequers?

Had I been in their position I too would possibly have resigned. They'd been pushing for a Brexit the people had voted for and all they got was May bowing to Brussels before negotiations even started. A "Remainer" Brexit if you will.

Yes as you can probably tell, I voted for Brexit. I am fed up of our country being governed by a group of unelected old men in Brussels. Of course I didnt vote to see immediate change. It should be a good stable change thats seen in 20 - 30 years time. With the right foresight and leadership it should be negotiated for the benefit of both the British people and the rest of the world. But at the moment there is no leverage if we come to the table saying we will do as you wish Brussels.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:02 am
We don't expect the news to cover Sderot. We do daven 2/3 x a day and think of E"Y.

That said, I'm surprised I hadn't heard news of the resignation. I can fully understand how someone who lives in a country is very caught up in that country's news.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:19 am
PinkFridge wrote:
We don't expect the news to cover Sderot. We do daven 2/3 x a day and think of E"Y.

That said, I'm surprised I hadn't heard news of the resignation. I can fully understand how someone who lives in a country is very caught up in that country's news.

I don't live in the UK but both me and dh are british. We do live in the EU so I guess it was big news all over Europe. (although the Thai cave rescue possibly was higher up the headlines) My husband texted me with the news.

Papaya, I think breaking up the EU is a bad idea. Of course, it is a flawed system, (as is every other government in the world) but overall the EU is good for peace and stability. No European wars since it began is pretty good. I know frum people in the UK are anti Brexit for a few other reasons too but I am not too worried about that. I actually think Brexit will have a negative impact on things like kosher meat prices in the UK in the short term, obviously depending on what type of deal gets made. (Do you even know how much EU meat is sold in UK kosher butchers?? Check your beef labels next time you buy)

I liked the sound of the deal that was worked out in Chequers. But who knows if that will go through now?

It wasn't just David Davis who resigned - a whole bunch of other people did too.

On a completely selfish note, I will lose my EU citizenship in a year and can't really afford to pay for the citizenship process in my country of residence.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
I don't live in the UK but both me and dh are british. We do live in the EU so I guess it was big news all over Europe. (although the Thai cave rescue possibly was higher up the headlines) My husband texted me with the news.

Papaya, I think breaking up the EU is a bad idea.

Seeing that you currently live in mainland Europe, your opinion is biased though.
Jews in Europe are very worried about Brexit, since that leaves them in the hands of the EU officials, and the ever increasing rise of anti-semitism, without UK Jewry there to join forces with when needed.

That doesn't mean Brexit isn't more beneficial for those actually residing in the UK though.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:16 am
moonstone wrote:
I don't understand your snide attitude (or why your comment got any likes). I live in Israel and I can assure you that most Israelis care deeply about what's going on in the rest of the world (and we don't expect the world to care ONLY about us). In fact, the Thai boys trapped in the flooded cave have been on my mind lately more than the rockets fired at Israel. I really don't appreciate your attitude, AMOTHER.

Americans living in America were told by Imamother they are not good Jews for caring about events going on in America. And that thread got a lot of likes too. So lesson learned. Caring about current events that don't directly impact Israel means you're not a good Jew.

But I'm glad the Thai boys got out safely. Baruch Hashem!

etky

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:23 am
moonstone wrote:

Agreed. That was an unnecessary remark.
The entire country had been wrapped up in the Thai cave drama for days - despite the ongoing devastation of the fire terrorism down south and the spate of earthquakes up north.

moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
Americans living in America were told by Imamother they are not good Jews for caring about events going on in America. And that thread got a lot of likes too. So lesson learned. Caring about current events that don't directly impact Israel means you're not a good Jew.

But I'm glad the Thai boys got out safely. Baruch Hashem!

That is complete bull****, AMOTHER. I remember that thread, and that wasn't what was said. Surely you know that, but you're obviously having a boring day and decided to stir the pot. Hope it was satisfying, AMOTHER.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:14 am
moonstone wrote:
That is complete bull****, AMOTHER. I remember that thread, and that wasn't what was said. Surely you know that, but you're obviously having a boring day and decided to stir the pot. Hope it was satisfying, AMOTHER.

I remember the thread, and that was exactly what was said.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
SNIP
Yes as you can probably tell, I voted for Brexit. I am fed up of our country being governed by a group of unelected old men in Brussels. Of course I didnt vote to see immediate change. It should be a good stable change thats seen in 20 - 30 years time. With the right foresight and leadership it should be negotiated for the benefit of both the British people and the rest of the world. But at the moment there is no leverage if we come to the table saying we will do as you wish Brussels.

I'm in the US, and was opposed to Brexit. Just FTR.

But you can't have a "good stable change that's seen in 20-30 years time." The UK's membership in the EU lapses on March 29, 2019, less then a year from now. I suppose that the soft exit May proposes does prolong the transition. But a hard exit means the UK is out there in less than a year. Can it be ready?

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:27 am
People seem to be unaware that the same people who engineered the Brexit campaign also engineered Donald Trump's victory. Now let's think. Who really benefits from the breakup of the EU and NATO?

Hint, hint. Which country is big and bad and would just love to have more power in Europe (which EU/NATO has been holding in check)?

But people still think that a victory for Vladimir Putin is a win for Jews.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:59 am
Jeanette wrote:
People seem to be unaware that the same people who engineered the Brexit campaign also engineered Donald Trump's victory.

While Trump's tariffs on aluminum have resulted in modest increases in U.S. jobs and trade equity, they've had one unfortunate consequence: they've apparently made it more difficult to provide aluminum foil hats to those in need. Perhaps the WH should revisit this policy.

anon for this

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:19 pm
Fox wrote:
While Trump's tariffs on aluminum have resulted in modest increases in U.S. jobs and trade equity, they've had one unfortunate consequence: they've apparently made it more difficult to provide aluminum foil hats to those in need. Perhaps the WH should revisit this policy.

It's always fun to call information you disagree with "fake news" (or as many of Trump's fine supporters like to call it, "lugenpresse"). It turns out, though, that Arron Banks, the head of the largest pro-Brexit campaign, met with Russian officials about a dozen times before the Brexit vote and then lied about it to Parliament. Not to mention the sweetheart gold mine deals he got from the Kremlin.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:25 pm
Fox wrote:

I'll be glad to send you some if you need it for your hat. I'll even include paper clips so you can ground the hat.

There is, of course, already an investigation into Russian interference into Brexit. And members of the Leave EU campaign were meeting with Russians many times -- contrary to what they've previously claimed. The Russian embassy may have even extended four invitations to Brexit’s biggest funder, but it is not known if they were accepted.

Then again, I'm not singing kumbaya at Trump's tariffs. They're going to hurt us, in trade and in the world.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics