Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
How long does it take for frozen challah dough to rise?

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 1:50 pm
I had 5 lbs of frozen dough in the freezer. I took it out this morning and it’s still cold and didn’t rise at all. I never froze dough before. Will it rise?

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:48 pm
bump

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:18 pm
I only froze already braided challah and it always rises. You should probably leave it in a very warm place uncovered. It may take hours to rise.

chanitroy

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 3:54 pm
I have never needed a huge lump of dough to defrost and rise... But I regularly use the prebraided raw dough that I bake on my own. I put them on the tray thursday 11 pm. And leave it overnight. I put in the oven by 8 am. 9 hours! So im guessing for a huge lump of dough it would take even more time than that. Good luck!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 4:37 pm
If it's cold but not frozen, separate it and braid into challahs now. That will get things going and then you can rest a clean lightweight kitchen towel on top and allow them to rise.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 4:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it's cold but not frozen, separate it and braid into challahs now. That will get things going and then you can rest a clean lightweight kitchen towel on top and allow them to rise.

That’s a good idea... thanks!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:36 pm
Kineret gives a quick method for their frozen challahs. You preheat the oven to 150, then turn the oven off, then put a pot of hot water on the floor of the oven. Put the challahs on a cookie sheet and put it on a rack in the oven. After around 2 hours (sometimes less), the dough will have thawed and risen.

This is for braided challah, but I would think this could also work for a chunk of frozen dough.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:37 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Kineret gives a quick method for their frozen challahs. You preheat the oven to 150, then turn the oven off, then put a pot of hot water on the floor of the oven. Put the challahs on a cookie sheet and put it on a rack in the oven. After around 2 hours (sometimes less), the dough will have thawed and risen.

This is for braided challah, but I would think this could also work for a chunk of frozen dough.

And then higher oven temp and bake as usual?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads