Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I didn't finish doing all the laundry before the nine days
1  2  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:27 pm
We went away last shabbos, got back Monday, I had like 8-10 loads which I thought I'd for sure do in time... How terrible is it to do laundry during the nine days? Is it same as showering issue, because we are not makpid with that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:29 pm
ask a shailah.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:33 pm
We always do what we need.....

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
We went away last shabbos, got back Monday, I had like 8-10 loads which I thought I'd for sure do in time... How terrible is it to do laundry during the nine days? Is it same as showering issue, because we are not makpid with that.

If you don't have enough undergarments, you can wash items you're missing.

If there's a stain that will get ruined if not washed out on time, you can wash the stain out.

If you have little kids who get dirty all the time and need their clothes washed constantly you can wash for the kids.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:34 pm
I have a load still not finished in the machine right now, and it's shkiah already. I'm assuming I can leave it in? Anyone know?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
I have a load still not finished in the machine right now, and it's shkiah already. I'm assuming I can leave it in? Anyone know?

Why stop a machine if it's already running? I don't stop a machine if it's on before shabbos.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 5:45 pm
Call your Rav, I'm sure you're not the only one calling with this question today. When I asked I was told that a load already in the wash is fine and undergarments and children's clothes can be washed as needed

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 7:04 pm
I believe there are some opinions that say you can add more to your nessecary items to make it a fuller load and not waste water/energy especially if you have an older machine

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 7:09 pm
My Rav said I can wash if I don't have enough clothing and it's dirty. Better to wash together with kids clothing.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 7:11 pm
I just got off the phone with my Rav. He sounded very exasperated when I said I had a laundry question so I assure you OP that we're not the only 2 who didn't finish our laundry...

He told me that I can let anything already in the washer finish and put it into the dryer so it doesn't get ruined, but after that he said it's better to buy new clothing than to wash. I asked to make sure and he said it's for all of us, DH and me and the kids. It's definitely worth calling because you might be very surprised what you hear.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:

No, laundry and showering are not the same halachic issue, so definitely don't just assume you can do laundry during the 9 days without first asking your LOR.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 7:29 pm
Ask your personal LOR, but we're told Rosh Chodesh/Erev Shabbos (tomorrow) is more lenient for laundry

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
I just got off the phone with my Rav. He sounded very exasperated when I said I had a laundry question so I assure you OP that we're not the only 2 who didn't finish our laundry...

He told me that I can let anything already in the washer finish and put it into the dryer so it doesn't get ruined, but after that he said it's better to buy new clothing than to wash. I asked to make sure and he said it's for all of us, DH and me and the kids. It's definitely worth calling because you might be very surprised what you hear.

We’ve been told the same.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:

I’m repeatedly amazed by how many people on IMAMOTHER start threads, looking for answers to halachic questions, which should be posed to a rabbi, not women on this site, who inevitably freely dispense heteirim, just because they say so! I don’t therefore believe that op’s on these types of threads, are sincerely seeking the Halachic answer to their issue, they merely want justification to do the wrong thing. Sad.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Why stop a machine if it's already running? I don't stop a machine if it's on before shabbos.

Are you a rabbi? Why are you paskening?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Indeed, Why keep Halacha whenever it’s inconvenient...?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 4:05 am
amother wrote:
Indeed, Why keep Halacha whenever it’s inconvenient...?

Hmmm. Which halacha do you deem I'm not following, oh sage rabbi?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:29 am
amother wrote:

I love how rabbanim just say this. I know that for myself, we do not have the money to just go out and buy new clothing on a whim. So this is definitely not possible for everyone.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:39 am
amother wrote:
I love how rabbanim just say this. I know that for myself, we do not have the money to just go out and buy new clothing on a whim. So this is definitely not possible for everyone.

My husband gets filthy at work. He has 3 sets of work clothing. He asked the dayan if he should buy more or wash. Dayan said he can wash it. Same with me. My kids make me filthy with their dirty hands while I feed them.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 6:22 am
My girls arrived home from Sleepaway Camp an hour before shkiah. needless to say I couldn't even finish two loads when there was probably about six and I certainly can't afford to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe so I did the wash. I feel like the week it falls is more strict and I did the best I could with the time constraints. If it were my choice they would have come back earlier in the day but it was not.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry