Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Cost of Paper

Optione

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 5:32 pm
Hi!
What do you pay on average for a ream of paper? (US)
What is considered a "stock up" bargain price?

Thanks!

chatz

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 5:48 pm
I usually buy by the case (10 reams). The office supply stores have sales regularly (office depot, quill, etc). I can usually get for $30 a case ($3 per ream) with free shipping.

(Haven't needed to buy in about a year.)

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 5:57 pm
Now here's a conundrum and I ought to know how to do it but I'm tired: which is the better deal (now available at Staples):
Buy one get one 50% off (which seems to mean you get 25% off two)
Buy two get one free (which sounds like you get 1/3 off).
Right?

Optione

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:05 pm
penguin wrote:
Now here's a conundrum and I ought to know how to do it but I'm tired: which is the better deal (now available at Staples):
Right?

Yes. The second option gives you 33% off each item, but you'll end up with a bigger receipt since you're getting 3 cases, not two.

shyshira

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:07 pm
penguin wrote:
Right?

The second is a better deal *only* if you need three. It’s rarely a good deal when you spend money on something you don’t need.

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:09 pm
Well, you always need paper...

lucky14

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:14 pm
Wait for staples to have their paper deal where you get a pack for one cent after rebate. That's where we get all of ours. You pay for the paper, do a rebate and then a month or so later you get a visa card in the mail for the amount you paid minus one cent. Just make sure to use the visa card quickly because it does have an expiration date (I just use it for grocery shopping the week it comes in the mail Smile)

Optione

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:21 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Wait for staples to have their paper deal where you get a pack for one cent after rebate. That's where we get all of ours. You pay for the paper, do a rebate and then a month or so later you get a visa card in the mail for the amount you paid minus one cent. Just make sure to use the visa card quickly because it does have an expiration date (I just use it for grocery shopping the week it comes in the mail Smile)

Good to know! Thanks! I wonder what their limit is...

Optione

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:22 pm
chatz wrote:
I usually buy by the case (10 reams). The office supply stores have sales regularly (office depot, quill, etc). I can usually get for $30 a case ($3 per ream) with free shipping.

(Haven't needed to buy in about a year.)

I noticed that by the case is cheaper. I'll keep an eye out for that range. Thanks!

lucky14

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:03 pm
Optione wrote:
Good to know! Thanks! I wonder what their limit is...

If I remember correctly the limit is usually 4. I think they have the offer a few times a year. If I remember I'll post it here next time it happens.

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:09 pm
Unfortunately Staples seems to have stopped offering items for rebate earlier this year. But if you sign up for Staples rewards they will send you random $5 rewards once every several weeks, and you can use those to get paper.

Optione

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:35 pm
lucky14 wrote:
If I remember correctly the limit is usually 4. I think they have the offer a few times a year. If I remember I'll post it here next time it happens.

Thank you! I appreciate that!

Optione

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:36 pm
anon for this wrote:
Unfortunately Staples seems to have stopped offering items for rebate earlier this year. But if you sign up for Staples rewards they will send you random $5 rewards once every several weeks, and you can use those to get paper.

Hmmmm
Does the $5 rewards have a minimum purchase?

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:44 pm
Optione wrote:
Hmmmm
Does the $5 rewards have a minimum purchase?

$5 or more. A couple of weeks ago I got a coupon for $10 off $20 in school supplies, so that had a minimum.

Some people earn lots of rewards by recycling ink cartridges too, but I'm not sure how that works.

Optione

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 6:51 pm
Looks like I should become a staples reward member...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains