Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How often do you get prepared food?
Previous  1  2

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:27 am
I take out for lunch more often than I should. On average once a week. But not expensive stuff usually, a sandwich or Sushi that's half price in the morning, sometimes I buy a yogurts and pastry or cut up fruit. I try to take leftovers from the previous nights dinner for lunch the next day. I don't have a way to heat anything up but I will eat pretty much anything cold. Or a peanut butter sandwich.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:21 am
Breakfast: Boys go if do Shneim mikra at the end of each sefer with DH.
Lunch: DH and I go out some legal holidays.
Supper: DH and I go out our anniversary and maybe 1 -2 date nights a year. I buy my kids pizza maybe 5 times a year (considering its 12.00 a pie here its not crazy). Eruv Pesach my MIL treats us to an inexpensive supper.

DH will pick up a bagel sandwich every so often like 1 - 2 times a month.
We rarely buy coffee (so cheap and yummy to make at home)

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:36 am
I find that non Jews do buy more often. I think its because of the availability of cheap options.
For all those buying coffee, I used to be a chronic latte buyer (not every day but too often).
I got myself a nespresso machine. Once you get the hang of how to make it, it takes a minute. You can put it in a contigo bottle and it stays warm very long.
Best purchase ever. $5-7 for a bought latte adds up really quick!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:37 am
DH and I each buy lunch most days, usually soup or a salad.

We do takeout for dinner once a week.

We both work long hours, and I don't really enjoy messing around in the kitchen.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:39 pm
Almost never. Too expensive, and not worth it for me. Once in a while if either as a family, or on an individual basis we need to eat in a non kosher environment, but other than that, it is home cooking.

nursemomma

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:43 pm
Breakfast always at home.
Dh buys lunch every day- but usually it's just a cheap bagel/sandwich. I used to prepare for him, but work full time and I found it very stressful being that I need to be out pretty early.
For myself, I buy lunch about once a week- because I eat healthier food, it comes out more $.
Dinner only a couple of times a year, when something comes up that I can't cook.

moonstone

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 1:37 pm
I bring breakfast and lunch to work most days, but sometimes I'll buy one or the other. We order pizza for dinner a few times a month, and go out to eat as a family every so often. And once in a while, when I get burned out on cooking, I buy prepared food for shabbat.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:27 pm
Approximately...never. There are no kosher eateries near my workplace but even when I know I will be in a place teeming with them, I bring my own lunch. At times I’ve considered buying a kugel for Shabbos but I just can’t see spending six bucks on six portions. If I’m gonna spend my hard earned shekels on someone else’s cooking, it’s darned well gonna be the full treat of a day or evening out with someone else also serving and cleaning up. And it’s gonna be something I wouldn’t make myself. A salad? Surely you jest.

Oh, ok, I do buy packaged baked goods, prepared orange juice and canned mushrooms. I don’t believe that’s what you meant when you referred to “prepared foods” though.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 7:54 pm
zaq wrote:
Approximately...never. There are no kosher eateries near my workplace but even when I know I will be in a place teeming with them, I bring my own lunch. At times I’ve considered buying a kugel for Shabbos but I just can’t see spending six bucks on six portions. If I’m gonna spend my hard earned shekels on someone else’s cooking, it’s darned well gonna be the full treat of a day or evening out with someone else also serving and cleaning up. And it’s gonna be something I wouldn’t make myself. A salad? Surely you jest.

Oh, ok, I do buy packaged baked goods, prepared orange juice and canned mushrooms. I don’t believe that’s what you meant when you referred to “prepared foods” though.

I always assumed you lived in the States Wink

trixx

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
I always assumed you lived in the States Wink

Ha that was also my immediate reaction

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:18 pm
I thought the use of the word "shekels" by zaq was a flight of literary fancy-not actual nis. I also have always felt zaq lives in the US. Can't say why, though maybe for the tiny hope that I would find out that she actually lives in my town!

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:22 pm
I buy myself a sandwich 2 to three times a month.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
I thought the use of the word "shekels" by zaq was a flight of literary fancy-not actual nis. I also have always felt zaq lives in the US. Can't say why, though maybe for the tiny hope that I would find out that she actually lives in my town!

She said she doesn't want to spend 6 bucks on a kugel... I think 'flight of literary fancy' in on point here.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:51 pm
Oh my dears, my dears, you must get out more. Like to a library. Or stay in and read a thesaurus or two. “Shekels” is slang for moolah. Filthy lucre. Bread. Dough. Lettuce. Do-re-mi. IOW, money.

InnerMe

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:53 am
trixx wrote:
Ha that was also my immediate reaction

I'm laughing cuz that was my reaction as well!

And zaq, I haven't seen shekels used as slang for money, but far be it for me to question your literary genius Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics