Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Know of any clever women who make money with no degrees?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:40 pm
I sell on Amazon. Business started small and we built it up over the course of a few years. We now have close to 10 employees working for us.
To be honest, I have no degree but have worked intensely hard at many stages in the business's growth. My husband and I killed ourselves to get here. Its hard, but very doable.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:04 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Okay, I'll bite:

I have a BA in Humanities (which I paid for with my babysitting money and got when I was 19 since my family is too yeshivish to believe in the usefulness of a college degree); however, it never did a thing for me. I'm still glad I have it, in case I ever decide to go back to school.

I'd classify myself as clever, and I do make money as a photographer; yet not quite 6 figures in profit. (Gross is close, but there are a lot of expenses in my business.)

My pricing is considered average/high; you can see it at Chaya Braun Photography catalog

And here I am, wanting some niceties in life that I can't justify purchasing, and wondering: Should I raise my pricing? Or should I pursue another endeavor?

Those of you who earn six figures in your own business, would you please PM me, and I'll give you a discounted photo shoot or pay you to chat for an hour? I always want to learn about new options!

(A BA from a good school does something for the person to earns it - doesn't necessarily translate into a financial advantage).

For your business - could you take on more clients if you found someone you like to edit your images to your standards?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:10 pm
I guess we all know that a person can have a degree and not earn that much while someone without a degree can become a millionaire...
It seems that OP wants to know how to become a millionaire and she doesn’t have a degree.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
I sell on Amazon. Business started small and we built it up over the course of a few years. We now have close to 10 employees working for us.
To be honest, I have no degree but have worked intensely hard at many stages in the business's growth. My husband and I killed ourselves to get here. Its hard, but very doable.

That is why I had to give up my online business... I couldn’t compete with amazon prices. I’m happy for you... amazon is the way to go!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:15 pm
I recently spoke to a lady who does lice checking. She says she makes very good money and works as much or as little as works for her.

It probably depends where you live and how many others provide this service.

I'm sure there are many ideas you may not yet have considered.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:54 pm
Wow and I thought that 60-70k as an employee without a degree was decent :0

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 9:54 pm
Wow and I thought that 60-70k as an employee without a degree was decent :0

mazeltov

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 8:41 am
Barbara Corcoran.

http://www.barbaracorcoran.com/books/

"Shark Tales
How I Turned $1,000 into a Billion Dollar Business
The inspiring true story of Shark Tank star Barbara Corcoran--and her best advice for anyone starting a business.

After failing at twenty-two jobs, Barbara Corcoran borrowed $1,000 from a boyfriend, quit her job as a diner waitress, and started a tiny real estate office in New York City. Using the unconventional lessons she learned from her homemaker mom, she gradually built it into a $6 billion dollar business.

Now Barbara's even more famous for the no-nonsense wisdom she offers to entrepreneurs on Shark Tank, ABC's hit reality TV show.

Shark Tales is down-to-earth, frank, and as heartwarming as it is smart. After reading it don't be surprised if you find yourself thinking, "If she can do it, so can I." Nothing would make Barbara happier."

(Although she does have a degree in education, she built up a business in a completely different field and is a billionaire)

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
That is why I had to give up my online business... I couldn’t compete with amazon prices. I’m happy for you... amazon is the way to go!

Until it isn't...
I've heard too much.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
Until it isn't...
I've heard too much.

Me too. Not everyone does well. Parnassah comes from hashem.

byisrael

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:03 am
Real estate agents

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:10 am
I make money as a freelance writer and it's good money to supplement but nowhere near enough to support a family.

I do it on top of a full time job that I have a degree for. I used to only do freelancing but went back to school because it wasn't enough.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
(A BA from a good school does something for the person to earns it - doesn't necessarily translate into a financial advantage).

For your business - could you take on more clients if you found someone you like to edit your images to your standards?

My BA has never done anything for me as of yet.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I do have an editor; however I still spend time on my images to have them meet my vision after I get them back from her. I think I could only take on more clients if I'd drop more hours of being a mother and wife, which doesn't seem to be a great idea currently!

MazelTov- I like Barbara, and I just ordered that book, thanks for the recommendation!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 10:10 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
My BA has never done anything for me as of yet.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I do have an editor; however I still spend time on my images to have them meet my vision after I get them back from her. I think I could only take on more clients if I'd drop more hours of being a mother and wife, which doesn't seem to be a great idea currently!

MazelTov- I like Barbara, and I just ordered that book, thanks for the recommendation!

I think its great that you have a job that combines work life balance. An obvious solution for you to hire a housekeeper/babysitter so you can spend more time working, but then of course you have less time with your kids.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:17 pm
I'm an interpreter. I don't make 6 figures but could if I worked more hours. I work very part time right now because my kids are young.

I speak 5 languages so this was an easy field for me to get into, but the real money is in ASL, which I learned on my own from videos online and going to Deaf events in my area. It's fun and fascinating and I can work as much or as little as I want.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:32 am
rainbow wrote:
Where's the WOW! Jaws Dropping! button?

Why the need for that? How about a 'fargin' button?

I'm in this industry and will tell you that there are very few women that earn that amount. It's the top 1%. It comes with lots of sweat and very, very hard work, along with heavy doses of siyata dishmaya. And no, they do not earn that in the first few years in the industry; only after they've made a name for themselves and have a steady stream of clients and referrals.

Six digit income is very doable, however for the rest of the 99%, even for part time working moms.

It's also more than 'just a license'. There are continuing education requirements and ever changing laws and guidelines that one has to remain on top of (in addition to the actual work).

israeli83

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
I am a weight loss coach with no formal training. I love nutrition, love working with ppl. It started slowly but really took off once ppl starting losing weight and feeling good about themselves. I don’t advertise, weight loss results speak for themselves and my business is all word of mouth. I have almost no overhead, and have a pretty full schedule. I love what I do.

Would you care to share your story with me? I actually do have a degree in nutrition(not RD) but I haven't started my own business. It's hard finding jobs that aren't for Rd's and it's hard enough to find a job after being a stay at home mom. I really have been feeling depressed and stuck lately. I think my best way out is to try my own thing. I'd love to hear from you...you can PM.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics