Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
SKA and Bruriah high schools
Previous  1  2

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
I'm confused. Are you suggesting that not speaking LH, doing more chessed, and davening with kavana are not MO values? My daughter's MO school strongly encourages all of the above.

I'm sure! That's why I said "it depends what you consider MO." Some people would only consider a person/institution MO if they are working to change halacha to conform with modern values (these are the people, such as Rabbi Cardozo, who called the Rav "haredi" https://cross-currents.com/201.....dozo/).

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:58 am
saw50st8 wrote:
The school is based on the rulings of Rabbi Teitz who is definitely a MO Rabbi. They follow the Torah U'Madah philosophy and are basically a feeder school to YU-Stern. It is definitely a RWMO school compared to Maayanot.

I graduated in 2000 but my cousins graduated in the last few years and some of my friends send their kids there now.

Thanks for explaining.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
I was there when Mrs Newman was still there. Since I was in HH, all the BY girls were in my class, so my experience was more BY-y. Also all of the LK teachers were from Passaic and Lakewood.

Did Mrs stern pass away? Also, never heard of Teaneck or even Elizabeth NJ being considered OOT. These days there are a lot less Teaneck girls at bruriah I thought.

Mrs. Stern BH is running a new high school in Passaic called Machon Ora which is a bais Yaakov HS but toward the more open minded.

Bruriah and SKA are both modern orthodox high schools (as in the majority of students are modern orthodox, coming from modern orthodox homes), each with a nice amount of non modern orthodox (more yeshivish) teachers and both do have teachers who try to get girls to "frum out". ( In this way I think it is different than Maayanot which is much more beshita modern orthodox, more modern and left leaning, and is not trying to change the girls hashkafa to the right).

WastingTime

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:07 pm
I went to (JEC and) Bruriah abt 20 yrs ago. Girls were MO but the entire spectrum of it , some even a bit more right wing and a few that the faimiles weren't really shomer Shabbos.
I loved the school because there were great girls and no feeling of snobby, clicky etc (at least my experience)
The limudei kodesh teachers were almost exclusively yeshivish. I understood Mrs. Stern opened her own more to the right version of the school since. Bruriah is a solid school that sets girls up to continue in life in many directions

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
Mrs. Stern BH is running a new high school in Passaic called Machon Ora which is a bais Yaakov HS but toward the more open minded.

Bruriah and SKA are both modern orthodox high schools (as in the majority of students are modern orthodox, coming from modern orthodox homes), each with a nice amount of non modern orthodox (more yeshivish) teachers and both do have teachers who try to get girls to "frum out". ( In this way I think it is different than Maayanot which is much more beshita modern orthodox, more modern and left leaning, and is not trying to change the girls hashkafa to the right).

Mrs Stern is no longer with Machon Ora (effective upcoming school year)

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 2:17 pm
I went to Bruriah ~15-20 years ago. SKA was much more jappy than Bruriah, though I found Bruriah somewhat jappy as well (if this is what someone meant by 'out of town' earlier and was trying to be nice about it). Both were good academically, though my impression was that SKA was a little better in secular subjects (possibly courtesy of the NY regents, which don't exist in Bruriah because it is in NJ, another consideration for yo upossibly), and Bruriah was a little better in limudei kodesh. Back then, Bruriah was definitely more RW than SKA, though Bruriah was also more RW back then than it is today. I think Bruriah was also bigger back then, not sure how it stacks up now. I had a mixed experience at Bruriah, I don't really think it was for me, but it is great for the right girl (and in my opinion, Rabbi Oratz is much better than Mrs. Newman, but he didn't become prinicpal until long after I left, so I can't speak from first hand experience on that).

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 5:19 pm
My daughter graduated Bruriah 2 years ago and she said that SKA is much more modern and the secular studies is much better than Bruriah.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 9:13 pm
Why is Mrs Stern leaving Machon Ora?

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
Why is Mrs Stern leaving Machon Ora?

I heard she was “eased out”

susanstohelit

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:52 pm
1091 wrote:
Mrs Stern is no longer with Machon Ora (effective upcoming school year)

Wow, really? What happened?

My sister's friend went there from 9-12 (first graduating class) and she loved it! I know it's been exploding in popularity for all the years it's been open.

Is there a new principal?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 1:03 pm
Does anyone have further info on Machon Ora? Do you know why Mrs. Stern left? We are thinking of it as an option,heard great things about the school.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 1:05 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Bruriah is MO. Mrs Newman and Mrs Stern really tried shifting it to the right, but were never truly successful. It's definitely RWMO.

I went to Bruriah. It’s not really MO. It’s centrist I guess. Mayanot is RWMO.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone have further info on Machon Ora? Do you know why Mrs. Stern left? We are thinking of it as an option,heard great things about the school.

It’s an incredible school. High academic level, warm, growth oriented, down to earth, high level teachers. They really care about each girl as an individual.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:32 am
There are a number of girls who go there whose skirts cannot find the tops of their knees, let alone cover them. Many don't completely cover them or have to constantly yank them down to do so. And this is in the school building; outside of it, they dress how ever they want.
What bugs me is that not enough is done to uphold the dress code. Does this stop me from sending my daughter (an older daughter graduated and, I, too, am an alumna)? No, because there are enough girls that do care about tznius and dress appropriately.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics