Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How Much Per Hour/Salary?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:01 pm
What is the going rate for Admin Assistant who doesn't just take calls and twiddle their thumbs all day? More the position of someone who works within all departments.
36-40hr work week.

At some interviews, employers were surprised by my request of $60-65k and were offering $40,000 range. I have plenty of experience up my sleeve and thought that was a bit low

**Brooklyn**

simba

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:03 pm
That's not really a clear position. What does that look like HR? Operations?
High level secretary?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:16 pm
What were you paid at your last job?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:41 pm
I think 60-65k is about right for a high level experienced executive assistant at a major company in the NYC suburbs. Don't know about Brooklyn. Lower level but very busy admin assistants in my company (health care industry) earn considerably less, probably less than 40.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:42 pm
The problem with these kind of jobs are that you usually grow with the company. You have to start low and then as you prove your value to the company you get raises. I’m sure there are many admin assistants getting 60 65 but they all started lower and built up.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 4:20 am
I was looking into higher level administrative jobs in different fields. BH I found one that met my needs. I was just amazed to see how employers were generally surprised at the requested amount.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:13 am
You were asking for about $30 an hour. That kind of salary usually has a masters, at least a BA attached to it. Do you have either? If not, I can see $20. An hour (40 k a year) being a number they were shooting for.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
I was looking into higher level administrative jobs in different fields. BH I found one that met my needs. I was just amazed to see how employers were generally surprised at the requested amount.

well then your understanding of what the market rate is faulty.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:
What is the going rate for Admin Assistant who doesn't just take calls and twiddle their thumbs all day? More the position of someone who works within all departments.
36-40hr work week.

At some interviews, employers were surprised by my request of $60-65k and were offering $40,000 range. I have plenty of experience up my sleeve and thought that was a bit low

**Brooklyn**

If your coming with experience, I think your a bit on the high side to start, but not by much. 40k is definitely too little.
As you said, it's not a job where you twiddle your thumbs. People like to go cheap, those are not the people to want to work for.

How many years experience do you have?

(Fyi- I'm in a similar field)

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
well then your understanding of what the market rate is faulty.

Not at all.
Prospective Employers trying to be cheap and below the market rate is what's faulty.
They are just trying to get away with less, they want the experience and skills without paying for it (speaking from experience)

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:14 am
BH I found something. I have been working for 7 yrs. 3 of those years in a related field. Plenty of knowledge in regards to this area and very capable of getting a lot accomplished very efficiently.

I have come across employers who considered the amount and offered me different positions than they felt was befitting for the amount requested. That was ok.

I just found it odd how so many employers saw the potential and offered such a low rate. It more professional in my mind to say that one is over qualified for the opening etc.

Reminds me of the day someone had me come all the way to meet him especially before work hours only to tell me he needs me to manage all his office work as one sole worker and to make sure everything is secure etc. (Diamond business) He was offering me $14/hr and asked me for rov # as reference since he needed someone honest. lol

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:22 am
I can imagine in a frum company, whether you are male or female is very relevant.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:44 am
Raisin wrote:
I can imagine in a frum company, whether you are male or female is very relevant.

Meaning how much they pay each? Totally illegal in the USA.
But asking for 65,000 is overpricing yourself for not having a BA, let alone an MA. This is because individuals in these positions usually grow with the company, start at like 40,000 and work their way up. Oh, and if you are asking for 65,000 now, will you want a raise in 2 years? They can understandably be hesitant to get into a position where the professionals you are assisting are not making a "high enough salary when compared to the secretary" and want raises as well.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Not at all.
Prospective Employers trying to be cheap and below the market rate is what's faulty.
They are just trying to get away with less, they want the experience and skills without paying for it (speaking from experience)

If they are 'generally surprised' that doesn't indicate they are cheap it indicates either:

1) they know the market and are surprised that someone would ask for above market rate.
2) they don't know the market.

The employer has an idea in mind of what they are going to pay you, before you walk into the room. They will only pay more than that amount if they realize when they talk to you that you will bring more value than another candidate - translate that for and admin assistant to mean - the professional staff are even more 'freed up' to do higher value added work.

ROFL

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 6:59 pm
sorry. Admin in my work start at 30,000 a year and go up to 50,000 for those there for many years.
If you are working for a for profit like lawyers or financial companies you may make more. But the expectations would be more than 40 hours of work sinc etou would have to stay extra hours to accomadte the professional at work

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 2:38 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Meaning how much they pay each? Totally illegal in the USA.
But asking for 65,000 is overpricing yourself for not having a BA, let alone an MA. This is because individuals in these positions usually grow with the company, start at like 40,000 and work their way up. Oh, and if you are asking for 65,000 now, will you want a raise in 2 years? They can understandably be hesitant to get into a position where the professionals you are assisting are not making a "high enough salary when compared to the secretary" and want raises as well.

Lots of job require a BA or the equivalent.. which means they will consider any job-related experience that will provide the candidate the necessary knowledge, skill, and abilities to be able to perform the functions of the advertised position proficiently, whether from an informal background or through a formal avenue, to perform the functions of a job successfully.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
If they are 'generally surprised' that doesn't indicate they are cheap it indicates either:

1) they know the market and are surprised that someone would ask for above market rate.
2) they don't know the market.

The employer has an idea in mind of what they are going to pay you, before you walk into the room. They will only pay more than that amount if they realize when they talk to you that you will bring more value than another candidate - translate that for and admin assistant to mean - the professional staff are even more 'freed up' to do higher value added work.

I suppose it depends on how you define "market".
My experience interviewing was that they wanted experience and all the perks that came with, they just didn't want to pay for it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
I suppose it depends on how you define "market".
My experience interviewing was that they wanted experience and all the perks that came with, they just didn't want to pay for it.

An inexperienced person they would probably pay minimum wage.

Market means what their competitors are paying for equivalently qualified person, for equivalent position.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
36-40hr work week.

**Brooklyn**

That sounds more like an office manager to me than just an assistant. Maybe you should be applying to different positions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics